24 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Reading this...

...makes me wonder why I should´nt try a DC2.1/5.5mm female socket>short wires between positive and negative terminals>ELNA silmic II 1000uF>DC2.1/5.5 male plug pre my Aqvox switch, ISO Regen and Aries Mini? In other words just letting the Gophert supply the regulated voltage and the capacitors to take care of the leakage. Would that actually work and block DC leakage into the device?

I hope you all realize that I am thinking out loud here, since my knowledge of capacitors is very limited! ;)

What do you mean DC leakage... Caps block DC and pass AC

2 minutes ago, marce said:

What do you mean DC leakage... Caps block DC and pass AC

My main interest is try to block any kind of SMPS leakage or network leakage coming in through the external DC power cables into the powered device. That is really what I am trying to acheive with external voltage regulators. I know very little to none about capacitors, but since I am using two ELNA silmic II 1000uF caps on the input/output of the LM317 voltage regulator by recommendations, my thoughts was really if removing the LM317 and using only the ELNA actually could prove more beneficial due to the absence of an additional voltage regulator? It would´nt surprice me at all if I am on the wrong track, but I do appreciate if you could´nt bring me back to track. Why is the capacitors useful at a DC path? 

🎛️  Audio System  

19 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

today I replaced the incoming ceramic 47uf capacitors with a 1000uf ELNA Silmic on LT3045 1Ah,
and suddenly all dynamics were there, more 3d, more organic sound, better bass, more details
definitely sounds better,

:)

Cool! You would'nt have any pictures to show how you've done it? ?

🎛️  Audio System  

22 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

today I replaced the incoming ceramic 47uf capacitors with a 1000uf ELNA Silmic on LT3045 1Ah,
and suddenly all dynamics were there, more 3d, more organic sound, better bass, more details

What made you think those 47uf caps were the bottleneck?  Can I send all my LT3045 boards to you??  :)

3 hours ago, TubeMan said:

Surprise, surprise !

Ceramic capacitors still aren't the best choice for Audio, even the non microphonic types.

Incidentally, the LT3045 Applications Data shows only a measly 4.7uF input capacitor for a single LT3045 and 10uF for parallel LT3045.

The attached link may be of interest.

http://www.waltjung.org/PDFs/A_RealTime_Signal_Test_For_Capacitor_Quality.pdf

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I decided to make a new attempt without the LT3045's in series this evening. It sounded edgy and harsh in comparence. Much better with the LT3045's in series overall. When I put them back again I dropped the output voltage of the Gopherts a bit from 9v to 8,7v for the IR (LT3045: 8v+7v) and from 7v to 6,7v (LT3045: 6v+5v) giving it an initial 0.7v drop-down instead of 1v. I really expected a decrease in SQ, but it was actually the other way around. A tad more presence, firmer bass and increased 3D was a few noticable improvements I heard. I will keep them this way for sure! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

6 minutes ago, mozes said:

My LT3045’s are on the way. I ordered the 1A version, so can I just use them as they are or I have to upgrade caps? Actually I didn’t know that these boards have caps.

I have the LT3045's as is with the included (and soldered) caps. Yes, you can use them as they are. My 1A versions for Aries Mini is on the way as well. ?

🎛️  Audio System  

28 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I have the LT3045's as is with the included (and soldered) caps. Yes, you can use them as they are. My 1A versions for Aries Mini is on the way as well. ?

Thanks, I doubt they will improve upon the LPS-1 but will try and see. If not then will try them on my lithium batteries.

6 minutes ago, mozes said:

Thanks, I doubt they will improve uppn the LPS-1 but will try and see. If not then will try them on my lithium batteries.

