IGNORED

The Brinkman Ship MQA Listening Results

Just now, realhifi said:

Not 100%sure what you mean but do you want to know percentages?  Also, could you narrow the “professional audiophile pundits” down to whether you mean print, online, paid subscription, free and of course whether you would include the editor of this site in your “pundits” group?

In my vernacular, a professional audiophile pundit is someone whose "day job" is primarily to generate reviews of new audio gear or tech (like MQA).  So it could be print or online, free or paid subscription.  But the important distinction is, as ML puts it, "people who do this for a living".

3 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Not only did he correct that bit, but you acknowledged his correction as well.  Which makes the motivation for this particular post at least suspect.

Why? Brinkman Ship has already made one demonstrably false post, apologise or not. There  is no good  reason to trust him 'forever' after that. Thus JA's check. ..

2 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

In my vernacular, a professional audiophile pundit is someone whose "day job" is primarily to generate reviews of new audio gear or tech (like MQA).  So it could be print or online, free or paid subscription.  But the important distinction is, as ML puts it, "people who do this for a living".

So a paid audio journalist is what you are referring to. 

David

Just now, John_Atkinson said:

Really? Yes, he corrected his statement that I auditioned MQA with a Meridian Explorer2, for which I thanked him, but I didn't see a retraction about Bluesound, just an ambiguous comment that he was taking about other people. I would like him to admit that he was incorrect specifically about  my auditioning. Surely you feel accuracy is important, even when it concerns people with whom you disagree?

Do I think you're entitled to post here under the pretense of reputation management?  Sure.

Just now, John_Atkinson said:

The polarity of both channels is correct with the MQA-encoded files I have analyzed.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

Sorry John, it was meant as a joke; the way the first post describes the sound of MQA reminded me of a speaker out of phase.

But thanks for providing the information.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

5 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

The polarity of both channels is correct with the MQA-encoded files I have analyzed.

Am I correct that you're the only person on earth who got personal files encoded with MQA?  Any advice to those who have been having trouble getting Bob Stuart to encode additional files so that they can be analyzed?  Is it simply a function of personal relationship?

5 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

"journalist" to me implies some formal education in journalism, and the ethics of objectivity that come with it.  I think a more technically accurate descriptor in this context is, "pundit".

So I’m guessing you feel we should no longer have an “Audio Press” such as Absolute Sound, Stereophile, What Hi-Fi”,  Tone Audio, Hi-Fi+, etc, etc.?

David

17 minutes ago, realhifi said:

So I’m guessing you feel we should no longer have an “Audio Press” such as Absolute Sound, Stereophile, What Hi-Fi”,  Tone Audio, Hi-Fi+, etc, etc.?

It's the "ethics" that amused me.

These things are merely vehicles for advertising with just  enough  content for  some people to buy them. No more than that.  And the owning group have zero interest in what any of their set of magazines is about as long as each meets its advertising revenue target  One (non audio) magazine  I occasionally read,  its  fellow magazines cover   knitting, fishing, model  airplanes,  'craft'. and toy soldiers/war games, among a few others I am unaware of.

13 minutes ago, mansr said:

That, and unquestioning willingness to heap praise on it, I suspect.

Surely not, nobody would do that. :D

er..

In almost 40 years of attending audio press events, only rarely have I come away feeling that I was present at the birth of a new world. In March 1979, I visited the Philips Research Center in Eindhoven, Holland and heard a prototype of what was to be later called the Compact Disc. In the summer of 1982, I visited Ron Genereux and Bob Berkovitz at Acoustic Research's lab near Boston and heard a very early example of the application of DSP to the correction of room acoustic problems. And in early December, at Meridian's New York offices, I heard Bob Stuart describe the UK company's MQA technology, followed by a demonstration that blew my socks off.

30 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

Why? Brinkman Ship has already made one demonstrably false post, apologise or not. There  is no good  reason to trust him 'forever' after that. Thus JA's check. ..

"demonstrably false post"?

I think that is a characterization. I'm sorry but that implies I meant to mislead.

I made a simple mistake of attributing the Explorer2 to Aktinson, when it was the Prime.

Not a huge difference. And I owned up to it.

1 hour ago, John_Atkinson said:

I was surprised by this, so I checked. That doesn't appear to be the case. All the most recent threads at the Audio Asylum, with predominantly anti-MQA content, are still there:

https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=critics&m=91543

https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=critics&m=91202

https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=critics&m=90966

https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=critics&m=90532

Perhaps you are mistaken, just as you were when you wrote that I "raved" about the sound of MQA files with the Bluesound gear

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile.

Utterly misleading post here.

These are not even in the same universe as the threads that were removed, and one is even from a few days ago.

You really must try hard for those "gotcha moments".  The fact that these four threads are still in place in no

way refutes by claim.

There are at least a dozen far more directly critical threads that were torched.

6 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

You can screw up a soundstage without messing polarity.

I won't contest that. Can you suggest a few potential causes?

Significant top end roll-off?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

18 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Back to Basildon are we, as it's in Ethics, a county like Suthex, or Wethexs.

I'm in the UK and have heard of it. But I don't know, nor care, where it is.  It's probably near Slough.

"Oh come, friendly bomb, and fall on Slough"

- John Betjeman, one time 'Royal Poet' several years after WW2 :)

BTW:

"Thome people  thay I lithp, but I mythelf don't think tho. Hear me thay thethe thimple wordth, thugar, thoap, and thago"

5 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

Nope and nope. And still waiting for your admission that I didn't "rave" about the sound of MQA files with the Bluesound gear.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

I was clear that you did not use the Bluesound gear. If I was not clear before, it is stated here for the record.

But you raved about MQA, and have doubled down on that. That is on the record, and will be part of your legacy.

8 minutes ago, semente said:

I won't contest that. Can you suggest a few potential causes?

Significant top end roll-off?

Even a 12 year old with Audacity can you use the "Spread the Soundfield" plug in, or similar in Adobe Audtion, and many others.

There are many other ways, including EQ.

MQA is trash processing, and is not even bit perfect like a piece of freeware.