IGNORED

Mola Mola Pre/dac review compared to DAVE dac

On 12/10/2018 at 2:25 PM, Perfect sense said:
2 hours ago, ThenewGearPPK said:

I got to question, just like the Dave, what's inside to be worth $13,000+ for such a small box.

Clearly they aren't using large high quality transformers, which is always one of the biggest & legitimate cost factors in any high end hifi equipment.

I agree that the price is disappointing, especially seeing that the same DAC with world class analog linestage is only appx. $5000 more...plus it doesn't even include a remote.  I was originally hoping for something that would hit around the $7500 mark, then heard $10K and now we've surpassed that.  No doubt all these products do have real cost in parts/R&D etc, but at some point I believe they are merely priced with a pen in order to appear legitimate in the marketplace.

8 hours ago, barrows said:

What you are paying for with the Tambaqui is a uniquely engineered product which does not use "normal" solutions for anything in comparisons with other DACs, as well as a quite beautifully produced chassis.

The development cost of using unique solutions is quite for products like this which are produced and sold in relatively small quantities.

I would love to hear some folks listening impressions, of course I understand if you are enjoying the Tambaqui so much that posting on forums is a waste of time compared to listening to music.

Would you mind loaning one and posting a review?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

9 hours ago, barrows said:

What you are paying for with the Tambaqui is a uniquely engineered product which does not use "normal" solutions for anything in comparisons with other DACs, as well as a quite beautifully produced chassis.

The development cost of using unique solutions is quite for products like this which are produced and sold in relatively small quantities.

I would love to hear some folks listening impressions, of course I understand if you are enjoying the Tambaqui so much that posting on forums is a waste of time compared to listening to music.

It's an amazing piece!  It's so good it's actually hard to put into words.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

4 hours ago, matthias said:

Would you mind loaning one and posting a review?

Matt

What?  How would I do that?  Loaning one from where?  There are posters on this thread who have Tambaqui DACs in their possession, but I am not one.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I'm also very much interested in Tambaqui DAC as it sounds very promising.
However, I do think at this price point it's more than reasonable to expect remote and decent volume controls. Without neither we are forced to have a preamp.
I have been avoiding a preamp in my system as I always prefer going direct from DAC to my active system, the direct route always gives me better SQ.
Tambaqui's digitial volume control might be good enough but no remote is just not acceptable to me.

Still, looking forward to reading owner impressions and comments. :)

Best.
Mev

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

51 minutes ago, mevdinc said:

no remote is just not acceptable to me

Where did you get this information?  I asked the USA distributor Bill Parish about your comment.  His response:

Oh, my that is hilarious.  So much misinformation running around.  Every day I hear a new one.   

It for sure has a volume control that can be controlled via the app or the included remote.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

5 hours ago, matthias said:

Yes, @Hyperion promised to compare Tambaqui to his other top DACs

Are @Hyperion and @Perfect sense different users who just have the same icon?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

12 minutes ago, Hyperion said:

Same same :)

Let's hope your two personalities don't have a difference of opinion.

11 minutes ago, Perfect sense said:

Well, we've got an old (Hyperion) as well as a new (Perfect sense) account unfortunately. I will try and use the new one from now on to avoid confusion :)

Thank you, good decision:-)

Maybe  Chris can merge both into one.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

11 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

Are you going to buy one if Perfect sense says it's the best ever?

I need my expectation bias set appropriately before my demo machine shows up. ?

12 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

Someone should start a thread on the Tambaqui, rather than turn this into a Tambaqui thread.

I thought about doing just that but it's likely going to mean that people have to monitor two different threads for Tambaqui listening impressions.  

If the recent posters to this thread all agree to switch over to a dedicated Tambaqui thread, I'd be happy to create one.

1 hour ago, rickca said:

Where did you get this information?  I asked the USA distributor Bill Parish about your comment.  His response:

Oh, my that is hilarious.  So much misinformation running around.  Every day I hear a new one.   

It for sure has a volume control that can be controlled via the app or the included remote.

"...I agree that the price is disappointing, especially seeing that the same DAC with world class analog linestage is only appx. $5000 more...plus it doesn't even include a remote."

I based my info from the above comment, I should have double checked.
But, I'm more than happy to be wrong and corrected about this. :)

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

3 minutes ago, rickca said:

I thought about doing just that but it's likely going to mean that people have to monitor two different threads for Tambaqui listening impressions.  

If the recent posters to this thread all agree to switch over to a dedicated Tambaqui thread, I'd be happy to create one.

If the new thread is started then everyone should just post there because this isn't the Tambaqui thread. 

1 minute ago, mevdinc said:

"...I agree that the price is disappointing, especially seeing that the same DAC with world class analog linestage is only appx. $5000 more...plus it doesn't even include a remote."

I based my info from the above comment, I should have double checked.
But, I'm more than happy to be wrong and corrected about this. :)

All that line stage will achieve is add extra circuitry into the path. It will just degrade the sound quality. So better sound for less money is a winner for me. 

I wish I had more time comparing DACs during the holidays. Unfortunately I don't :).

All I can say at this point is that it holds it's ground against anything that I've had here up towards the €20.000 / $22.000 mark at least. In general terms that is. There's no "best" of anything. This is not a DAC that should be considered expensive in relation to offerings within the €5-10.000 price range. It's rather a DAC (etc.) that should be compared to more costly options.

Please allow me to come back with some further experiences along the way.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | [email protected] | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook