IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

Thanks for the thoughts John.

Could be this particular implementation of Star Quad and wire gauge alright so would also be interested to hear feedback from someone with a good home made star quad compared to the plug and play option presented here.

The passive POE setup has no transformers involved so the 2 pairs in the network cable go direct to the positive and negative on the DC ends.

Works with all network cables i tried from CAT5 up but benefits improve as you go higher, CAT7 was best but someone suggests after tests that CAT8 (hard to find a cheap 1 metre) is even better so I have one on order.

There is no continuity on any of the cables i have between the shielding and the DC negative on the POE ends.

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

Great feedback Quadman and perfectly details the jump in listening pleasure I experienced.

It is all a bit baffling but no doubt about what you will hear as a result.

From my end I managed to get the IR to work with the 1 metre IBRA round Cat7 with double foil shielding. Can be fussy but once it settles in it works reliably from then on.

I also soldered a flying lead to the gold shield on one end of the CAT7 cable and ran this to an earth i have from a spike in the garden, this to bleed off any energy that may be pulled out...no idea if this is what is happening but with 3 of these POE sets in my system the music is incredible.

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

Already have cut up the POE connector and nothing in there Larry.

Just direct connection to the pins.

General consensus seems to be moving towards the cables with greater levels of shielding but early days yet.

Awaiting delivery of 2 types of CAT8 cables to see if any further improvements can be found.

All complete guess work but maybe the shielding is inducting away some crap on even high quality dc supplies :confused:

To give me some better chance of helping the shielding I have soldered grounding lines to the shield on one end of the CAT7 cables and fed these to an earth.

I also cut back a POE connector I use and found at least the DC positive and negative are taken directly off the ends of the wire spring pins from the Ethernet connections so probably best case for this application. I expect there are varying quality cheap POE connector sets out there.

POE connection below, DC wires are multi-strand silvered copper. Pair 1&2 negative and Pair 4&5 positive.

IBRA_Flat_CAT7.jpg

IBRA Round CAT7 with soldered ground wire of shield, easy to solder shield!!

Earth_on_Shield.jpg

We should be careful when lumping cable shielding under one brand since my experience after opening a flat IBRA CAT7 it had really good shielding on the pairs. The foil was really heavy and coated and it took a bit of work to open it.

I will open one of the round IBRA CAT7 cables i have to see how good it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies but not completely gone yet Wushuliu ?

Been waiting forever to receive CAT 8 cables, one Supra 1 metre ordered almost 2 weeks ago and the high quality German cable referenced in Robs thread and still no delivery yet.

What I had done recently was strip back the POE connectors and soldered 4 pins to V+ out an 4 pins to V- out on all cables with 2 pairs on each. This gave a nice improvement and I thought it could not get any better.

Brought my audio PC with all these cables and power supplies to a meet with some of the good audio guys here in Ireland thinking I would be able to blow them out of the water or at least match this new SD card setup.

Unfortunately the SD Card beat the hell out of my audio PC which really surprised me.

The kicker was as soon as i brought my audio PC home and hooked it up to the Big7 with all my power tweaks and cables and speakers the sound was better than what I heard at the meetup.

So either there is great synergy with my Lampizator and cables and speakers that works with my audio PC or something was not good at the meet with using my audio PC on a Soekris modded DAC, a modded Lampi Level 4 and another small DAC through homemade speaker setup.

Either way back to back at the meet the SD player with SLC SD card was exceptional, maybe when i get it running here on the Big 7 and my own speakers and setup it will be an even bigger improvement.

So in summary sticking with the audio PC in my own rig for now until we get one of these modded SD Card units working with my home rig.

Will be exciting if this SD Card player beats my audio PC here at home when i get it soldered up with reclocker and power supplies.

Sorry for the long diversion but anyway the thread seems to have moved away from cheap POE setup to networking and more expensive connectors!!

13 hours ago, lmitche said:

Why do you think comparisons were not made?  A disciplined process was followed. Tests were performed on multiple systems. Outcomes are clearly communicated. What is missing?

Agreed, John and Alex having a great track record of adding value and insight into CA solutions.

Must admit I am also confused with the feedback here as DC cables for DC seems to be contrary to ethernet cables for DC as per what we are investigating here.

Good to see that John is now testing Ethernet for DC so hopefully some good clear feedback soon from the master of clear comms!!

The passive POE do not have any connection to the outer shielding so they just handle the 4 pairs inside the cable.

The good thing I like about the POE connectors is that I can easily swap in and out different CAT cables to see if there is any difference.

