IGNORED

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

• 1 month later...
Hey guys,

The latest licensed Thesycon Driver (For Windows PC) v5.12.0 is available to download here: link.

[IMG] 

TUSBAudio - Thesycon USB Audio 2.0 Class Driver for Windows

Revision History
-----------------------------------------------------
V5.12.0 (May 18, 2021)
-----------------------------------------------------
* New: MIDI pipe statistics in the Spy utility
* New: several registry parameters for MIDI added
* Fix: switch preferred ASIO buffer size with driver package containing MIDI only and audio devices
* Chg: MIDI RX now uses USB flow control
* Chg: improved ISO packet error check
* Chg: scripts use Python 3.9.1 now
* Chg: DCK needs Windows 10 now
* Chg: documentation
* Chg: one channel can be part of more than 4 sound devices now

Alvin Chee, Vinshine Audio Pte. Ltd (Singapore)

Loyalty Program

A small gesture initiative to reward our Loyal Customers - Loyalty Program - Join Us Now!

thanks Alvin 👌

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

• 4 weeks later...

Hoping someone can help me with an optimal setup/config for the Terminator Plus & Hermes DDC using HQPlayer upsampling via a USB input to I2S output to the T+. In short, I use Roon Core on a NUCi7 and plan to setup a HQPlayer on a new M1 Mac Mini. The key question is what NAA device to use for USB input to the Hermes. I was planning a Raspberry Pi4 running native HQP NAA or Ropieee XL but research seems to indicate this will limit me to 192khz when using the Hermes I2S output. I want to use DSD upsampling to DSD256 but can't seem to get clear info on what NAA device will give me this using the I2S output. My options are 1-Pi4 + software (assuming I am wrong about the 192khz limit, 2-an older Celeron Intel NUC I have laying around where I can install either DietPi with NAA/Roon Bridge or the native HQP embedded on linux, or 3-direct connect the M1 Mac Mini running HQPlayer via USB into the Hermes (but I understand that the Mac has limits here and might not support the native DSD256 (DOP only?) via the Hermes to T+.

So all this has me more than a little confused as to the best HQPlayer config using an all Denafrips DDC + DAC. Anyone with experience that can share best practices here for SQ?

BTW: I haven't ordered the T+ and Hermes yet pending getting my setup sorted out. Already have the M1 MM however.

Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2021 at 5:15 PM, mrwiggles said:

Hoping someone can help me with an optimal setup/config for the Terminator Plus & Hermes DDC using HQPlayer upsampling via a USB input to I2S output to the T+. In short, I use Roon Core on a NUCi7 and plan to setup a HQPlayer on a new M1 Mac Mini. The key question is what NAA device to use for USB input to the Hermes. I was planning a Raspberry Pi4 running native HQP NAA or Ropieee XL but research seems to indicate this will limit me to 192khz when using the Hermes I2S output. I want to use DSD upsampling to DSD256 but can't seem to get clear info on what NAA device will give me this using the I2S output. My options are 1-Pi4 + software (assuming I am wrong about the 192khz limit, 2-an older Celeron Intel NUC I have laying around where I can install either DietPi with NAA/Roon Bridge or the native HQP embedded on linux, or 3-direct connect the M1 Mac Mini running HQPlayer via USB into the Hermes (but I understand that the Mac has limits here and might not support the native DSD256 (DOP only?) via the Hermes to T+.

So all this has me more than a little confused as to the best HQPlayer config using an all Denafrips DDC + DAC. Anyone with experience that can share best practices here for SQ?

BTW: I haven't ordered the T+ and Hermes yet pending getting my setup sorted out. Already have the M1 MM however.

Much appreciated.

Anyone?

This computer stick was recommended to me and works extremely well for HQP NAA;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MeLE-J3355-PCG02-APL-64GB/dp/B08T6CT5VL

You may also  be able to pick up some tips in the Denafrips review, Taking the Terminator to 11 in the review section on this site.

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s
On 7/11/2021 at 8:24 PM, mrwiggles said:

Anyone?

I used a Hermes for a hot minute with my Venus II - I already have a USB --> HDMI/LVDS i2S DDC device I was using. Using i2S and HQPlayer, as well as an Rpi4 as the NAA (using the HQP NAA image, very lightweight on the Pi), I was able to get 384 PCM and DSD 256 working, which is the limit of the Amanero Combo384 USB input module on my homebrew DDC using Ian Canada parts. The Hermes - I don't recall the limits, but I was not limited to 192 PCM via i2S. Basically, the i2S input on DF DACs should give you just as much "range" as the USB input - so DSD1024 and PCM x32. 

I can say the combo of a Pi4, a nice, clean power supply for it, and a decent USB cable - forget the DDC for a moment - straight into my Venus II USB input, using HQPlayer PCM 768, Sinc Mx filter, LNS15 noise shaping? It's fantastic. DSD256 is even more impressive spatially, but it takes a hell of a machine to pull off using optimal settings. 

