IGNORED

Mola Mola Pre/dac review compared to DAVE dac

Just now, Perfect sense said:

I wish I had more time comparing DACs during the holidays. Unfortunately I don't :).

All I can say at this point is that it holds it's ground against anything that I've had here up towards the €20.000 / $22.000 mark at least. In general terms that is. There's no "best" of anything. This is not a DAC that should be considered expensive in relation to offerings within the €5-10.000 price range. It's rather a DAC (etc.) that should be compared to more costly options.

Please allow me to come back with some further experiences along the way.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Do you sell any DAC's above the €20.000 mark?

1 minute ago, Perfect sense said:

Yes - APL DSD-MR, CH Precision C1, Playback Design Dream series and MSB Premiere DAC.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

So if you were to publicly announce that this 10K DAC beats all of those 20K+ DAC's that you also sell, would that be good for sales of all of the other DAC's?

Considering you make a profit based on % of the sale cost, it wouldn't be in your best interest. And I can imagine that APL, CH Precision, Playback designs, and MSB would frown upon it as well.  

5 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

Considering you make a profit based on % of the sale cost, it wouldn't be in your best interest. And I can imagine that APL, CH Precision, Playback designs, and MSB would frown upon it as well.  

This makes perfect sense but is similar to professional reviews.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

OK guys I have created a dedicated thread for Tambaqui listening impressions and design questions.  I encourage everyone to use it going forward.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/55205-mola-mola-tambaqui/?tab=comments#comment-909633

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

15 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

So if you were to publicly announce that this 10K DAC beats all of those 20K+ DAC's that you also sell, would that be good for sales of all of the other DAC's?

Well, if you're not interested in my opinion just scroll past my posts :).

On the one hand, I do offer them all which makes me somehow biased. On the other, I do have access to them actually being able to compare. People who know me knows that I'm always doing my best to give an honest opinion. 

Again, there's no "best" DAC out there. There are different options though for different budgets, systems, ears and preferences.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | [email protected] | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

1 minute ago, Music Enthusiast said:

This is why a dealer's impressions must be taken with a grain of salt. They will always say it's the best DAC up to the price point of their next more expensive DAC. If they don't it's a conflict of interest and they may get an angry phone call from their distributor. 

As I said it is the same with Stereophile and TAS etc.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Just now, Perfect sense said:

Well, if you're not interested in my opinion just scroll past my posts :).

On one hand, I do offer them all which makes me somehow biased. On the other, I do have access to them actually being able to compare. People who know me knows that I'm always doing my best to give an honest opinion. 

Again, there's no "best" DAC out there. There are different options though for different budgets, systems, ears and preferences.

This is the answer I was expecting. Because as a representative of several brands, you don't have the option to give an honest public opinion if you did feel one of your cheaper DAC's slaughtered a more expensive one. 

1 minute ago, Music Enthusiast said:

This is why a dealer's impressions must be taken with a grain of salt. They will always say it's the best DAC up to the price point of their next more expensive DAC. If they don't it's a conflict of interest and they may get an angry phone call from their distributor. 

Well, that's never happened during my years in the business, and I'm rather open with my believes :). We're also the distributor/importer for some of the brands mentioned btw.

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | [email protected] | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

OK everyone needs to do due diligence and make their own decisions.  I for one trust the integrity of some dealers and appreciate their consulting time.

If you want to continue this message that dealers/distributors are all biased, please don't muck up my new thread.  

I am just an audio enthusiast and have no connections to anyone in the business.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

4 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

This is the answer I was expecting. Because as a representative of several brands, you don't have the option to give an honest public opinion if you did feel one of your cheaper DAC's slaughtered a more expensive one. 

Nothing will ever get slaughtered on this level of engineering. 

As a consumer, you should weight the opinions of distributors, dealers, reviewers and fellow enthusiasts at an early stage in your search. The next step is to audition the products that speaks to you, trying to ignore what other people might think completely (including me).

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se

2 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

Yes useless information unless it comes from someone who has absolutely nothing to lose by offering a completely honest, unbiased opinion. 

...and who could that be? No one is the answer.

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se

Just now, rickca said:

OK everyone needs to do due diligence and make their own decisions.  I for one trust the integrity of some dealers and appreciate their consulting time.

It's nothing to do with the dealers integrity. It has everything to do with their desire to continue to be allowed to sell a wide variety of brands. A distributor would cut them off in a heartbeat if they read that they publicly said that a DAC costing half the price sourced from another distributor was superior. 

23 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

I know of a dealer who was cut off by Kii for publicly saying he preferred the Dutch and Dutch 8C. 

It wouldn't surprise me if that dealer had already made a decision to pick up D&D and drop Kii.

Just now, rickca said:

It wouldn't surprise me if that dealer had already made a decision to pick up D&D and drop Kii.

No this isn't the case, because after Kii changed distributors in that region, this dealer picked up the line again. When dealers sign contracts with distributors, they are bound to many rules and regulations. Adhering to these regulations are a requirement of running their dealership if they want to represent a wide variety of brands. 

2 hours ago, Music Enthusiast said:

All that line stage will achieve is add extra circuitry into the path. It will just degrade the sound quality. So better sound for less money is a winner for me. 

are you talking about a remote?  that was the post yo quoted - but modern designs usually use relays, so control functions do not add extra circuitry into the path...

2 hours ago, Music Enthusiast said:

Yes useless information unless it comes from someone who has absolutely nothing to lose by offering a completely honest, unbiased opinion. 

Less "useless" than anything you have on offer though...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio