IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

6 hours ago, Blade1001 said:

Finally managed to sort it. SOtM finally put a new version of 4.22 up on the download page, and this wrote to the SD card without an issue. I kind of suspected it would work as this time it was 7.8GB in size, whereas the previous 3-4 times I'd downloaded it, it was 3.9GB which didn't seem large enough.

Nice to hear that you sorted it out. This is the first time I have had any problem with my SOtM gear. 

I stayed at 4.19 and will keep it that way for now.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 6:37 PM, tedwoods said:

Well, I have good news and bad news...?

The bad news is that my dealer has kindly asked me not to disclose any pics or specific values, etc... and I have to respect that.

The good news is that the mod is pretty easy to do.

Two solder joints and you're good to go.

The differences between the two models are pretty subtle: the bass has more oomph but its always tactile, never overpowering and the treble seems a bit more intergrated in the mix.

In the old sMS, hi-hats and cymbals in particular could in some recordings sound a bit detached, which could be mistaken for added treble dynamism.

In the "Neo" the cymbals are positioned better in the mix and closer to the drum kit, as they should be.

I also want to be emphatic on this one: There is no detail loss!

All the familiar fine detail and subtle nuance the SOtM gear is renowned for is there in spades!

The mids in voices and guitars also sound a bit more fleshed out.

In layman's terms, the "Neo" could be described as sounding a tad sweeter...

The old sMS seems like proper English with a few colloqualisms thrown in, while the "Neo" is "Queen's English" all the way..?

Given the simplicity of the mod and its low cost, I'd say go for it!

I'm listening to the "Land of Grey and Pink" right now and it's absolutely gorgeous sounding! 

I actually went back to re-read this post, because with the original sMS -200Ultra I have noticed something remarkably similar to your comment regarding cymbals and similar sounding a "bit detached in the mix".  My sMS-200Ultra has been back to Korea for the Neo upgrade, as well as having shorter internal clock cables fitted, apparently the work is complete and I have just received the tracking number for it's journey back to the UK.  The point is that for the last three weeks while the sMS-200Ultra has been away I have been back using my old microRendu and I have noticed something very similar to what you describe with the Neo, that with the mR the everything sounds far more coherent, or integrated in the mix.  The mR definitely sounds more tonally balanced to me.

With the mR there is a definite loss of both detail and dynamics, so I am not saying it is the superior device, but in many ways I do prefer what it delivers, in many respects, the mR is the one I would rather listen to.  

So my hope is that somehow the Neo will capture the positives of the mR whilst retaining the strengths of the sMS-200Utra.  Optimistic perhaps, but time will tell.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Another thought I have had, so far tedwoods appears to be the only one to report regarding the "traditional" versus Neo sMS-200.  Is anyone else getting the Neo update currently?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

6 minutes ago, Confused said:

Another thought I have had, so far tedwoods appears to be the only one to report regarding the "traditional" versus Neo sMS-200.  Is anyone else getting the Neo update currently?

Next week I will order the capacitor from the agent in Sweden and do the mod my self.

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system

I've had the Neo for a few weeks now, made in order to keep it to spec. Unfortunately it's been too long since I've heard the original sMS200 and in its original configuration that it's not possible to make a comment on the sound change now. Too many changes in my system recently. I offered to comment earlier but am unable to do so with any certainty. Sorry!

14 minutes ago, flkin said:

I've had the Neo for a few weeks now, made in order to keep it to spec. Unfortunately it's been too long since I've heard the original sMS200 and in its original configuration that it's not possible to make a comment on the sound change now. Too many changes in my system recently. I offered to comment earlier but am unable to do so with any certainty. Sorry!

This is understandable.  I think when you are talking fine margins of change you really need to do a direct back to back test, and if you have made other changes in your system then it is impossible to be sure what might be influencing what.

That said, have you noticed anything?  For example, details, dynamics etc., do they all seem to be present and correct as you recall?  If there had been a profound change somewhere you might be noticing something.  Or to put this another way, some have been a little worried that the Neo might be a step backward in some regard, so you have not really noticed anything overall (even with a degree of uncertainty), that might actually be a positive.