Don't doubt before you try them! ? Try them both in singles and series before you rule them out, since there are certain advantages using single LT3045 as well. I will soon enough make a bigger comparison with LT3045's, LM317, shunt regulators and ELNA silmic II's in the mix to see what comes out of it. However, the LT3045's in series is surely a step-up in my perticular setup. Who knows where it ends-up though? ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Here is a quote from Alex at ALT Hi-Fi regarding shunt regulators that might interest someone:

"the strength of shunt regulators is that they minimise the influence between different schematic sections. This is possible because of the constant current consumption of the shunt regulators (their consumption is equal to the sum of current trough the load plus the current through the regulation transistors. And the sum is always constant and equal to the current on which is set the Constant Current Source in the front of schematic). This way, if you use shunt regulators for local decoupling of thedifferent schematic's sections, they will draw constant currents all the time and hence won't hamper the other schematic sections connected to the same power supply (prior to the shunts)."

This is partly why I am interested to try shunt regulators as an alternative option to LT3045's in series, since I am focused to minimize interfearences between devices.

🎛️  Audio System  

58 minutes ago, Cornan said:

This way, if you use shunt regulators for local decoupling of thedifferent schematic's sections, they will draw constant currents all the time and hence won't hamper the other schematic sections connected to the same power supply (prior to the shunts)."

In  other words, the Shunt Regulator should compensate for any changes in Current drawn by the device being powered, thus there should be no changes reflected back into other devices via the main power supply.

It's a little like using a high current Zener Diode for stabilisation purposes, but much more effective.

The JLH PSU add-on does similar, by generating a correction current in opposition to voltage ripple and momentary changes in voltage via the power supply. It has a typical standby current of around 16mA for correction (modulation)  purposes.

This is way less than most Shunt Regulators, and there is no voltage drop through it, so you don't need to start off with a higher voltage supply as with a typical Shunt Regulator, or generate quite a bit more heat.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

9 hours ago, sandyk said:

Surprise, surprise !

Ceramic capacitors still aren't the best choice for Audio, even the non microphonic types.

Incidentally, the LT3045 Applications Data shows only a measly 4.7uF input capacitor for a single LT3045 and 10uF for parallel LT3045.

The attached link may be of interest.

http://www.waltjung.org/PDFs/A_RealTime_Signal_Test_For_Capacitor_Quality.pdf

BOM (Bill of Materials)

LT3045 x1 : IC, Low Noise Power Solution, Linear Technology – United States
T495D476K025ATE250 x 1: Cap Tant Solid 47uF 25V D CASE 10%,Kemet – Japan  
GRM31CR71E106KA12L x2 : Cap Ceramic 10uF 25V X7R 10% SMD 1206, Murata – Japan 
GRM31MR71E475KA88L x1 : Cap Ceramic 4.7uF 25V X7R 10% SMD 1206, Murata – Japan
CRCW0603xxxxFKEA x1: Res Thick Film 0603 1% 0.1W(1/10W) ±100ppm, Vishay – USA

the 47uf has the input voltage with a multimeter,

1 hour ago, TubeMan said:

In which case, the Vendor is not sticking with the Application Guidelines.

LT3045 Applications 1.jpg

LT3045 Applications 2.jpg

LT3045 Applications 3.jpg..jpg

21 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

exactly,

Which in this case is probably a good thing, as he has most likely LISTENED to the sound of the V.R.  and decided to replace the Input capacitor with something that results in a more balanced sound overall.

2 hours ago, TubeMan said:

BOM (Bill of Materials)

LT3045 x1 : IC, Low Noise Power Solution, Linear Technology – United States
T495D476K025ATE250 x 1: Cap Tant Solid 47uF 25V D CASE 10%,Kemet – Japan  
GRM31CR71E106KA12L x2 : Cap Ceramic 10uF 25V X7R 10% SMD 1206, Murata – Japan 
GRM31MR71E475KA88L x1 : Cap Ceramic 4.7uF 25V X7R 10% SMD 1206, Murata – Japan
CRCW0603xxxxFKEA x1: Res Thick Film 0603 1% 0.1W(1/10W) ±100ppm, Vishay – USA

Thanks both @Tubeman & @ Sandyk for the advice. Will try these tweaks out when I find time(!)

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers.