IGNORED

JVS Cheerleads an MQA CD..Sis Boom Bah!

4 hours ago, plissken said:

The issue is that even if that is done to standard I think you will still receive those notices because there are people that are making sure it's turned in because on their own forum they can simply silence people with the ban hammer, and on others they can simply DMCA you.

Not at all, as far as Stereophile is concerned. I have no problem with posters to CA quoting from Stereophile's copyrighted content, as long as the quoted text conforms to the "fair use defense" guidelines. I do request that in those cases the poster include a link to the original so that others can read the entire text if they so wish.

Where I have contacted Chris is where the poster republished so much of the original text that it wouldn't qualify, in my not-uninformed opinion, as "fair use." We take great care not to infringe people's copyrights; we expect others to do likewise. Thank you for doing so.

Regarding the "ban hammer," please note that the entire history of the Stereophile website, IIRC, we have only banned 5 posters, all but one because they refused to include their professional affiliation in their postings. Crenca, Spacehound, Indydan, Archimago, and other members of the "we oppose MQA" fraternity are all still active on Stereophile.com and although RT66indirock hasn't posted on our site for a while, his account isn't blocked.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

4 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

Not at all, as far as Stereophile is concerned. I have no problem with posters to CA quoting from Stereophile's copyrighted content, as long as the quoted text conforms to the "fair use defense" guidelines. I do request that in those cases the poster include a link to the original so that others can read the entire text if they so wish.

Where I have contacted Chris is where the poster republished so much of the original text that it wouldn't qualify, in my not-uninformed opinion, as "fair use." We take great care not to infringe people's copyrights; we expect others to do likewise. Thank you for doing so.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

John Atkinson - You're making a fool of yourself man. Give it up.

You've lost all credibility over the MQA debacle and now you're trying to score consolation points. It's akin to pointing out spelling or grammar errors when you've lost the argument..

19 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

Regarding the "ban hammer," please note that the entire history of the Stereophile website, IIRC, we have only banned 5 posters, all but one because they refused to include their professional affiliation in their postings. Crenca, Spacehound, Indydan, Archimago, and other members of the "we oppose MQA" fraternity are all still active on Stereophile.com and although RT66indirock hasn't posted on our site for a while, his account isn't blocked.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

That's not quite accurate as some of whom you mentioned have been banned at Stereophile verticals. 

Just now, plissken said:

That's not quite accurate as some of whom you mentioned have been banned at Stereophile verticals. 

Of course. I thought it clear that I was speaking on behalf of Stereophile, not AudioStream or the other "verticals', whose editors are free to make their own decisions.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

5 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

While they do have a past association with Meridian and, afaik, help to support Sooloos for them,  it is important to acknowledge that they developed Sooloos and marketed it prior to Meridian's acquisition and that have taken their "intellectual property" when they left Meridian.   I think that the "Sooloos failure"  (whatever that is), is likely more Meridian's failure.

They willingly sold. Acquisition makes it sound like a hostile takeover. 

40 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

While they do have a past association with Meridian and, afaik, help to support Sooloos for them,  it is important to acknowledge that they developed Sooloos and marketed it prior to Meridian's acquisition and that have taken their "intellectual property" when they left Meridian.   I think that the "Sooloos failure"  (whatever that is), is likely more Meridian's failure.

" I think that the "Sooloos failure"  (whatever that is), is likely more Meridian's failure.".

I agree with you. The products were also absurdly priced for the feature set, lagging behind other server solutions for a number of years. Stuart, in his brilliance, was focuses on hardware, and what are now the Roon guys knew that it was software that was going to be more important going forward.

5 hours ago, plissken said:

It was still remastered twice: Air Studios and Bob Ludwig. My read is a PCM format was done at Air Studios and the MQA by Bob Ludwig.

Am I missing something here?

Remasterings are just ego trips by total nonentities. Who ever knows  the name of a 'mastering' so-called 'engineer'? Or cares?

