IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

8 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Surely it would be ridiculous to widen the screen so much that an entire paragraph can be seen on a single line. Yes that's all the way on the continuum from wide to skinny. Also ridiculous is a thin design that is so thin as to have one word per line. 

We must find a happy medium. Can you find a site that works perfectly for you and post a link?

Chris: I think the best you can do is to end up with text covering half the screen width on larger monitors (which then covers the full screen width on phones/iPads)  I'm attaching a page from my own site. The only real difference is that the text covers the exact same width as does the actual header/footer. I then widened the header/footer and header image so that it covers the full screen width on all devices.  In your case, the edges of the black header/footer extend about 1/2 inch further on both sides than does the text below them (suggesting you could get in another inch of text width but not much more).  I also found the off-white a lot easier to read.

58d01f05095cd_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.05cae7de5a64dc0e8d787c3fc7dfb469.png 

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

28 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Ha!

I just enabled this. You may need to refresh your browser to take advantage of the size.

Notice the reflow issue.

Whatever you did is perfect; i.e., I don't consciously see the reflow "issue" and the display now fills my screen!

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Chris, here's another question - may be an issue if it's not user error.So when a topic is all caught up, there is no button to go to the first unread article. So, for example here, the * is grey. not green:

Capture.thumb.PNG.981977da04470aae4d1f7a328d4a715f.PNG

In the previous site, just clicking on the topic used to take you to the first unread. In the new site, there is this option when you create an activity stream:

Capture.PNG.d07647ae5bcbbf678aa3fcc4b7dc0744.PNG

But what is needed is an option (should really be a site-wide default, IMO) that when clicking on a topic, it takes you to the last post, not the first. Oh - and also - this is necessary for mobile and tablet, since they don't seem to see the unread button/star, if I remember correctly.

Your thoughts?

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm still receiving notification emails from my old subscriptions. Is this still broken for you?

Chris, thank you whatever you have done. It is working now and I also managed to find all my old subscriptions. Just if anybody else is looking for them:

manage followed content

Forums // topics 

or

Forums //  forums

I think all the new stuff is just looking more complicate as it is. In general I recognize a lot of helpfull possibilities. Great job Chris. Let us all do the best making it a success ;)

Take care

Thomas

DIY coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer /// 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery & caps/filter /// Active crossover @ Acourate Convolver & room correction@MC30 /// General 2 PC setup: floating PSU picoless battery & caps/filter powered Bicker DC160W: PC1(Player) - individual stripped MS RamOS with JPlay /// PC2: Server 2016 RamOS - AO 2.0b5 - Acourate Convolver - online convolving & crossover /// Chain: PC1 - USB - F-1 - SPdif coax - Mutec MC3.1+ USB - SPdif coax - FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery & caps/filter - USB - PC2 - FireFace UCX - Adat LWL - Mutec MC-4 - 3 x SPdif coax - D802 Low/ D802 Middle / D802 High - 2 Stereo Lab KWH250 with BMS 4590 plus 2 modified corner subwoofer Abacus ABS210

4 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Chris, here's another question - may be an issue if it's not user error.So when a topic is all caught up, there is no button to go to the first unread article. So, for example here, the * is grey. not green:

Capture.thumb.PNG.981977da04470aae4d1f7a328d4a715f.PNG

In the previous site, just clicking on the topic used to take you to the first unread. In the new site, there is this option when you create an activity stream:

Capture.PNG.d07647ae5bcbbf678aa3fcc4b7dc0744.PNG

But what is needed is an option (should really be a site-wide default, IMO) that when clicking on a topic, it takes you to the last post, not the first. Oh - and also - this is necessary for mobile and tablet, since they don't seem to see the unread button/star, if I remember correctly.

Your thoughts?

Try the new test activity stream. Does this work how you want?

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/discover/59/

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

No. The failing case, is a thread - sorry, topic - on which I'm all caught up. In that case, there's nothing unread, so there is no icon or setting to say "take me to the last post". In your test stream, I filtered further to content I follow, and clicked on the title of a topic that had no unread content. It took me to the first post, not the last.

Just now, austinpop said:

No. The failing case, is a thread - sorry, topic - on which I'm all caught up. In that case, there's nothing unread, so there is no icon or setting to say "take me to the last post". In your test stream, I filtered further to content I follow, and clicked on the title of a topic that had no unread content. It took me to the first post, not the last.

