IGNORED

Mola Mola Pre/dac review compared to DAVE dac

3 hours ago, rickca said:

OK guys I have created a dedicated thread for Tambaqui listening impressions and design questions.  I encourage everyone to use it going forward.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/55205-mola-mola-tambaqui/?tab=comments#comment-909633

I have asked Chris to delete my thread since people did not want to respect the intended scope.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

9 hours ago, Music Enthusiast said:

No this isn't the case, because after Kii changed distributors in that region, this dealer picked up the line again. When dealers sign contracts with distributors, they are bound to many rules and regulations. Adhering to these regulations are a requirement of running their dealership if they want to represent a wide variety of brands. 

Found the info. Moral of the story is you can't just say anything you want on forums if you want to represent a bunch of brands. It doesn't mean the dealers are dishonest, it just means that they can't share honest opinions if they want to keep their job. 

Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 9.18.05 PM.png

17 hours ago, Music Enthusiast said:

I know of a dealer who was cut off by Kii for publicly saying he preferred the Dutch and Dutch 8C. 

I understood from him that the issue was that he published direct comparisons, side by side (it's also possible I misunderstood). If the same data had not been published together on the same page, he might have been okay.

But since the new distributor came into the picture, he selling both Kii and D&D. Apparently Kii parent company has no issue with him, and it was more the distributor.  He just got a pair of demo KiiBXT.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

10 hours ago, presmara said:

Ricka sorry to hear about this. I have found blogs like your intended purpose have been very useful to me in getting to understand how various components interface with one another.

I own a MakuaRemote/DAC and love it. My dealer has been burning in a Tambaqui and invited me to compare against the Makua and playback designs dream DAC. It is important for all of us to understand how various servers/cables/power amps/speakers etc interface with DACs and understand that a certain DAC may sound best in one system and not necessarily the best in another. 

Looking forward to constructive input as if we are one team all working towards a common goal - live beautiful engaging music in our living rooms. 

Cheers

mark

Mark, thanks for reporting in, I look forward to hearing of your comparisons!  More data points are always welcome as far as I am concerned.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Deleted

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

• 4 months later...
On 12/15/2018 at 12:24 PM, andervt said:

As the Norwegian Mola Mola distributor I do not whish to comment on the Mola Mola sound compared to other brands as a see this as not accountable.

But since I received the first Tambaqui`s ten days ago I have compared it to the Mola Mola Makua with dac option which have been my reference the last year.

I compared the Makua/dac and the Tambaqui both connected directly to the Mola Mola Kaluga amps and a pair of the fantastic Swedish speakers Respons Magna Musicum.

I find the Tambaqui delivering a blacker background, better resolution, more threedimensional soundstage, better low level definition and a mor organic and flowing sound compared to the Makua/dac.  As said the Makua/dac was my reference, and this tells a lot regarding the Tamabaui`s qualities. I am not telling that the differences are enormous, but they are there, and for a "high-ender" they are important.

Up front the Tambaqui I have been using a Paul Pang music server with OCXO clocks on SSD`s and motherboard - Sotm SMS-200 Ultra Neo - Sotm tx-USBultra connected with PPA usb cables and Roon as playback software.

Since Roon have not implemented the Tambaqui in their approved list yet, I have not had the opportunity to compare the Sotm/usb frontend with the Tambaqui ethernet input, but I am looking forward to do this comparison.

Terje

It seems there is some difference on opinion on what sounds better,  the Makua+DAC board vs the Tambaqui.  The dealer I am working with states "Tambaqui direct into the amp would not be nearly as good."  

I am trying to figure out which preamp to get (I have some analog sources that need to be connected).

1) The Makua + DAC board + Luxman m900u amp

2) The Tambaqui + Luxman c900u preamp + Luxman m900u amp

The Makua is expected to get the same streaming capabilities as the Tambaqui, not sure when.

Either choice I make is likely going to be excellent. I hope to read a few more comparisons  between the Makua + Tambaqui to help me along.

@yyz, As you need a preamp, if I were you, I would not hesitate to go with the Makua with the DAC board.  The Mola Mola analog circuitry is about as close to transparent (no "sound" of its own) as one can get.  With your Luxman amp you already have the addition of the "Luxman" sound-but my preference is always for a simpler system when possible, and the Makua with DAC gets you one less box, one less interconnect and one less power cable...

If you are one who prefers more boxes and complexity, then go the separate DAC and preamp route...  

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

8 hours ago, yyz said:

It seems there is some difference on opinion on what sounds better,  the Makua+DAC board vs the Tambaqui.  The dealer I am working with states "Tambaqui direct into the amp would not be nearly as good."  

I am trying to figure out which preamp to get (I have some analog sources that need to be connected).

The Makua is expected to get the same streaming capabilities as the Tambaqui, not sure when.

Either choice I make is likely going to be excellent. I hope to read a few more comparisons  between the Makua + Tambaqui to help me along.

Why do you need a preamp?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I need a preamp because I use an analog tuner(s) and also a Sony SCD-1 SACD player that is modified and can only output analog via XLR (digital output is removed).

I also have used a DAC as volume control, Benchmark DAC3 into AHB2 amp, and I did not like it as much as using a preamp. Low volume listening was not the best. In the past I had a BAT VK-42SE preamp that I found was better than direct to amps. It was not as clear in sound as the DAC3+AHB2 but the low volume was better

It is interesting that the feedback on the Tambaqui as a digital preamp is not unanimous on whether it is better than the Makua. Two dealers are stating the exact opposite view points, one on this thread and the other via my personal correspondence.

9 hours ago, yyz said:

Or maybe you can add an option #3 --- The Tambaqui + Luxman L-509x Integrated ?

I actually went to audition the Luxman 509x (store was using TAD ME1 speakers). I did not want to hear the c900u + m900u combo because of cost. However, I decided to have a quick listen and unfortunately I liked the separates a lot more than the 509x. The 509x does have an analog preamp so it would  be the sort of like the c900u route in terms of sound.

I think I actually preferred the Mark Levinson 585 (with internal DAC), from a prior audition, over the Luxman 509x,  but that was with different speakers so the comparison may not be fair.

3 minutes ago, yyz said:

I liked the separates a lot more than the 509x.

They better be better given the cost of the separates vs. the Integrated.

What worries me for Mola Mola Tambaqui is the resale value if I were to upgrade to something else down the road, given the brand name is not that popular in US

2 hours ago, barrows said:

@yyz, As you need a preamp, if I were you, I would not hesitate to go with the Makua with the DAC board.  The Mola Mola analog circuitry is about as close to transparent (no "sound" of its own) as one can get.  With your Luxman amp you already have the addition of the "Luxman" sound-but my preference is always for a simpler system when possible, and the Makua with DAC gets you one less box, one less interconnect and one less power cable...

If you are one who prefers more boxes and complexity, then go the separate DAC and preamp route...  

Thanks for your feedback. I have looked into at your posts to learn a thing or 2 about audio. I am in the camp of less is more.

3 minutes ago, thyname said:

They better be better given the cost of the separates vs. the Integrated.

What worries me for Mola Mola Tambaqui is the resale value if I were to upgrade to something else down the road, given the brand name is not that popular in US

I found the difference in sound between the Mark Levinson separates vs the ML 585 integrated was less than the same comparison for the Luxman gear. I would have been happy with the 585 over the ML separates. The 585 was not as good as the separates but it was close.

I found the m900u to be my favorite amp out of the dozens of amps I have heard.

1 hour ago, yyz said:

I need a preamp because I use an analog tuner(s) and also a Sony SCD-1 SACD player that is modified and can only output analog via XLR (digital output is removed).

I also have used a DAC as volume control, Benchmark DAC3 into AHB2 amp, and I did not like it as much as using a preamp. Low volume listening was not the best. In the past I had a BAT VK-42SE preamp that I found was better than direct to amps. It was not as clear in sound as the DAC3+AHB2 but the low volume was better

It is interesting that the feedback on the Tambaqui as a digital preamp is not unanimous on whether it is better than the Makua. Two dealers are stating the exact opposite view points, one on this thread and the other via my personal correspondence.

it would be interesting to try the Tambaqui in front of the Benchmark LA-4 which is what I'd want to do.  I can't remember what the measurements are on it though compared to the Tambaqui as it could lower the SINAD.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 9:17 AM, yyz said:

Currently with the Kalugas, and previously with Hyper-based amps, I have found one strength of the brand is low-level listening.  Now, adding the Tambaqui, that quality has been enhanced.  I still like to crank the system (my wife thinks I will damage my hearing), but I listen at a lower level much more frequently than before the Tambaqui.  So much of what I value in music is preserved at low levels.  That is quite to my surprise and it wasn't on my wish list when shopping for a new DAC.  I'm not advocating for getting rid of preamps when they float your boat.  Our hobby is all about personal preferences.  Just mentioning this Tambaqui quality for those looking for low-level listening.  Of course, your speakers have to cooperate too.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2019 at 3:29 PM, yyz said:

I am owner of M900u. while I was auditioning at the seller's place with c900u, the result was not that good compared with boulder 1010 as the preamp.  c900u as the preamp makes the sound too soft and a bit lack of vividness, but boulder 1010 brought back the energy and thus made m900u perform to its maximum.  I'm not sure if Makua a better fit with m900u or not, but it worth a try.  

Makua is going to have Roon Ready feature as the Tambaqui does?  

I own the Makua/DAC and feed it with an Antiopdes DX3 running roon. I had a friend with a Boulder 1010 preamp and we compared with the Makua and he has now sold the Boulder as it was no where as transparent the Makua, which gave a lot more excitement to music. 

7 hours ago, john925 said:

Makua is going to have Roon Ready feature as the Tambaqui does?  

Yes, expected in around the end of 2019.

I was debating whether to take to trouble of getting a demo Makua for my home and compare with the m900u or just get the c900u, your posts pulls me to getting a demo unit.

On a side note, the Mola Mola gear seems a lot cheaper in the Netherlands than here in the USA.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9ff8a-mola-mola-maluga-and-makua-combination-solid-state

That is a fantastic deal!  Someone here should steal those now.

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Someone earlier on this thread mentioned interest in a comparison of the Benchmark LA4 preamp to the Makua. I was thinking about this tonight and came to the conclusion that I will try the 30 home trial of the LA4 before I spend a lot more on the Makua. It should be interesting to see if it has synergy with the Luxman m900u amp I will get. Got nothing to lose and a lot of savings to gain.

I owned the Benchmark AHB2 for a while and I was impressed with the silence of that amp. The LA4 preamp is supposedly even quieter than the AHB2. The design goals of the LA4 and the Makua seem similar, a simple quiet circuit.

The LA4 is currently sold out on Benchmarks online store. So there must be a few folks on here that have bought one. 

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/reviews/la4-review-gary-l-beard-positive-feedback

• 5 months later...

So what is the consensus for a digital system only: Tambaqui directly to a power amp sounds the same, better or worst than Makua+DAC module into the same power amp?

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

24 minutes ago, Matias said:

So what is the consensus for a digital system only: Tambaqui directly to a power amp sounds the same, better or worst than Makua+DAC module into the same power amp?

good question

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)