IGNORED

Mola Mola Pre/dac review compared to DAVE dac

15 minutes ago, yyz said:

I have owned the AHB2 and DAC3 together. It was paired with the KEF LS50 or Audience 1+1 V3 monitor speakers. The sound was very fast and resolving and non-fatiguing. With the Audience 1+1 it sounded like you were inside the recording studio. However, I ended up selling all of the gear except the KEF LS50. The reason for the sale was that I took the Benchmark DAC3 and AHB2 set to demo the Magico A3 speaker at a great dealer room. I was able to compare the DAC3 + AHB2 with various Mark Levinson pre-amp | amp | integrated combinations + Chrod DAVE DAC. The Mark Levinson gear had a much better ability to move the sound away from the speakers and better fill the sound stage. I did not notice this quality so much with the monitor speakers but with the floor stander Magico A3 I did. THe DAC3 + AHB2 was also not great at lower volumes while the ML gear was very good at low volumes.

I have decided to go for an integrated amp to power the Magico A3 or KEF Reference 1 I will get for my home office. I am trying to decide between the Mark Levinson 585 (or newer lower powered ML integrated line) or the Hegel H590. I have heard various Hegel demoed with KEF Blades (except H590) and my suspicion is I will select the Hegel over the Mark Levinson.

DAC I have not yet decided on, but because of the AHB2 their DAC3 is on my list in addition to the Tambaqui from Mola-Mola, the NADAC from Merging, the DirectStream from PS Audio and the Vega G2 from Auralic.

The combo of KEF and Hegel is a no-brainer given they are owned by the same Chinese company GP Acoustics. I do like the Blade Two but I am not really a fan of Hegel. Three weeks ago I heard the 590 with a pair of the new R11. Of course it could well be that the 590 sounds great on your Magico's.

The generic difficulty in combining the various components and one of the reasons why some people told me to look at high-end actives such as Kii Three and D&D 8c ...

Anyway, good to read about the power / headroom of the AHB. With 100 W in 8 Ohm that worried me too when compared to the others on my list who all have 250 to 350 W in 8 Ohm ... That said, the room they have to be in is no more than 23 m2, so the most important is the quality at low listening levels.

Interesting that you were not impressed by the H590. I sent an email to the USA distributor earlier today to locate a west coast USA dealer so I can have a listen.

I am also big on system synergy now after years of using components from various vendors. That is why I am looking at integrated amps and in the past owned the Benchmark DAC3 + AHB2 combo. The Mola-Mola amp + DAC + preamp  would be the way I would go if I went Mola-Mola. However, I have decided to try something other than class D since I already owned a Peachtree Nova 150 integrated  (though not in the same standard  of the Mola-Mola). I will be upgrading that to a Nova 500 in Spring 2019.

I do not need a pre-amp as I am "digital only". Hence I am considering plugging the M-M Tambaqui DAC - which already is or soon will be a Roon endpoint - straight into the Kaluga's.

If you need a pre-amp though and opt for the M-M Makua you can add their DAC board and then do not need the Tambaqui standalone DAC.

At one time, I was of the opinion that I did not need a preamp. I went DAC direct into my amp for several years with my office system. However, after some experimenting I found I preferred a analog preamp stage in my digital systems. That is why I am looking at integrated amps with a built-in DAC.  

Marcel,

The Kalugas replaced a NAD M22.  NAD is very, very good for the cost, but not in the same league as the Kalugas.  Haven't tried the others you mentioned.  I have come to the same conclusion about system matching, therefore I'm very interested in the Tambaqui.  

Personally, I think that the whole systems in a speaker - like the Kii - is the future; however, I have not heard them (no US distributor I believe) or any such system, so it is just theorizing on my part.  The Kii seems to have added a woofer module that the bookshelf speaker sits on, which seems like a very good trend.  Hope your search goes well.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

16 hours ago, PYP said:

Personally, I think that the whole systems in a speaker - like the Kii - is the future; however, I have not heard them (no US distributor I believe) or any such system, so it is just theorizing on my part.  The Kii seems to have added a woofer module that the bookshelf speaker sits on, which seems like a very good trend.  Hope your search goes well.  

