IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

I feel I should apologise to everybody except ML. It was foolish of me to engage him. I will stop now.

Parts of this thread have been some kind of master class on how to be rude on internet forums.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

I would have thought that Tintinabulum's post was de facto evidence that MQA is not vaporware: "software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed."

Hi,

FWIW, you are absolutely correct. We need to use language & words according to their definition. In this case you following the definition of "vaporware" is dead on. It is my fond hope that the term "vaporware" does not become as meaningless as the word "troll." In this case, how well MQA files (or playback hardware) perform, do not fall under the definition of "vaporware."

FOOTNOTE: I have zero experience with MQA, and likely never will: therefore i have no basis whatsoever to comment on it.

By the way and direct quote from John Sully:

my questioning attitude finally got Michael to kick me off.

Seems par for the course.

I think that smart money is find out whom Michael has kicked off astream and have Chris invite and give them a platform at CA to debunk all the shit that streams forth from astream.

As an example I'll point out that Ethan Winer went after Audioholics and started with DMCA take down requests of 2 of their YouTube channel videos.

The instant result was the videos challenged where immediately taken down. No questions, no rebuttal, no such thing as any mediation or other due process.

Gene DellaSala had to get his Attorney ($$) involved just to get the videos restored.

A few take away's:

1. It costs nothing for some one to file a complaint. Frivolous or otherwise.

2. It's three strikes and you're out at YouTube.

3. It costs money to even defend the most merit-less of claims.

I wish take down requests would initially be fee based and you only get the fee back if your take down is upheld. If you use the system repeatedly the fee would increment.

Yep, but that is the problem with DMCA and the way copyright is litigated in this country - it is a protect the "rights holder" first and foremost. Of course, they have the lobby and are the ones listened to when these pieces of legislation are written. I know, let's buy into a format that does all this with our music... ;)

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Hi,

FWIW, you are absolutely correct. We need to use language & words according to their definition. In this case you following the definition of "vaporware" is dead on. It is my fond hope that the term "vaporware" does not become as meaningless as the word "troll." In this case, how well MQA files (or playback hardware) perform, do not fall under the definition of "vaporware."

FOOTNOTE: I have zero experience with MQA, and likely never will: therefore i have no basis whatsoever to comment on it.

Your right. Let's call it "DarthVaderware" now... ;) >>>I kid I kid!!!<<<

I LOVE this idea. I'll send chips for the first meeting.

I connected my AQ Vodka RJE and it came through in color. If you saw black and white it's just because you don't have high end enough gear or your eyes just aren't good enough. Plus look at all the $$ you saved by being 'normal'.

I connected my AQ Vodka RJE and it came through in color. If you saw black and white it's just because you don't have high end enough gear or your eyes just aren't good enough. Plus look at all the $$ you saved by being 'normal'.

As a color blind man, I resent this uncivility. However, if you get me a handicrapper parking sticker all will be forgiven...

I think that smart money is find out whom Michael has kicked off astream and have Chris invite and give them a platform at CA to debunk all the shit that streams forth from astream.

The smart money is not to do this to CA. Chris really doesn't need this.

Steve Plaskin

I would have thought that Tintinabulum's post was de facto evidence that MQA is not vaporware: "software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed."

Norton

I love posts like yours. Bottom up thinkers who think if a few can be bought it must be real. Look at Tidal from the top down. They have 46.2 million tracks, 30,000 tracks converted to MQA is irrelevant. If every currently available hi-res track was converted to MQA and put on Tidal you would still have less than 200,000 tracks to choose from (15,000 x 12).

I consider any process, proposed standard or format less than .25% of the population to be vaporware. When it gets to 1 % of the population then let’s talk about whether the format is commercially viable.

I would like you to do something for me. Tell me what you project the royalty revenue to be for the MQA songs on Tidal for January 2017 to MQA LTD. Then convince me that number has any value other than MQA can now say they have a revenue stream.

I have no interest in MQA but the premise of this thread is absurd bearing in mind I can buy an MQA DAC on the high street of my small English town and download or stream MQA titles today. Therefore MQA is by definition not vaporware. Does anything more need to be said?

Norton

I love posts like yours. Bottom up thinkers who think if a few can be bought it must be real. Look at Tidal from the top down. They have 46.2 million tracks, 30,000 tracks converted to MQA is irrelevant. If every currently available hi-res track was converted to MQA and put on Tidal you would still have less than 200,000 tracks to choose from (15,000 x 12).

I consider any process, proposed standard or format less than .25% of the population to be vaporware. When it gets to 1 % of the population then let’s talk about whether the format is commercially viable.

I would like you to do something for me. Tell me what you project the royalty revenue to be for the MQA songs on Tidal for January 2017 to MQA LTD. Then convince me that number has any value other than MQA can now say they have a revenue stream.

Can we make this more constructive? Michael Lavorgna isn't going to change his style or personality, right?

If we are concerned that MQA represents a clash between consumer and corporate interests, we need to collectively figure out how to effectively counteract its momentum.

The question here has been whether this momentum is real or just a lot of propaganda and MQA business development investment activity.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

You should fact check a bit before you go off. What they say is you don't need to buy anything to get all the benefits of MQA. That's why I've never considered ponying up money for any of this.

Facts: Paul McGowan bashing MQA

MQA thoughts | PS Audio

Fact, another sycophant loser statement:

"I too wish they’d just release this as software so the compressed file could be decoded and leave the DAC design to us."

Money, get back

I'm all right Jack keep your hands off of my stack

Money, it's a hit

Don't give me that do goody good bullshit

I'm in the high-fidelity first class traveling set

And I think I need a Lear jet

Dude, take it offline, I am trying to discuss MQA here alright?

That word doesn't mean what you think it means. Using it incorrectly makes you look foolish. Did you just recently learn that word? Do yourself a favor and look it up.

I thought "loser" was too strong so I added sycophant and I don't feel like changing it, feel free to pile on

Are you defending that guy? Did you pay $$$$ for one of their Dacs?

Norton

I think you misunderstand my point. Whether MQA is commercially viable is an entirely reasonable matter for debate, on which I have no view and less interest. But to discuss whether something which is freely available to buy today is vaporware is ridiculous and ultimately pointless. I'm sure we could all generate similar long and pointless threads on any topic if we too chose to egocentrically redefine common English usage.

I think you misunderstand my point. Whether MQA is commercially viable is an entirely reasonable matter for debate, on which I have no view and less interest. But to discuss whether something which is freely available to buy today is vaporware is ridiculous and ultimately pointless. I'm sure we could all generate similar long and pointless threads on any topic if we too chose to egocentrically redefine common English usage.

When this thread was started, there were a handful of MQA DACs (mostly from Meridian) on the market. There was no music other than a few 2L releases. There was no software decode. It was, by all accounts, vapourware. Just days later, however, Tidal launched their software decoder and a bunch of titles for streaming, shortly followed by announcements of software MQA decoding to come in several popular players.

If this is the CG that used to post here, he is worth listening to!

I read some posts of his and it would be a good conversation to have.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Can we make this more constructive? Michael Lavorgna isn't going to change his style or personality, right?

If we are concerned that MQA represents a clash between consumer and corporate interests, we need to collectively figure out how to effectively counteract its momentum.

The question here has been whether this momentum is real or just a lot of propaganda and MQA business development investment activity.

I agree. ML did make one valid point. "Lavorgna and MQA Are Taking Over the Music Industry to Issue DRM....and They're Going to Make a LOT OF $MONEY$!" just isn't doing it.

What do you think about "Bob Stuart is Holding Sex Slaves in a Pizzeria and Won't Release Them Unless They Listen To MQA.....And It Sounds REALLY BAD!"

In a sense (not that you mean it this way), you are correct. Look up the etymology of "civil". We are not of the same "city", the same philosophy and loyalties when it comes to audio. That is why we have real disagreement (your a subjectivist all the way, I lean towards an "objectivist" understanding, etc.). What you can't do is control the city and put me in jail or otherwise silence my perspective, and that bothers you...So you come with a SCIENCE on your side...or so you thought ;)

Instead of talking about the etymology of "civil" - which is a red herring in this context - why don't you look up the MEANING of "civil", in my dictionary, definition number 2 is "courteous and polite".

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

When this thread was started, there were a handful of MQA DACs (mostly from Meridian) on the market. There was no music other than a few 2L releases. There was no software decode. It was, by all accounts, vapourware. Just days later, however, Tidal launched their software decoder and a bunch of titles for streaming, shortly followed by announcements of software MQA decoding to come in several popular players.

That's still not vaporware.