Click on the time such as "2 minutes ago" and it should take you there. Correct?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, Nikhil said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but the user profile data hasn't transferred over in the "About Me" section of the member profiles,  For example in my profile's "About Me" just shows "iPad and Blackberry" which I think were the last fields in the previous forum.  

Agreed on the About Me section,  just the last line on my profile as well. By looks of it,  at least the structure is now up to the user to create their own,  rather than tick the boxes, which was restricted somewhat. 

The editor looks much the same as for posting allowing external links...my short term memory may let me down here.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

35 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hey Chris: 

I was briefly able to try your "Test" stream (stumbled upon it) a few minutes ago before you deleted it.

How did you make it?!  That "Test" stream was almost exactly what I have been begging for: A list of Followed Topics with Unread posts (as opposed to a list of unread posts in Topics that I follow).

Please bring this back--or give/tell us the parameters--and allow us to further customize that!  THANKS.

--Alex C.

P.S. I know that this belongs in the thread (uh sorry, Topic) on Activity Streams.  But you did the Test stream for someone here and seem to be right in the thick of it here.

2 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hey Chris: 

I was briefly able to try your "Test" stream (stumbled upon it) a few minutes ago before you deleted it.

How did you make it?!  That "Test" stream was almost exactly what I have been begging for: A list of Followed Topics with Unread posts (as opposed to a list of unread posts in Topics that I follow).

Please bring this back--or give/tell us the parameters--and allow us to further customize that!  THANKS.

--Alex C.

P.S. I know that this belongs in the thread (uh sorry, Topic) on Activity Streams.  But you did the Test stream for someone here and seem to be right in the thick of it here.

Try this: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/discover/6/

Well, it all looks much better now than it did 2 days ago. :) Yet, I would prefer even more horizontal and vertical space for content/posts. This can be easily achieved with a slightly smaller font and/or a smaller line spacing. Also, some chunky black menu bars can be much smaller and this ugly top menu bar shouldn't be continuously visible, wasting vertical space. And please get rid of the black & white theme. Nothing wrong with blue or even purple shades, anything but black and white.. Thanks. :)

1 minute ago, Abtr said:

Well, it all looks much better now than it did 2 days ago. :) Yet, I would prefer even more horizontal and vertical space for content/posts. This can be easily achieved with a slightly smaller font and/or a smaller line spacing. Also, some chunky black menu bars can be much smaller and this ugly top menu bar shouldn't be continuously visible, wasting vertical space. And please get rid of the black & white theme. Nothing wrong with blue or even purple shades, anything but black and white.. Thanks. :)

Thanks for the feedback. At least now someone argued for a smaller font, rather than the others arguing for a larger font :~)

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Ha!

I just enabled this. You may need to refresh your browser to take advantage of the size.

Notice the reflow issue.

Chris -- looks great!  Was away for a few hours and it's now looking so good -- much more comfortable feel!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
10 hours ago, accwai said:

Two quick questions:

• How does one insert a video?
  • Is there a way to turn off WYSIWYG and edit the BBCode directly?

Thanks!

The only way for me to show  the source for people to edit the code directly is to enable posting of HTML. No forum on Earth allows that any more. Bummer. 

Well now that I have Streams defined which list just Topics and not every post, I am a exceedingly happy with the new CA!

Only three things could make if better for me:

1) Less vertical white space!  Members' multi-line signatures have huge amounts of wasted vertical space, and even the text of posts could handle a point or two less leading.  Would gain scrolling efficiency without sacrificing readability.

2) I do wish that a single "carriage return" did not result in a giant paragraph break.  I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it still is a bit jarring.  And besides, when typing a small list of items it is often not desirable to have full paragraph breaks between lines.  Just seems wasteful. 

3) The all-white background is tiring on my eyes--day and night.  I don't mind it behind text, but how about making the background at the sides some neutral, low intensity grey?

Thanks for considering all the feedback from members Chris.  And congratulations on what looks--just from the outside of course--to have been a very smooth transition for such a complete replacement of the site.

Best,

--Alex

P.S.  I clicked on the menu/tab for "Store," hoping to see some available CA swag.  T-shirts? Thumb drives?  Nothing!  I'm sure you'll get on that in your "spare" time. :P