IGNORED

JVS Cheerleads an MQA CD..Sis Boom Bah!

48 minutes ago, Indydan said:

My post is probably borderline childish; but what's the deal with Lavorgna's avatar picture on Audiostream? He looks as if he is releasing a primal scream, or screaming in pain! 

Maybe playing another gig with his boy band will make him feel better!  :D

Typical old farts music - you could see it coming  :P

We find it only works on Curry Night in  a UK country pub. They are only 'miming' to a proper band anyway.

3 minutes ago, Archimago said:

loyal to the Industry

Maybe it's this loyalty/cheerleading that gets him a continuous stream of products to review, invitations to launch events and briefings under NDA.  That is, until you lose your readership by blowing your credibility ... then your value as a messaging conduit is gone.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

6 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

There is something like an identity crisis going on I see it in the press reaction to me at shows. There is confusion in the industry because of our reaction to MQA but many see the pendulum swinging back towards more objectivity as a good thing. 

Good to hear Rt66. Man, you get around :-). It's about time a more objective thinking permeates the hobby after all these years of the cult-of-personalities and their hierarchies of authority figures. I'm sure it's rather obvious to the guy on the street that audio technology is applied science/engineering and doesn't approach anything close to the boundaries of theoretical quantum this or that! And while there is much to learn in the neurosciences, there's no reason to think the neural network architecture is capable of miraculous feats of perception beyond the measurement limits of current objective analysis.

Subjective preference is another matter of course given idiosyncratic determinants of what is "pleasurable"; but that's not what we're arguing about with MQA being able to provide "the sound of the studio" and claims of "there's a problem with digital - it's called blurring"!

8 minutes ago, rickca said:

Maybe it's this loyalty/cheerleading that gets him a continuous stream of products to review, invitations to launch events and briefings under NDA.  That is, until you lose your readership by blowing your credibility ... then your value as a messaging conduit is gone.

Maybe. But as you alluded to, it's only as good as the readership remains faithful to the message. Credibility, like respect, honor, trustworthiness do need to be earned over time. They cannot be bestowed - and certainly not because one knows Bob Stuart or have his business card handy :-).

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

They took all the trees and put them in a tree museum

And they charged the people a dollar and a half just to see them

Joni Mitchell

This is the MQA plan to regain control of distribution.  Most people won't even realize what we've lost till its gone.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

Hey Crenca... Well, I'm surprised at your surprise of my surprise :-).

Yeah. Maybe some things are just irremediable... Will have to see. What is clear is that MQA has overstepped the "balance in the force" and stretched the disagreements between polarities:

- objectivism <--> subjectivism as ways of assessing truth, quality, fidelity, and goals in the hobby

- audiophile magazines <--> forums as sources of reliable information

- industry <--> consumer interests represented in viewpoints

IMO, magazines, certain web sites and individuals like Lavorgna are in an identity crisis of sorts brought on by their loyal to the Industry....

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

There is something like an identity crisis going on I see it in the press reaction to me at shows. There is confusion in the industry because of our reaction to MQA but many see the pendulum swinging back towards more objectivity as a good thing. 

I agree Archimago, MQA has proved to a bridge too far even for this industry, this culture of Audiophiledom.  In the terms I have used, Bob Stuart broke the rules of the confidence game with what is nothing other than an old fashioned overreach.  This has attracted unwanted attention to certain details that the culture of confidence relies on not being unexamined.  A Ted Denney is but one room in a large mansion and lends a bit of fun to the whole enterprise (or as Stereophile describes, his "excellent adventure").  MQA on the other hand reached into every room. This is the "identity crisis" to which you both refer.

However (and lending support to my argument that this culture is irremediable, at least in the short/medium term) the two big trade publications have essentially doubled down on MQA.  Why?  I think they have seen this movie before and have confidence in the resiliency of the Audiophile culture in general and the confidence game in particular.  I think they are largely correct - the only thing that can and will change Audiophiledom is mortality/demographics B|

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

35 minutes ago, crenca said:

However (and lending support to my argument that this culture is irremediable, at least in the short/medium term) the two big trade publications have essentially doubled down on MQA.  Why?  I think they have seen this movie before and have confidence in the resiliency of the Audiophile culture in general and the confidence game in particular.  I think they are largely correct - the only thing that can and will change Audiophiledom is mortality/demographics B|

And in this change add the possibility of neither of the two trade publication being in paper for too much longer!  Yes demographics are changing, I would hate to see the average age of their paper reader.  And ML & JA are not spring chickens either!  :)

You would think the confidence game would be easier to put down in the digital age but it seems like it is even more pervasive.

Jim

5 hours ago, Indydan said:

My post is probably borderline childish; but what's the deal with Lavorgna's avatar picture on Audiostream? He looks as if he is releasing a primal scream, or screaming in pain! 

Maybe playing another gig with his boy band will make him feel better!  :D

Uhm... Is this video supposed to be an attempt at comedy?

