IGNORED

The Brinkman Ship MQA Listening Results

27 minutes ago, mansr said:

Do you not agree that such an outcome is every label executive's wet dream?

I don’t think that MQA and what passes for label executives these days have the competence to take over the audio world.

When Spotify, Apple, and more than a smattering of DAC makers embrace MQA, and it starts to become a default standard you can’t opt out of, then I’ll join the barricades too. But so far I think MQA is a losing proposition, all in all.

1 minute ago, HalSF said:

I don’t think that MQA and what passes for label executives these days have the competence to take over the audio world.

When Spotify, Apple, and more than a smattering of DAC makers embrace MQA, and it starts to become a default standard you can’t opt out of, then I’ll join the barricades too. But so I think MQA is a losing proposition, all in all.

Apple is the big one there.  No MQA in the HomePod :)

21 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:
26 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

Could you please provide a link to something I have written where I refer to Computer Audiophile as a "den of deplorables."

You have not written those precise words that I'm aware of. 

In which case, why did you say I did? And in response to your subsequent question, I haven't discussed CA with "other luminaries of audiophilia," other than the recent case of my conversation with Chris Connacker about the Russian origin of the "GFYM" statement.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

6 hours ago, manisandher said:

OK, I have better things to do than take BS to task over this. But there's one thing that's just occurred to me...

If I stream redbook files from Tidal, they sound different to exactly the same files sitting locally on my NAS. This is true irrespective of the software player I use. I'd describe the streamed files as indeed having a 'digital sheen' to them. Perhaps what BS and his host were hearing was down to streaming vs. playing locally?

(I suspect some here will think what I've just described cannot possibly be the case. Alas, it's what I'm hearing.)

Mani.

Absolutely the same observation here...

6 minutes ago, HalSF said:

It’s wonderfully weird to me, HalSF — who is not simply allegedly just another audiophile, but a person who has never written one single kind word about MQA and who has written a bunch of words criticizing it — to discover that I’m part of some homogeneous and “locked in” culture of MQA enablers. All for saying let’s not be assholes.

For the record: I have never said you were an MQA Enabler, nor do I actually think you are one.

Let me make that crystal.

Just on a high horse.  Save your lectures. Look at the bigger picture.

1 hour ago, John_Atkinson said:

In which case, why did you say I did? And in response to your subsequent question, I haven't discussed CA with "other luminaries of audiophilia," other than the recent case of my conversation with Chris Connacker about the Russian origin of the "GFYM" statement.

With due respect, you're being disingenuous.  I asked what your opinion is of CA and you're avoiding the question.  Could it be that if you answered honestly, my original characterization of your sentiments will turn out to be correct and you're trying to cling to your token victory of me agreeing that you didn't actually write the words?  Or are you being careful of what you write on advice of counsel?

1 hour ago, HalSF said:

...All for saying let’s not be assholes.

Why do you think you need to finger wag, or why would you think you have some kind of moral high ground from which to finger wag no matter what your position on MQA is?

As far as I can tell, you are simply privileging style over substance - a kind of "let's all put our jacket and tie on and be good upstanding Audiophiles".  You are saying "Sure, MQA is a fraud and Bob S and all his sycophants are Big Fat Liars, but we need to have a dignified response".  I call bullshit on that, and on your hypocrisy...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

5 minutes ago, crenca said:

Why do you think you need to finger wag, or why would you think you have some kind of moral high ground from which to finger wag no matter what your position on MQA is?

As far as I can tell, you are simply priveligning style over substance - a kind of "let's all put our jacket and tie on and be good upstanding Audiophiles".  You are saying "Sure, MQA is a fraud and Bob S and all his sycophants are Big Fat Liars, but we need to have a dignified response".  I call bullshit on that, and on your hypocrisy...

Can I frame your post? :D

Exactly right. Let's let MQA sell us lossy, DRM garbage that they are telling us is "master quality" and joke

about how Bob Stuart is a clever old chap. Rascal. He almost got us. Cheerio.

3 hours ago, HalSF said:

When Spotify, Apple, and more than a smattering of DAC makers embrace MQA, and it starts to become a default standard you can’t opt out of, then I’ll join the barricades too. But so far I think MQA is a losing proposition, all in all.

I share this view, though that does not mean MQA presents no threat to consumers whatsoever.

2 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

With due respect, you're being disingenuous.  I asked what your opinion is of CA and you're avoiding the question.

If avoiding the question indicates disingenuity then you're clearly tarred with that brush as you avoided answering JA's 'why did you say I did?'.

7 hours ago, knickerhawk said:

. So he called inQuestion: What is the ethical standing of a poster in the MQA-related discussions here who first presents him or herself as objective, neutral or otherwise open to the arguments of both sides but who, in fact, is already decided and conceals a deeply partisan position? Should that person be ashamed of him/herself? Should that person be roundly condemned and then ignored, regardless of whether his position is aligned with one's own?

As soon as I saw the name 'Bob Stuart' I was inclined to think that MQA wouldn't do what was claimed (which has turned out to be true). Evidence? His previous efforts over more than 40 years.

An early effort.The controls fell off one, being attached only with sticky tape, and the other one melted at every available opportunity.

2011EU0507_jpg_l.jpg

11 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

To be fair, he is not a Gort!

Klaatu barada nikto, if I say it three times will MQA go away?

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

25 minutes ago, firedog said:

I'd just like to say that JA has been patient and good natured in his answers here, despite some unpleasant or inaccurate statements thrown in his direction.

Hopefully he will continue to visit the forum when he feels he has something to add.

JA, don't get scared away if a few members get a little nasty.

Yes. Also he remains polite if we say much the same  on Stereophile  as some of us say here  (I deliberately chose my fake name here to be the same as it is on Stereophile). He's not a 'bad' guy, is very experienced, and why  he got involved in this MQA nonsense, other than as 'news', now rather passe',  I cannot imagine.

It's  pity that Lavorgna was banned, though it was fully justified.  The more answers he gave  the deeper the hole he was digging for himself became. He also had a high entertainment value as one of  MQA's court jesters.