If I had to guess at the Neo change, I think it's a touch warmer. It's part of the Trifecta set I had it in with an IsoRegen too. I didn't reconstruct this exact system but had it in a basic Trifecta again with source my new Pink Faun streamer rather than the original Macbook Pro - now decommissioned as a Roon player.

Here I found the sound very neutral now, very slightly warmer than I recall from before. The IsoRegen usually adds body to the sound and without it it still sounded ok thickness wise so perhaps this is another result of the Neo. Or it could be the change in source as the Pink Faun has a lot more presence than the Macbook.

A lot of variables there, take your pick! ?

13 hours ago, Confused said:

I actually went back to re-read this post, because with the original sMS -200Ultra I have noticed something remarkably similar to your comment regarding cymbals and similar sounding a "bit detached in the mix".  My sMS-200Ultra has been back to Korea for the Neo upgrade, as well as having shorter internal clock cables fitted, apparently the work is complete and I have just received the tracking number for it's journey back to the UK.  The point is that for the last three weeks while the sMS-200Ultra has been away I have been back using my old microRendu and I have noticed something very similar to what you describe with the Neo, that with the mR the everything sounds far more coherent, or integrated in the mix.  The mR definitely sounds more tonally balanced to me.

With the mR there is a definite loss of both detail and dynamics, so I am not saying it is the superior device, but in many ways I do prefer what it delivers, in many respects, the mR is the one I would rather listen to.  

So my hope is that somehow the Neo will capture the positives of the mR whilst retaining the strengths of the sMS-200Utra.  Optimistic perhaps, but time will tell.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with the mR.

The difference between the "Neo" and the old sMS is subtle but noticeable.

I especially like the fact that its most favourable trait -the way it depicts detail- has not suffered one iota.

Its dynamic behaviour (or what I like to cal the "uncompression" effect) also seems undiminished.

As @flkin has mentioned, if SOtM didn't somehow feel the product would become "better" they wouldn't have standardised the offering.

However, given the subtle effect of the mod, it'd be best if it was to be performed locally, rather than having to ship one's unit overseas.

4 hours ago, acaro said:

Do you have any details on this part and where it can be oredered from?  Thanks

No I dont have any details on it and as I wrote I will order it from the agent. www.studiosound.dk

Main system

Second system
56 minutes ago, mfin said:

I think I'm going to sell my sMS200-ultra, but am wondering if I'm going to kick myself if I do!

For what reason?  Just curious!

1 hour ago, Confused said:

For what reason?  Just curious!

It is really good, there's no question about that, I'm simply thinking of exploring other directions instead. I'm thinking about switching about my whole system in time, so I think I'll start with selling the SOtM gear.

Good day to all,

i’ve Just subscribed to this forum, but I’ve been reading your posts with great interest. 

I took the plunge and just bought myself a tx-usb ultra (9v) with the SOtM power supply and a silver Y cable. My question is simple. 

Do i need a sms-200 ultra or is the regular sms-200 “enough” because it will be connected to the usb ultra?

please feel free to ignore my question if it’s redundant in this forum. I know this can be annoying. 

Thanks 

Hallo, you’ve made a great step in ultimate performance. The question is hard to answer. Ive tried them both and i endend up with a sms 200 ultra. Thats also a fine match to look at. Its also somewhat better than the sms 200. But the sms 200 is great value for the money. And it,s sure coming close...

Thanks 

just to clarify : I initially was looking at the sms-200 ultra Because I wanted a “portable” streamer with ssd attached (that could be also a in house solution) because I spend a lot of time in rental apartments and houses. After understanding that it would have been a lot of gear to carry around with the power supply etc, I’ve looked at my setup and since my DAC-amp has a Ethernet bridge that does a lot of cleaning and that my computer is a sonic transporter i7 with all ssd, it would be better to get the tx-usb ultra for when streaming to a usb DAC (Hugo 2) and Ethernet directly from the SonicTransporter to the bridge of my home system. 

Understanding that would “force” me to use the usb out of the SonicTransporter to the tx-usb ultra, I thought this morning that if I got a regular sms-200, that could give me the option steam via Ethernet & I could take the sms-200 on the road without the external power supply. 

Understandind that hat the SQ would be less while on the road, I could benefit from the clock of the tax-usb ultra while at home. 