I have tried reading along on the pros and cons, but I guess I am more confused now then when i started.

From what I can tell, MQA adds processing and lowers resolution, but might sound better because it reduces timing errors? 

Maybe, I am way off here, but if that is the case, why don't I just truncate everything to 16 bits and run it all through a NOS ladder dac?  Wouldn't that effectively do the same thing? 

17 hours ago, crenca said:

One detail that has me not quite as optimistic as you @Archimago is the taste for MQA on the Roon forum.  Roon strikes me as a product that would attract a good number of the traditional subjectivised audiophile, but I would expect at least half (if not an outright majority) of the customers would be a more modern, "digitally aware" customer.  Yet, my reading of the temp in the room is that at least 2/3 rds are quite positive on MQA.  Roon blames their users for having to accommodate MQA in their code, and I believe them.  I suppose it is time for that Brian Lucey quote again:

"MQA has been targeting the weakest players in our world, the audiophiles.  And they’re targeting those most dependent on pimping new tech, the audiophile press."  

I've also noticed that at the Roon forums. I made a few posts critical of MQA and a few regulars piled in to disagree. There are quite a few fanboys who will attack anyone who is in any way critical of any decisions made by Roonlabs.

Also, Jim Austin has been quietly pushing a pro MQA agenda on the forum. 

12 minutes ago, eclectic said:

I've also noticed that at the Roon forums. I made a few posts critical of MQA and a few regulars piled in to disagree. There are quite a few fanboys who will attack anyone who is in any way critical of any decisions made by Roonlabs.

Also, Jim Austin has been quietly pushing a pro MQA agenda on the forum. 

Anyone who pays their high  monthly subscription or pays 350 or so dollars in advance to an outfit that only exists at all  because of Meridian  shutting down their Sooloos  failure and  could go bust next week is likely to defend  their choice.

For what? So you can find out that  one  of the guys you hear now was 32nd assistant under-drummer twenty years ago  on a record you have never heard of. 

Quoted from 

First Major-Label MQA CD: Steve Reich on Nonesuch. Jason Victor Serinus. 2/19/2018

When played as 24/96 FLAC without MQA, the sound is extremely clear and direct. While well-suited to conveying the complex, shifting patterns that are central to Reich's music, the music sounds somewhat dry and studio-bound. (I can't resist noting the irony of a recording that was made at Air Studios, Lyndhurst Hall, London, and mixed by John Kilgore in New York, sounding dry and airless.) Switch to MQA (mastered by Robert C. Ludwig in Portland, ME), and everything opens up.

Let's tease the obvious issues apart:

There are two RE-mastering studios: Air studios, Lyndhust Hall, London and Ludwig in Portland, ME. 

So here is the other issue: What format was delivered to these to mastering engineers? This would be a good place to start.

Then who was the original MIXING engineer? 

Another issue is the appeal to authority and it's shortcoming and that is

"I can't resist noting the irony of a recording that was made at Air Studios, Lyndhurst Hall, London, and mixed by John Kilgore in New York, sounding dry and airless."

So what JVS is doing at this point is saying that no matter the source tracks provided, no matter that somehow John Kilgore's work, allusionaly bespoke, has been great in the past, but somehow now doesn't have any of the 'magic'. 

And for J.A and to protect CA and Chris from his shenanigans: 

Under section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, education and research.

14 minutes ago, plissken said:

Quoted from 

First Major-Label MQA CD: Steve Reich on Nonesuch. Jason Victor Serinus. 2/19/2018

Let's tease the obvious issues apart:

There are two RE-mastering studios: Air studios, Lyndhust Hall, London and Ludwig in Portland, ME. 

So here is the other issue: What format was delivered to these to mastering engineers? This would be a good place to start.

Then who was the original MIXING engineer? 

Another issue is the appeal to authority and it's shortcoming and that is

So what JVS is doing at this point is saying that no matter the source tracks provided, no matter that somehow John Kilgore's work, allusionaly bespoke, has been great in the past, but somehow now doesn't have any of the 'magic'. 

And for J.A and to protect CA and Chris from his shenanigans: 

Under section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, education and research.

Just to clarify for accuracy.

There were not 3 RE Mastering studios. There was the original recording venue/studio, a studio used to mix, and then a studio used to master.

When Ludwig was done, and felt "something else" was needed (cough, cough..) he sent it out to the Magic MQA Factory to be "de-blurred". There are NO MASTERING TOOLS for MQA. It is post processing DSP that is lossy. His story is so absurd, considering that with 40 years in the business and with every conceivable state of the art tool at his disposal, running it through a crappy software algorithm puts the final special sauce. To say the credibility of this premise is stretched to the limit is an understatement.

So-

Recording done in London, Mix done in New York, and Mastering done in Portland, ME.

In fact we don't know how many ADCs were used..was mixed in the box? Converted to analog then back to digital Same for the mastering.

The whole premise of "de-blurring" is so preposterous is gives me a good laugh daily.