Anyway, this got kinda nerdy and technical, but suffice to say - you should not have any issue with a Pi4 (use a good PSU, I use a battery supply for it), HQPlayer, HQPlayer NAA image, USB out to your DDC, then i2S to your DAC. Or even just go Pi4 USB to the DAC - you may be surprised how good it really can sound. And I was a total USB Audio hater not more than a year ago. DF got it right, trust me.

Full disclosure - I do have another, more expensive DAC from a different brand on order. That's not a function of disliking anything about the Venus II. I never sit still with this stuff, it is what it is.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

We will have rolled out an Special Firmware of which enable the USB volume control. 

Please note that the volume control applies only when you use the USB input. With the firmware v3.14, you can use the Windows/ Mac computers volume slider to control the volume.

Reason for the clarification is that some users misunderstood that they will be able to attenuate the master output volume of the DAC for all digital inputs, it's not the case... If you already have a headamp/preamp/integrated amplifier, I would highly recommend using the amplifier for volume attenuation. 

Read more: link here

Loyalty Program

A small gesture initiative to reward our Loyal Customers - Loyalty Program - Join Us Now!

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Powerman said:

So I am streaming DSAD off nvme from a Mercury using Volumio. When I play DSD (64) it does not show as DSD, it shows as PCM 48x4. Volumio is set to DSD direct. Any ideas?

Mercury does not support straight DSD.  You must set for DoP (DSD over PCM)—which is just fine and still true DSD.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
4b933e_d9ee2611b1a3425289ccce558df3a760~mv2.jpg

New Thesycon v5.57.0 Windows OS USB Driver is out:
https://www.vinshineaudio.com/post/thesycon-v5-57-0-usb-driver-windows

Change Log: 
https://www.thesycon.de/usbaudio/TUSBAudio_history.txt

Out of curiosity, are there a lot of Windows users here?

Loyalty Program

• 4 weeks later...

Pontus II FPGA Firmware Update
First thing yesterday morning was (once again) reading through the firmware update procedure. I connected the Pontus DAC and Mac Mini with a regular USB-2 cable. Went through the procedure, which also involves using Apple's deep level app, Terminal.

Everything went according to plan. My Denafrips Pontus DAC has been upgraded (EP4CE22F chip version) with the latest firmware. Plugged everything in as normal and played my usual test songs. Already on the first song I heard the difference from before! Bigger, wider and deeper soundstage. I memorized Vinshine's guarantees for the upgrade:

• Improved Adaptive FIFO Buffer & Reclocking Architecture
• Reduced the effect of Buffer overrun/underrun due to the Source's Clock and the DAC's Clock differences
• Eliminate Phase Difference between L/R Channels
• Optimized DSP to improve the sonic performance

Well, I can't say what each of these points mean in reality, but what I can say is that it has all been worth it! Better bass reproduction meant I had to adjust the subwoofer's crossover point. My previous complaints about the DAC swopping right/left channel, when converting and playing DSD - have been corrected! But the big difference is how the music is presented. Expanded soundstage, more refined center stage, the precision of each individual instrument in smaller ensembles, and of course - the totality of the overall musical experience!

PS! It has been my experience that Denafrip's DACs and DDCs perform better with a really good power cable - and correspondingly good signal cables (I've tested a lot). That led me to get the Denafrips BIC500 - a balanced isolation conditioner.

Tom 😎
Norway

image.thumb.jpeg.fa7c41167ad86db6f5e33fcd75193b70.jpeg

UpTone JS-2 LPS x 2 > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK/JS-2 LPS) > Cisco 2960 > EtherRegen 1 (1.2 LPS) > EtherRegen 2 (1.2 LPS) > OpticalModule (JS-2 LPS) > OpticalRendu (JS-2 LPS) > Denafrips Hermes DDC (i2S) > Denafrips Pontus II R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson Tube Preamp > Denafrips Hyperion Amp > SoundLab Dynastat speakers // CABLES:  Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / Sablon Audio / Tubulus Argentus / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent

I ran the upgrade on my Pontus II on Saturday Process was smooth - just carefully follow the directions. I am using a M2 Mac Mini as my music server and I agree with TwinPeak above - I am very happy with the results. There is a definite bump in detail and imaging and the bass is more articulate. I added the Iris DDC to my setup in December, connecting to the Pontus via I2S. That was a very nice upgrade. It's still early, but I feel the firmware upgrade was an improvement on the same order as adding the Iris. 

I honestly don’t understand why Denafrips doesn’t do true NOS. 

is it a software thing or DSP thing?

that would make it a lot more appealing for people who use HQplayer and other 3rd party filters interpolators and modulators. 

you guys are using a filter that behaves like NOS.   
Its not true NOS

thats a pity 

genuine question btw.   Not trying to be snarky.