IGNORED

The Brinkman Ship MQA Listening Results

40 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

And did you also find aliasing and other artifacts, as did Paul Miller and Archimago?:ph34r:

I take your point on the Exlporer 2. But this 'error' is different.

Aliasing.  You find what you are looking for, then stop.

That  the wheels fell off later when you were deliberately  looking the other way, is not reported :P

And it's from Stuart, a man with a 40 year record of failure. Which the magazines know as well as I do.

8 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

No, it was not clear. Thank you at last for admitting your error.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

While we are at it, here is Lavorgna's report on the Bluesound Node 2/MQA:

"..this MQA version is among the most extraordinary sounding digital I've heard. There was a uncanny soft naturalness to Jim Morrison's voice that belied both the digitalness of the format and the relatively modest system in use. Every other musical aspect of "Riders On The Storm" was given the same natural, or perhaps better stated as you-are-there, sound. Stunning.

https://www.audiostream.com/content/bluesound-plays-mqa#0c3It4YuvSgPZwpe.99

6 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I stand by my previous statement and don't think I need to elaborate.

Not sure why you won’t. I’m just trying to get an answer for my very first question to you about where to find information and referrals on new Hi-Fi speakers. You are very clear that you think the loose community of blogs and unpaid public at large is the way forward to getting honest assessment of audio gear and all I’m trying to find out is where that is?  Do I need to go to numerous sites and pick through bit’s of information from anonymous posters?  Is there a clearing house for those comments on speakers?  Quite simply where do I go?

David

6 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

But both Jim Austin and Michael Lavorgna, your MQA lap dogs, DID use the Explorer 2 to rave about MQA.

That is a fact.

Lol!  I was just picturing Michael sitting up and barking!  I think he would!  Hey, couple of cocktails, comfort amongst friends....

David

2 minutes ago, realhifi said:

Not sure why you won’t. I’m just trying to get an answer for my very first question to you about where to find information and referrals on new Hi-Fi speakers. You are very clear that you think the loose community of blogs and unpaid public at large is the way forward to getting honest assessment of audio gear and all I’m trying to find out is where that is?  Do I need to go to numerous sites and pick through bit’s of information from anonymous posters?  Is there a clearing house for those comments on speakers?  Quite simply where do I go?

Try finding magazines with measurements, shortlist then audition. (HiFiNews, AVHub, Soundstage, Stereophile, etc.)

Ignore listening reports.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

1 minute ago, semente said:

Try finding magazines with measurements, shortlist then audition. (HiFiNews, AVHub, Soundstage, Stereophile, etc.)

Ignore listening reports.

Yes, thank you. Was really just trying to make a point on this but not having a whole lot of luck. 

David

9 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

While we are at it, here is Lavorgna's report on the Bluesound Node 2/MQA:

"..this MQA version is among the most extraordinary sounding digital I've heard. There was a uncanny soft naturalness to Jim Morrison's voice that belied both the digitalness of the format and the relatively modest system in use. Every other musical aspect of "Riders On The Storm" was given the same natural, or perhaps better stated as you-are-there, sound. Stunning.

https://www.audiostream.com/content/bluesound-plays-mqa#0c3It4YuvSgPZwpe.99

Hey, thanks for that link.  Been thinking about that piece. 

David

23 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

I'm in the UK and have heard of it. But I don't know, nor care, where it is.  It's probably near Slough.

"Oh come, friendly bomb, and fall on Slough"

- John Betjeman, one time 'Royal Poet' several years after WW2 :)

BTW:

"Thome people  thay I lithp, but I mythelf don't think tho. Hear me thay thethe thimple wordth, thugar, thoap, and thago"

Just kidding. It is in Essex's, and does get a mention on The Only Way Is Essex now and again.  B|

15 minutes ago, realhifi said:

Yes, thank you. Was really just trying to make a point on this but not having a whole lot of luck. 

And let us parse through this:

"..this MQA version is among the most extraordinary sounding digital I've heard."

and through such a state of the art DAC as the Bluesound! Wow. And did anyone see a comparison to the

definitive Bruce Botnick 24/96 remasters? Me neither.

35 minutes ago, realhifi said:

Not sure why you won’t. I’m just trying to get an answer for my very first question to you about where to find information and referrals on new Hi-Fi speakers. You are very clear that you think the loose community of blogs and unpaid public at large is the way forward to getting honest assessment of audio gear

Perhaps that is how you interpreted it, but it's not what I said:

The best answer I can offer is to seek out those with a demonstrated commitment to technical facts and objectivity and avoid those still heavily invested in the current professional audiophile pundit system.

58 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

And still waiting for your admission that I didn't "rave" about the sound of MQA files with the Bluesound gear.

Speaking of waiting, I don't suppose you''ll disclose the the reasons you gave MQA your raw mic recordings plus impulse files? Maybe also tell us how MQA will get the same for >99% of commercial recordings released.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

40 minutes ago, realhifi said:

It's not perfect but it's about the most honest  way there is.

Anonymous? So are you.

1 hour ago, Brinkman Ship said:

There are at least a dozen far more directly critical threads that were torched.

That might be, I don't know, but there are still many highly critical threads to be found at AA. For example

BTW, it is a fair question to know more about the songs/albums you compared and how you were able to confirm the same mastering. Then again, JA has been quite coy when asked the same question about his personal files.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

24 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

It's not perfect but it's about the most honest  way there is.

Anonymous? So are you.

I’m not giving recommendations or reviewing audio gear.  By the way, I certainly wasn’t disparaging anyone for having an anonymous handle on a any forum. 

David

20 minutes ago, manisandher said:

Where's your list of MQA albums with 24 bit downloads from the same master?

If you think you're going to get away with this, you're not.

Mani.

"Get away with this"? Don't make me laugh.

You and any other posters will be ignored if you ask again. Just like I was IGNORED when I asked

Michael Fremer, Herb Reichert, John Darko, and numerous others to provide me with the same data

about 24 bit downloads used to compare to MQA.

I did my homework, no spoon feeding to forum police or trolls.

So bye bye.

20 minutes ago, realhifi said:

I’m not giving recommendations or reviewing audio gear.  By the way, I certainly wasn’t disparaging anyone for having an anonymous handle on a any forum. 

You have given recommendations. And personally I thought most of them were good. And within the desired price range, which is better still.

Anonymous? OK. But lots of people 'accuse' other of being anonymous as though it was some kind of 'impairment' to their judgement. Stereophile staff (and Lavorgna, as he's banned all the 'rude mechanicals')  use it almost every time  if a comment is adverse. So I'm a bit 'touchy' about it.

1 minute ago, Spacehound said:

Anonymous? OK. But lots of people 'accuse' other of being anonymous as though it was some kind of 'impairment' to their judgement. Stereophile staff (and Lavorgna, as he's banned all the 'rude mechanicals')  use it almost every time  if a comment is adverse. So I'm a bit 'touchy' about it.

Wasn’t making that connection. But if someone was accusing me of something and they were an anonymous poster then for sure I’d be upset and looking for them to man up and at least say who they are. 

David