IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

2 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I'm seeing two groups of audiophiles with different approaches to the hobby arguing with one another.

I'm not seeing a lot of folks coming to this site to attack the hobby itself.

You beat me to it ;) 

As @wgscott alludes, certain other sites have much less tolerance of anything other than the party line.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

13 minutes ago, Daudio said:

I miss Barry, he was deeply experienced and knowledgeable, happy to share, a true audiophile, and a true gentleman. He graciously helped me get started with DIY vibration isolation, and always a pleasure to talk with.

Entirely agree!

15 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

To the point of your post: in many ways, - you (not you but people) don't see "audiophiles" making a concerted point to attack those who don't believe there are varying levels of performance in audio playback gear. 

I wasn't thinking of a specific subgroup of audiophiles. Don't all audiophiles think there are differences in at least some playback gear? -- could you clarify?

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

I know that Demian Martin, designer of some Spectral and Constellation equipment, did write about concerns regarding vibration when he used to hang out here, and he was never one for fantasies.

On the other hand, @mansr could well be right. :)

You could just build a bottlehead crack and then give it a smack while your headphones in :) that would be empirical evidence that vibes affect tubes :) 

13 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

The tendency of some audiophiles to invent "new science" to explain what they are hearing goes a long way to answering Jud's question. 

I wouldn't even call this "new science" rather effects, behaviors for which there is no known physical mechanism, nor has one been provided. That's very different than a loose screw or a loose tube for which audible effects are known and do, in fact, follow from known physical principles.

A problem I see is when people might assert that because loosening screws might actually effect say a tube amp (to continue this example) that the same sonic effect would occur when loosening screws on ones NAS -- in many cases individual sonic experiences are individual to ones own system -- it takes a great deal of work to create a generalizable theory i.e. "New science"

1 hour ago, Daudio said:

The wonder of it was that as time passed, I could see different studies of the same/similar thing with differing results, none definitive, but together they painted a picture of the evolving nature of scientific thought, based on multiple views of all kinds of evidence,

Throwing away any evidence, 'subjective' or not, is foolish and clearly unscientific !

Kuhn is apropos -- most scientists ignore the little bits of data that don't follow the standard model of the day. A scientist comes along and uses these discrepancies (ignored evidence) to create a groundbreaking new theory.

I've seen scientists whom I greatly admire do this.

That said -- need to focus on important stuff -- Id love to see more folks build stuff eg build an "Amp Camp Amp" before getting too caught up in linear vs SMPS or various cables etc. That's just what I think -- at end of day people should do what makes them happy.

3 minutes ago, Wavelength said:

a) Data integrity, impedance correctness, eye pattern, low capacitence etc. Basically how well does the data get there.

b) VBUS/Ground how well does VBUS and ground get to the downstream device without effecting (a) above.

c) Computer noise, all cables can transmit noise, some cables will throw that noise back into the computer some will throw it at the device, which of course is really bad.

Thanks Gordon, b) and c) yeah very understandable. With a) assuming a short cable and reasonably good SI, the USB bits are crossing a clock domain at the receiver so assume FIFO with dual port and I assume the USB bits make it into the FIFO and out as I2S ... is the USB SI affecting the I2S jitter? 

3 hours ago, mansr said:

What makes you think they do? Sure, ground loops and such can be audible, but no cable can fix those, only an isolation device will.

I am keeping an open mind. There are many reported electrical differences between cables. There are also many people who report sonic differences, so it is sensible to try to correlate. But certainly, an isolation device is most logically what's needed.

3 hours ago, firedog said:

That's what I asked Gordon to weigh in on, as he listed a series of ways that a USB device could could conduct/reduce "noise"  to a DAC The question in the end is not whether a USB device reduces "noise", but whether this reduction is actually relevant to the analog sound produced.

I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to speak for Gordon but we could discuss which measurements would be appropriate -- another topic -- but there really aren't any that are published by the manufacturers of the cables -- he said he didn't think they have the equipment

I have suggested that one measure would be the analogue output line width of a pure digital tone fed into the DAC.

46 minutes ago, esldude said:

Well there are no standard parameters for that test.  What would you suggest?

If I were ever in the business of selling USB cables I would provide measurements that supported the product I were selling. If pure USB conformance then impedance etc -- If I were claiming improvement in phase noise then phase error measurement and DAC output would be another. 

Theres actually a lot more hats been written about this over the last few decades (how to measure that is) more than a wide spectrum FFT

3 hours ago, esldude said:

Now with pedestrian devices that number is already about 1 hz wide. And Full Width at 1/1000th voltage is about 1.5 hz wide. 

So in terms of spectral width what parameters would you think more telling?  And why do you think this is an audibly significant measure?

I don't know the limits of audibility--

Typically we use dB in audio so these units more familiar to discuss than voltage ratios. Close in phase error is highest so best to look at. Suppose a so-called femtosecond clock  is using a 1khz offset down -150 dB -- do you think that would likely be audible? Not many volts there ;) Would -70 dB be more likely audible? That's going to be very close in.

I'm  just pointing out what the electrical correlates are at the DAC output, i.e. If there is a claim that a "bad cable" that worsens "jitter" then this test will demonstrate that.  What is actually audible would need to be tested.

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

And the pitchforks really come out for the entire class of USB products (of which my firm is now but one of many with) which improve signal integrity and clocking.  There is tremendous denialism with regards to many aspects of the digital audio chain, from the music server end, through to power supplies, data transmission, clocking, isolation, and signal integrity, and internal techniques in DACs.

Going back to how this started, with the discussion of differences in USB cables etc  that result in poor USB SI at the DAC, it does seem entirely reasonable that improving SI help -- I don't hear much argument about that (some but that's ok)

Again, an eye pattern is fine to demonstrate & Ethernet cable manf like Belden provide.

I haven't seen a good explanation of why cables ought matter when using a Regen etc. That's where I would personally delve into more detailed measurements at the DAC but I think you are right that such measurements wouldn't drive sales.

(That's why I don't directly  do sales to consumer market -- and when I'm buying I don't just look at measurements)

On the other hand discussion of SI etc naturally brings up the measurement issues.

42 minutes ago, esldude said:

So I was interested in why you think it important

After educating myself, and speaking with people who I respect and then doing even more reading, I've come to this hypothesis-- that close-in phase error is an important but overlooked factor in digital audio circuits-- ymmv