IGNORED

Allo Digione

So what does this error mean:

digione.thumb.png.777510849b0b9f221467dc8884344867.png

I am getting crazy with this piece of **ARGHHH!!!!** .... it doesnt work, i reflashed the card several times, allways the same, it does not play any content nor webradio....nothing!!! I tried with a new RPI-3B+ and with a RPI-3B 3 months old but it does not work!!!

On 14.4.2018 at 9:51 PM, Ampega said:

I've seen on some pictures labeled with 1.1, is this actually the latest version pls?

I answer myself as I dont get support from Allo. I received one which is labeled V1.2, still dont know whether it is the latest version.

36 minutes ago, Ampega said:

I am getting crazy with this piece of **ARGHHH!!!!** .... it doesnt work, i reflashed the card several times, allways the same, it does not play any content nor webradio....nothing!!! I tried with a new RPI-3B+ and with a RPI-3B 3 months old but it does not work!!!

Sometimes you have to click "SAVE" a few times to get alsa to connect to the card.  Also try resetting and saving the mixer and DSD settings.  Also try a couple of restarts without reflashing the card.  I've found it takes a few tries at saving the Playback Options.  It can behave a little randomly sometimes.  I assume you're using the latest version of Volumio?

3 hours ago, zackthedog said:

Sometimes you have to click "SAVE" a few times to get alsa to connect to the card.  Also try resetting and saving the mixer and DSD settings.  Also try a couple of restarts without reflashing the card.  I've found it takes a few tries at saving the Playback Options.  It can behave a little randomly sometimes.  I assume you're using the latest version of Volumio?

Thanks, this was the (desperating)  issue.

OK, it is the newest RPI-3B+ when coupled with the DigiOne that causes problems depending on which PSU.

RPI-3B+ & DigiOne:

- didn't work with the RPI Goobay PSU 5V/2.5A

- didn't work with power bank 5V/2.5A

- didn't work with Tascam PS-P520 5V/2A

but surprisingly  to me,

- did work with AQVOX 5V/1A (gets hot!!!)

- and did work attached on a notebook's USB.

Coupled with a RPI-3B (without "+") it works under all mentioned PSU incl. the power bank.

31 minutes ago, r11bordo said:

allo provides a very good PSU 5V/3A for the audio and for the Digione player.

Well, on my country's Amazon they have only one single distributer of their stuff and he does not carry any separated PSU, you need to order the whole package consisting of RPI, PSU, sdcard, case and ALLO whatever HAT, senseless.

I dont like being restricted to only one seller btw, they should consider this policy.

I think this Digione PSU is older (around 2 yrs??), the rev. RPI-3B+ started few months ago so it could be kind of a mismatch.

1 minute ago, Ampega said:

I think this Digione PSU is older (around 2 yrs??), the rev. RPI-3B+ started few months ago so it could be kind of a mismatch.

Humm, not sure to understand, the new RPI doesn't work any more with a 5V PSU ? I think it is ... And the recommandation for this new RPI version is 5V/2,5A. Il you had an additionnal card, so, it seems logical that a 5V/2,5A PSU may become not sufficient to power the RPI card plus the Digione audio card, I think.

Source : QNAP TS-131, LMS 7.9, Player Digione

Amp+Cables+Speakers : FDA V200, Audioprana Ag Cryo 4 brins, Atohm GT2

As I wrote new Rpi + Digione works perfect on an Aqvox PSU which according to its label delivers only 1A but did not work with two other PSU which deliver 2,5A.

I now attached the Digione to an old Rpi-3B and it is burning in so far with no issues since 20hrs at a power bank (5V/2,5A), that did also not work yday with new Rpi-3B+.

Will operate the Digione only with a RPI-3B and use the 3B+ elsewhere.

Short update: I have meanwhile been using the DigiOne (on a Raspberry Pi 3B powered by an ifi iPower SMPS) in parallel with my default system (fitPC3 + M2Tech hiFace Evo, both powered by Teddy Pardo LPSUs) for a few months and I now tend to prefer the DigiOne to the default system. The glare in the heights has gone and the DigiOne sounds slightly more engaging than the default system. Both the default and the DigiOne systems are running MinimServer and upmpdcli under a very minimal Debian (Raspbian) installation. 

Next, I would like to try powering the Raspberry Pi hosting the DigiOne with a high quality linear power supply. Are there any updates on the DigiOne Signature project mentioned a few pages back in this thread? Thanks, nbpf

Before to try a high quality linear power, you can try, if you can, the basic PSU 5V/3A sold with the player Digione. I own both ifi ipower and the allo PSU, there is no comparison in my opinion. The Player Digione seems under powered with the ifi ipower and the Digione seems very limited with the ifi PSU. I observed the same behaviour on my hold drive, a Squeezebox Touch.

The allo PSU offers a great surprise by testing it and compare it with other kind of PSU.  

Source : QNAP TS-131, LMS 7.9, Player Digione

Amp+Cables+Speakers : FDA V200, Audioprana Ag Cryo 4 brins, Atohm GT2

20 hours ago, r11bordo said:

Before to try a high quality linear power, you can try, if you can, the basic PSU 5V/3A sold with the player Digione. I own both ifi ipower and the allo PSU, there is no comparison in my opinion. The Player Digione seems under powered with the ifi ipower and the Digione seems very limited with the ifi PSU. I observed the same behaviour on my hold drive, a Squeezebox Touch.

The allo PSU offers a great surprise by testing it and compare it with other kind of PSU.  

Thanks, I am going to try the Allo PSU but on the long term I am looking for a high quality linear PSU to power SCBs and external drive enclosures. Does anyone use PSUs from http://www.custom-hifi-cables.co.uk/home to power Raspberry Pi devices? 

On 4/21/2018 at 3:31 PM, Ampega said:

I do not use Volumio regularly but I gave it a try last weekend and did not come across the error: the downloaded Volumio image worked out of the box on a RPi 3B + DigiOne combination.

3 minutes ago, steklo said:

I'm also waiting urgently for an answer by Allo!

"Anyway we are developing a new DigiOne (signature) that runs on pure battery power with lots of film capacitors .."

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154299.msg1650906#msg1650906

Interesting, thanks! Beside power supply and clocking, isolation is probably crucial for reference sound quality. If they anyway need more space for the power supply, a larger board and a high quality case could perhaps also help improving isolation. A high quality case is going to make the device more expensive, of course. But then, the Innuos, Antipodes, etc. are also not exactly cheap ...

51 minutes ago, Ampega said:

Don't think they will launch another DigiOne as they seem to be focused only on new Nirvana card, what ever that is/will be......

Never heard of a Nirvana card, can you provide a pointer to it? Thanks, nbpf

1 hour ago, nbpf said:

Thanks! In answering the question stated in the link above, Allo reply by saying that Nirvana is a new ultra low noise 5V SMPS, if I am not mistaken. Nothing preventing them from developing a "signature" DigiOne, I guess.

I would rather prefer they deliver the steel case for DigiOne they have been promising since quite a few time. Elsewhere I read Aloo saying they were only focused on those new products so I understood they do not invest any efforts elsewhere than as mentioned.