Never seen a statue of one of them, but there's statues of Elvis and Isambard Kingdom Brunel :D

1 hour ago, Spacehound said:

I don't know its previous history but it was a complete failure under Meridian's control, as most things 'Meridian' are.

Both It and Roon are ******* pointless. Only  obsessives ever read 'cover notes' , and even they have to be bored to do it,  and Sooloos/Roon have even more drivel.

And then there are Roon's dopey 'endpoints' It's all bollox.

..have you tried Roon?

6 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

John,

Rt66indierock just posted. See you at the Los Angeles Audio Show.

Take care

4 hours ago, Spacehound said:

Remasterings are just ego trips by total nonentities. Who ever knows  the name of a 'mastering' so-called 'engineer'? Or cares?

Apparently, you do not know or care about mastering but there are some who are extremely talented at it although many are hacks.   The results make that distinction apparent.

5 hours ago, Spacehound said:

Never seen a statue of one of them, but there's statues of Elvis and Isambard Kingdom Brunel :D

Have you seen "Great!," Bob Godfrey's brilliant biography of Brunel?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

10 hours ago, eclectic said:

They willingly sold. Acquisition makes it sound like a hostile takeover. 

How is any of this relevant? They are now an independent company with their own intellectual property. You don't want the product, fine.

The product will succeed or fail on its own. I'm sure the vast majority of subscribers neither know or care where it came from or how it was developed. Why should they?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

8 hours ago, Spacehound said:

I don't know its previous history but it was a complete failure under Meridian's control, as most things 'Meridian' are.

Both It and Roon are ******* pointless. Only  obsessives ever read 'cover notes' , and even they have to be bored to do it,  and Sooloos/Roon have even more drivel.

And then there are Roon's dopey 'endpoints' It's all bollox.

I'm glad you straightened that out for all the subscribers who enjoy Roon and what it adds to their listening experience. 

We all now know that we need counseling for our obsessive compulsions, are bored, engage in pointless behavior,  and are dopey.

And you're the guy that said he doesn't have "beliefs"? What's your above statement? Doesn't sound like your are expressing an opinion, but telling the rest of the world what the "facts" are.  But you seem to be confusing your opinions with fact. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

33 minutes ago, firedog said:

I'm glad you straightened that out for all the subscribers who enjoy Roon and what it adds to their listening experience. 

We all now know that we need counseling for our obsessive compulsions, are bored, engage in pointless behavior,  and are dopey.

And you're the guy that said he doesn't have "beliefs"? What's your above statement? Doesn't sound like your are expressing an opinion, but telling the rest of the world what the "facts" are.  But you seem to be confusing your opinions with fact. 

You aren't necessarily dopey, that's Roon  endpoints. And If I paid that must I would   'justify' Roon too.

"Adds"?  It's bit perfect. As are most of the others.

"Listening"?  You read the extraneous waffle on the screen  with your ears?

Where did I say that I don't have any beliefs?

1 hour ago, firedog said:

How is any of this relevant? They are now an independent company with their own intellectual property. You don't want the product, fine.

The product will succeed or fail on its own. I'm sure the vast majority of subscribers neither know or care where it came from or how it was developed. Why should they?

Did I say I didn't want the product? I have the product and it's great. The discussion was about how Sooloos came to be bought/acquired by Meridian. You're right about that though - it's no longer relevant.

11 hours ago, Brinkman Ship said:

I think that the "Sooloos failure"  (whatever that is), is likely more Meridian's failure.".

I agree with you. The products were also absurdly priced for the feature set, lagging behind other server solutions for a number of years. Stuart, in his brilliance, was focuses on hardware, and what are now the Roon guys knew that it was software that was going to be more important going forward.

Stuart knows no more about  software than the average dog.

And  his history shows he's not so good at hardware either. He had to get  'Stan Curtis'  in to fix one of his disastrous efforts,  and I've never seen any Meridian product reviewed as even   "very good"