The advantage of the regular sms-200 (to me) is that it’s smaller and also about 1/3 the price of the ultra. 

Downside, if I understand correctly, is that it doesn’t have the clock of the tax-usb ultra when used separately. 

I understand there might be a lower SQ improvement  using the sms-200 with tx-usb ultra as opposed to using two ultra devices, but will it at least be better that using the sms-200 ultra alone ? (With PS)

Hallo, thanks for sharing your motiv,s. I understand it compleetly. Yes be aware that de SQ of a SMS200 combined with the TX-usb ultra is already a great upgrade.

In my comparason i started with the Tx-usb and a Sms200 witch was recommended by a friend with the same combination. It sounded awsome.

After that my dealer advised me to go for the SMS200 ultra only with a SPS500 powersupply.. That wasn,t as musically as the Sms200/TX-USB combination in my opinion (after ive already ordered it at gave it time to burn in for more than 200-300 hours)..

At the moment i,m playing again with the extra Tx-usb in the system and my feeling says its slightly better than the first opion. I,m really happy now.

Conclusion in your case i think The SOtM 200 is the best opion expeccially combined with the great powersupply.

PS Don,t let youre self fooled bij the 12v option. It,s possible but the 9v is recommended by SOtM itself and they a playing in the 9v mode on summits for the right reason. Goodluck with your decision.

1 hour ago, Jmzeitouni said:

I understand there might be a lower SQ improvement  using the sms-200 with tx-usb ultra as opposed to using two ultra devices, but will it at least be better that using the sms-200 ultra alone ? (With PS) 

@austinpop and @limniscate could not hear a difference between the modded sMS-200 and sMS-200ultra when re-clocked by the tX-USB.

1 minute ago, auricgoldfinger said:

@austinpop and @limniscate could not hear a difference between the modded sMS-200 and sMS-200ultra when re-clocked by the tX-USB.

does that mean that, if i buy the a regular sms-200, i need to pick the version with a externat clock connector ?

what else would i need (a clock cable ?) 

the TX-usb ultra i've bought, does have the external clock connector (it was the only one in stock). 

will there be some jumper adjustments to do etc ?

Thanks all you guys for being patient with a rookie !

You should contact SOtM or your local dealer for the exact details, but you will need to have the sMS-200 modified by SOtM before it can be re-clocked by the tX-USBultra.  You may also need to send your tX-USBultra so SOtM can test the devices together before returning them to you.  I believe they provide an SMB cable.

From the SOtM U.S. dealer:

The tX-USBultra can be modified for the sMS-200. The tX-USBultra uses one point output of the sCLK-EX (clock). Three point outputs of the sCLK-EX can be used for other digital devices, meaning that two are used to connect to the sMS-200. The connection is with SMB connectors.

Upgrade your existing sMS-200 – send us your sMS-200 and we will modify the unit by using the available points of the sCLK-EX in the tX-USBultra. Please contact us if you would like this option. 

2 minutes ago, Jmzeitouni said:

does that mean that, if i buy the a regular sms-200, i need to pick the version with a externat clock connector ?

what else would i need (a clock cable ?) 

the TX-usb ultra i've bought, does have the external clock connector (it was the only one in stock). 

will there be some jumper adjustments to do etc ?

Thanks all you guys for being patient with a rookie !

No worries - we're happy to help a newbie!

All of this is a long time ago for me, and I am racking my brains! You might start by looking at this post of mine: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=659870

Also, go to the first post in that thread, and scroll down to the index, and read some of the posts in the section: Clock Mods, reclocker chains, and sCLK-EX

But to your question - I actually don't believe I ever compared these 2 configs:

1. sMS-200 (regular) > tX-USBultra, to
  2. sMS-200 (sCLK-EX mod) > tX-USBultra (this is the config I had), and 
  3. sMS-200ultra > tX-USBultra (this is the config @limniscate had)

We compared 2 and 3. But we never compared 1 and 3, or 1 and 2. It's an interesting question. My guess is it makes a difference, but not as much. But make sure you use a good power supply. The Uptone LPS-1.2 or Paul Hynes SR-4 are my 2 recommendations. Since you value portability and size, the LPS-1.2 gets my nod.

Based on what I'm reading, you might want to consider the Neo version of the sMS.