IGNORED

Allo Digione

Well , we also take responsibility . Crab was emailing us over the weekend no one was answering . He lost patience .

RPI cannot be bricked (bios is running in GPU I think) , it was just a matter to re flash the SD card.

Anyway , we are issuing him a refund.

my apologies for how i conducted myself in this thread.  i was unreasonably impatient and heated.  i am now just afraid i have damaged the bios by updating to 6.5 and i am afraid i will further mess things up when trying to reflash a microsd because of my inexperience with these things.  

On 12/25/2017 at 5:42 PM, allo.com said:

In my opinion DigiOne will not benefit greatly from a ultra low noise PSU.

If you want to try you could try removing the isolated DC/DC convertor and use 2 PSUs to feed the RPI and DigiOne

Could you please show how to use a separate PSU to feed DigiOne? I have a LT 1083, and also a 7V Rcore at hand but just don't know what to remove and where to solder on DigiOne.

Why do you use an external PSU ? The default 5V/3A is quite sufficient. The performance is greater than an ifi ipower for example. I compared the allo PSU to an ifi ipower on several devices (Squeezebox Touch, interface DXIO Pro3Z) and the result is reproductible. Now, the ifi ipower is stored in a box.

Source : QNAP TS-131, LMS 7.9, Player Digione

Amp+Cables+Speakers : FDA V200, Audioprana Ag Cryo 4 brins, Atohm GT2

On 4/7/2018 at 2:30 PM, chauphuong said:
On 12/25/2017 at 8:42 PM, allo.com said:

In my opinion DigiOne will not benefit greatly from a ultra low noise PSU.

If you want to try you could try removing the isolated DC/DC convertor and use 2 PSUs to feed the RPI and DigiOne

Could you please show how to use a separate PSU to feed DigiOne? I have a LT 1083, and also a 7V Rcore at hand but just don't know what to remove and where to solder on DigiOne.

If the manufacturer is not recommending modification of their equipment, by default I'd expect that you'll be on your own and I wouldn't expect them to be overly forthcoming with suggestions. My reasoning is that there's bound to be at least one unreasonable person out there who complains bitterly when an unsanctioned modification goes awry but if some sort of guide (even a very rough one) is provided by the manufacturer, then they've opened themselves up to potential liability claims. The safest thing for Allo is to stick to their line of, "modifications are not recommended and if you do, the warranty is void".

Looks like you don't really need to mess with the PSU (as long as the details below were achieved with the Allo standard power supply, or similar) according to this:

https://allo.com/sparky/digione.html

Then we went to work

10 LDOs, 12 LPF, DC/DC convertors, galvanic isolator, WM8805, flip flops, buffers, NDK oscillators.

Optical had to go… by definition it has a jitter of 4ns. That’s 4000ps. We simply removed it. However, optical has galvanic isolation so we took the decision to use a digital isolator instead that separates the outputs from both RPI and WM8805.

DigiOne has 2 outputs: BNC and plain RCA (coaxial). On both, we have achieved jitter of 0.6ps (1 picosecond – time taken by light in a vacuum to travel approximately 0.30 mm).

Compatibility

The Digione has a galvanic isolator for both power and signals. You do not need an extra isolator. As well, DigiOne has a double reclocking of the S/PDIF stream (one of them taking care of metastability and the second one taking care of realigning the data). You do not need another reclocker (like Kali).

Apart from certain Dutch reviewers making subjective claims regarding the use of an LPSU, have you got an objective basis to give yourself cause to use an LPSU? Or is it just a case of belt, braces and a piece of string for a waist band?

A few simple upgrades to try

Go into playback settings 

Ensure Very High Quality playback

I am using 24/96 and this is also worth playing with to see what you prefer

Makes a difference using good isolation I am now using two Black Ravioli pads underneath the DigiOne 

I like the idea of bi-passing dc to dc converter on the pi 

DigiOne with custom PSU (Supercaped) Coherent Audio Meicord Ethernet Cable IFI USB Silencer x 2Caiman SEQ modified by Coherent Supercaped 

Amps  2x Philips Black Tulips 370 (one per channel) for PRV drivers. Berhinger INuke 3000 for bass drivers

DIY No Baffle speakers PRV 5MR450-NDY and Selenium Neo Bass drivers in Isobarek configuration  

On 4/9/2018 at 9:24 PM, chauphuong said:

Thanks but I will do the modification sooner or later (still looking a suitable case). By the way,  I have used a rcore transformer with a LT1963 then to 3 LT 3045s that provide 5v,  3.3 v,  and 1.8 v power directly to Pi bypassing the switching dc-dc converter on Pi. The result is quite impressive,  a lot better than iPower. Also have plugged the DigiOne into Pi (DigiOne is still powered by Pi) to compare with a Pi + Singxer SU1(modded) combo. Alias , Singxer SU1 beats DigiOne hands down.  Hence the intention to do further with externally powering DigiOne. Anyhow,  DigiOne is not Berkeley Alpha price wise so why not messing up a little bit. 

Ok we will post the modification doc. Please note that you will invalidate warranty

On 9.4.2018 at 9:24 PM, chauphuong said:

By the way,  I have used a rcore transformer with a LT1963 then to 3 LT 3045s that provide 5v,  3.3 v,  and 1.8 v power directly to Pi bypassing the switching dc-dc converter on Pi. The result is quite impressive,  a lot better than iPower. Also have plugged the DigiOne into Pi (DigiOne is still powered by Pi) to compare with a Pi + Singxer SU1(modded) combo. Alias , Singxer SU1 beats DigiOne hands down.

I'm really surprised to read, that a modded Singxer SU-1 fed by the poor USB output of RPi is better than RPi/Digione. Please let us know the results with Digione being fed externally!

4 hours ago, steklo said:

I'm really surprised to read, that a modded Singxer SU-1 fed by the poor USB output of RPi is better than RPi/Digione. Please let us know the results with Digione being fed externally!

I'm always skeptical when someone posts an opinion like this and doesn't share system or any background on their level of audio experience.  In my testing with Roon using a Hifiberry Digi+ and Raspberry Pi 2/3B+ vs ISOREGEN/Schiit Eitr feed by Pi USB,  the Hifiberry is clearly superior... and its supposed to be of lesser quality than the Digione. I doubt that the SIngxer is better than my USB solution.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 09/04/2018 at 8:38 PM, Johnjc said:

A few simple upgrades to try

Go into playback settings 

Ensure Very High Quality playback

I am using 24/96 and this is also worth playing with to see what you prefer

Makes a difference using good isolation I am now using two Black Ravioli pads underneath the DigiOne 

I like the idea of bi-passing dc to dc converter on the pi 

What does ‘Ensure Very High Quality Feedback’ do exactly? Does it make any difference if only using Roon?

I am using volumio

worth looking in what ever software you are using on the pi

DigiOne with custom PSU (Supercaped) Coherent Audio Meicord Ethernet Cable IFI USB Silencer x 2Caiman SEQ modified by Coherent Supercaped 

Amps  2x Philips Black Tulips 370 (one per channel) for PRV drivers. Berhinger INuke 3000 for bass drivers

DIY No Baffle speakers PRV 5MR450-NDY and Selenium Neo Bass drivers in Isobarek configuration  

1 hour ago, Johnjc said:

I am using volumio

worth looking in what ever software you are using on the pi

I own 3 distribs: Volumio, dietpi and picoreplayer. I tested only one (Volumio) for the moment. 

Several feedback said that between Volumio and Dietpi, no differences perceived on the sound. Diepi seems to have more functionalities.

I have not seen any feedback on picoreplayer by LMS users with the Digione.

Source : QNAP TS-131, LMS 7.9, Player Digione

Amp+Cables+Speakers : FDA V200, Audioprana Ag Cryo 4 brins, Atohm GT2

Here’s my setup:

Raspberry Pi3 w/Allo Digione Player (Wired), Max2Play w/Logitech Music Server 7.9 and SqueezeLite, Pioneer Elite VSX 80. I watch TV and movies using 5.1 surround sound, but 2.1 stereo for music. Using a brand new coax cable for the Digione.

I’m having with problems with stereo music playback .  Music playback  through the Digione Player has a  very dominant left channel, but when a stereo program from TV is  played (through an HDMI input) there's no balance issue. I can adjust the balance for music which solves the problem, but it doesn’t “stick” and I have to readjust it every time I switch from TV to music, which is kind of a pain.

Is there a way to trouble shoot this?  Thanks.

I've seen on some pictures labeled with 1.1, is this actually the latest version pls?

Question: Just in case one of those LPSU from AQVOX would or could however make sense ..... the one I have is USB-B ended so I need to use an adapter  USB-B -> USB-micro .... would this adapter ruin the SQ however ???

I received today my DigiOne.

I use to feed my RPI-3B by a power bank 5V/2,5A which works perfect with an AlloBoss-Player as well as with an USB-DAC, BUT..... once I attached the DigiOne the RPI simply doesn't start ........ any hints what the issue could be?