So far the higher grade CAT8 cable in my system seems to provide better improvements in sound, and most benefit still seems to come between power source and ISO Regen.

I have not tried any of the outer shielding tweaks others have tried yet so cannot comment on these.

From my side i am just focused on a change that can easily be put in place my the majority of not tweakers to give a big improvement in the sound using the ISO Regen.

It is good to see all the other testing going on and being posted here with different cables and configurations of pairs, with connectors and with shielding but I am guessing the returns on these are much smaller than just adding the CAT cable with POE ends just to get started.

Still amazes me the improvement I have achieved just by adding the CAT7 & CAT8 cables in the DC Lines.

The configuration i am currently using in the POE connectors can be seen in the pictures below.

The first picture is the standard passive setup where the POE connectors are wired, these are visible when you cut away the outer casing.

Its got the Red positive bridging across the pins from 4 & 5 which i think takes one of the wires from 2 separate pairs.

The Black negative is bridging pins 7 & 8 which is using both wires in a pair.

POE_Conns_8.jpg

I basically desoldered these and pooled solder on pairs 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 for Red Positive and the pooled solder on pairs 5 & 6 and 7 & 8 for Black negative.

POE_Conn_4_and_4.jpg

I thought about staggering the pairs but went with the above and very pleased so far.

All good with me if the thread gets moved as the original intention was to share the benefits with as many as possible who have bought the ISO Regen.

So far gretest of benefits for me have come when feeding the ISO Regen but I have been using these cables in several other parts of my chain recently with smaller incremental improvements.

Seriously thinking next to break into all the DC lines in a Meitner MA1 to see what happens by adding CAT7 cables so I expect this discussion could break out into other areas very soon.

Hopefully all this point scoring will run out of gass soon and we get to the bottom of what is going on here, it will help move us to even better DC cable standards where audio is concerned ?

I can vouch for Cornan's recommendation on these supplies, big jump in performance and sound will astonish you.

I went from a Paul Hynes SR7 5v supply through a full paired POE CAT8 input to my ISO Regen to now:

The old Meanwell SMPS 7.5v I had from an old Regen purchase going through a paired POE CAT7 into a LS-HPULN set to 5v out then through a paired POE CAT8 into the ISO Regen and best sound ever.

I was surprised at the improvement.

6 minutes ago, tims said:

Hi Sligolad

Your Paul Hynes SR7 is a pretty awesome PSU. 

Are you using it just to feed the HPULN's?  How much did the SQ improve using the HPULN (fed by the SR7) rather than just using the SR7 by itself?

Thanks

The SR7 only has 5v and 12v rails so I do not use it with the HPULN as I do not want to drop 12v down to 5v.

No point in using the 5v rail into the LS-HPULN set to 5v as it would not be doing much.

The SR7 already feeds the 12v on the Audio PC motherboard, a 5v rail feeds an Oven clock for the Audio PC motherboard, and a 5v rail feeds another LS-HPULN set to 1.35v for RAM on the motherboard in the Audio PC.

As stated I am using a cheap Meanwell SMPS at 7.5v into another LS-HPULN set to 5v, so only a 2.5v drop and it easily beats the 5v out that i previously used from the SR7.

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

Thanks for sharing sligolad! ?

The LS-HPULN (former HC-HPULN) is worth the praise. I cannot beleive the SQ I got from two in series powered by a balanced & isolated toroidal (50+50VAC) feeder supply. It keeps on improving by the hour! ?

Another thing is that I now can listen to -20dB through speakers. Before max -50dB!

One of the finds of the past year alright Cornan, thanks for sharing the site link as I did not realize Michael had set up a new site.

Too many projects at the moment but I finally received the CAT 8 Patchkabel 2000Mhz 1 metre from Germany, took a few weeks to get here!

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/282850879626?ul_noapp=true

Anyway worth the wait as it has jumped to top of the pile for all the cables tested so far, have not had a lot of time listening but as soon as I put it in I could hear the improvement.

It is the most rigid of all the cables tested so far and I did not think to order 2 at the time so I could cut one open.

Going to convert all DC lines in a Meitner MA1 DAC to the IBRA CAT 7 cables at 1 metre to see how they work.

3D printing some tubes to hold the cables in a coiled container for space saving and will post once the experiment is done.

Already converted the Meitner to a SD Card player direct into the digital high speed differential drivers and made a big improvement in listening to redbook files, using SLC SD Cards.

SD Card Player

6 hours ago, marce said:

funnily when I stopped trusting my ears my system improved....

Could not let this go...gave me a chuckle when i seen it ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...