Of course there is are US distributors/dealers:

https://kiiaudio.com/dealers.php

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

16 hours ago, PYP said:

Marcel,

The Kalugas replaced a NAD M22.  NAD is very, very good for the cost, but not in the same league as the Kalugas.  Haven't tried the others you mentioned.  I have come to the same conclusion about system matching, therefore I'm very interested in the Tambaqui.  

If you opt for matching M-M then a pair of Kaluga's with the Tambaqui will not disappoint you I think. I've heard the combo three times at different hifi shows, though always with a Vivid Kaya 45. Not sure how it "pairs" with different brand speakers.

As already mentioned by @firedog Kii do have distribution in the US.

I've heard the Kii's also two or three times and was always impressed.

And that is the reason why I am in doubt whether to go for Class D amplification with passive speakers (M-M and Vivid) or in actives (Kii or D&D).

I'm in the lucky circumstance that this Friday I can attend a listening session where a hifi-shop demonstrates the regular Kii and compares it to a set that includes the Bass eXTension (BXT) module.

6 hours ago, Marcel073 said:

I'm in the lucky circumstance that this Friday I can attend a listening session where a hifi-shop demonstrates the regular Kii and compares it to a set that includes the Bass eXTension (BXT) module.

Please let us know how that goes.  I understand your (wonderful) dilemma.  

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

The reason I like an analog preamp is that I found the sound with a dedicated analog preamp better than without. The volume at low levels (which is important since I have a toddler and I work at home late at night) was not as good direct to amp from a DAC vs having  an analog volume control. I also have some analog inputs but even the digital streaming and flac files suffered the volume issue for me. 

Now I am someone who has been doing digital files since about 2004 and I have had many years of systems doing direct to preamp (Benchmark DACs) and also with a decent analog preamp (BAT VK-42SE). The preamp always made it sound fuller and the volume was better across all decibel levels.

When I recently did the head-to-head comparison with direct to amp vs the Mark Levinson stack gear I finally decided to go back to an analog preamp (put my stuff to sell the next day). I am actually going to go to high-end integrated as I believe in 2018 those maybe even better now than the corresponding separates.

Just my preference.

I have had the same experience as yyz with digital volume controls. I had a Weiss DAC202 for a long time and eventually bought a Tortuga preamp to improve the sound quality particularly at low volume, it improved the transparency. When looking to upgrade from the Weiss DAC I found every digital volume control had a negative affect on the SQ even on the DAVE. Eventually I came across the Mola Mola Makua DAC and it blew me away at the level of transparency, PRAT and involvement and was a big step up from the Weiss/Tortuga. It simpflied my system got rid of the separate preamp and one set of interconnects. I am looking forward to hearing the Tambaqui to see if Bruno has done something 'magical' with its digital volume control. 

13 hours ago, Marcel073 said:

With a conversion rate of 1,14 the Tambaqui sets you back around USD 11.390.

USA price of Tambaqui is $13,400.  That's the price I got from GTT Audio.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On 12/2/2018 at 8:41 AM, Marcel073 said:

The Tambaqui is being sold, at least in the Netherlands.

We're receiving the Tambaqui this week here in Stockholm/Sweden. The Roon certification is still ongoing though.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | [email protected] | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

1 hour ago, jtwrace said:

It's an amazing piece.  

Ok, that is a good start, lucky dog.  Hope you are having fun.  

Is this a demo with some hours on it or are you listening to a new one?  When you have a chance, please let us know how it compares to the PS DS (presumably with snowmass OS).  Are you using the ethernet input?  

Thanks for the pics and info.  Looking forward to reading more about your impressions.  Bruno's amps redefined what I thought was possible and seems like the Tambaqui will do the same.  

Was hoping there was a remote too, since my wife prefers that kind of control.  Not a deal breaker.  

1 hour ago, PYP said:

Thanks for the pics and info.  Looking forward to reading more about your impressions.  Bruno's amps redefined what I thought was possible and seems like the Tambaqui will do the same.  

Was hoping there was a remote too, since my wife prefers that kind of control.  Not a deal breaker.  

There's an Apple remote if that helps.  The iOS app has full remote capability too.  Last, they do give the codes for it in the manual if you wanted to use something else.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos