IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

You don't see the comments he was banned for because I either edit them out when there's something of substance or I delete the entire comment when there is nothing of substance.

Look, plissken, if you call me a coward and hack and follow that up with you're going to say these things to my face, you can expect a strong response from me. Is this appropriate behavior? No. But that's what you'll get from me. Id' suggest if you this kind of thing upsets you, you should tone down your own comments.

No, I'll SUPPORT my comments.

What empirical benchmarking have you ever done with your ears that would lead anyone believe you have the ability you claim have to hear audibility of Ethernet cables in the face of:

1. No measurements of your own

2. Measurements that other people have made

3. No meaningful rebuttal of measurements made by other people

BTW I've been reading CG's comments and I'm not surprised @ the amount of push back. The Audiophile Sony SD card thread was particularly eye opening as to his attempting to maintain an entrenched position that just isn't possible.

This post of his is problematic and it's a lack of understanding on his part and way to many assumptions made.

Thinking about Bandcamp (which I love by the way - scared to think how much of my $ they have) I wonder if they (or any "indie" effort) is a solution to the poor recording problem. They admit that the majority of their customers download the MP3 instead of the 16/44 even though it is the same price! This would indicate to me that the real root of the problem is the musical consumer - the majority just don't demand or expect good recordings....

I spoke to a rep at Bandcamp about this very subject. I'm not so sure I would say that they don't demand or expect good recordings, I think it may be more a matter of knowing the difference. The "industry" has done a very good job of selling the MP3 and I think that many people equate "MP3" with "download". FLAC, WAV, etc is, understandably, not exactly a compelling story ;-)

He definitely hawks his blog, on which he makes money through advertising, on other sites, including CA.

Pardon my ignorance, how does that work - some kind of "click through" linkage between yours and his?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Thinking about Bandcamp (which I love by the way - scared to think how much of my $ they have) I wonder if they (or any "indie" effort) is a solution to the poor recording problem. They admit that the majority of their customers download the MP3 instead of the 16/44 even though it is the same price! This would indicate to me that the real root of the problem is the musical consumer - the majority just don't demand or expect good recordings....

Dynamic range compression is an artistic decision made by people involved in the creation of the art (music). Musician, singer, producer, mastering engineer, label head, etc... all factor in. The only way to change this is to get people to want to change their art.

I would never tell a painter to use different colors because some people who are color blind can't see the entire painting. The tail shouldn't wag the dog.

I'd love it if all albums had huge dynamic range and were recorded using best practices, but I also don't want to impede on the artistic process.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

No, I'll SUPPORT my comments.

What empirical benchmarking have you ever done with your ears that would lead anyone believe you have the ability you claim have to hear audibility of Ethernet cables in the face of:

1. No measurements of your own

2. Measurements that other people have made

3. No meaningful rebuttal of measurements made by other people

BTW I've been reading CG's comments and I'm not surprised @ the amount of push back. The Audiophile Sony SD card thread was particularly eye opening as to his attempting to maintain an entrenched position that just isn't possible.

The work I do on AudioStream speaks for itself. You seem to expect to find things *you value* on AudioStream regardless of what is *actually there*. When you don't find it, you then assume it's not there for all sorts of reasons other than the actual reasons.

Therefore, I have no way of making any kind of rational sense of your position except to say that if what I *actually write* does not satisfy your needs, don't read it. Simple.

If, on the other hand, you think you can bully me into sharing your ugly fantasies, you would be wrong.

Is that clear?

Pardon my ignorance, how does that work - some kind of "click through" linkage between yours and his?

He posts links to his blog, see his last post here on CA. On his blog he has several banners advertising products similar to those he talks about. Based on number of impressions and clicks, he gets paid by the service he uses to display banners.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

He posts links to his blog, see his last post here on CA. On his blog he has several banners advertising products similar to those he talks about. Based on number of impressions and clicks, he gets paid by the service he uses to display banners.

Ok, I read too much into what you said - I was thinking some kind more overt linkage...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Archimago also took an entire post from AS, a full html copy/past including images, links, footnotes, etc, and reproduced it on his site.

It took time, my time and our legal department's time, to get it taken down. This kind of behavior is for me, about the worst kind of behavior.

I've discussed this subject on AS for years.

In my experience, complaining to "the labels" about dynamic compression is not effective in any way. What I will say is that I am unambiguously *not* a fan of the major labels. Ive also been clear about this this on AS. Which is why I regularly promote sites like Bandcamp.

I totally understand. As a consumer of digital content going back to the original rollout of CDs (well, maybe not until around 1985 or so), I think it's just disgraceful how much good music the major labels have turned into garbage. I'm perfectly willing to admit that it's perhaps naive to think that they can be shown the error of their ways.

But I was thinking that perhaps Michael Fremer deserves a little credit for the modern renaissance of vinyl (even though most is digitally sourced, a different topic). Hopefully you see where I'm going with that thought. :-)

I totally understand. As a consumer of digital content going back to the original rollout of CDs (well, maybe not until around 1985 or so), I think it's just disgraceful how much good music the major labels have turned into garbage. I'm perfectly willing to admit that it's perhaps naive to think that they can be shown the error of their ways.

But I was thinking that perhaps Michael Fremer deserves a little credit for the modern renaissance of vinyl (even though most is digitally sourced, a different topic). Hopefully you see where I'm going with that thought. :-)

I agree with you re. Michael Fremer (but I may be biased). My approach is, I'd hope, fairly obvious -- keep music in the forefront of the conversation. This is why we begin and end each week with a post about music.

Dynamic range compression is an artistic decision made by people involved in the creation of the art (music). Musician, singer, producer, mastering engineer, label head, etc... all factor in. The only way to change this is to get people to want to change their art.

Hi Chris

I was talking strictly about catalog titles that we have earlier examples of where they are not dynamically compromised. I care very little about mastering techniques of modern music. One exception: some newer classical titles seem to be flirting with the Loudness Wars.

I would never tell a painter to use different colors because some people who are color blind can't see the entire painting. The tail shouldn't wag the dog.

I'd love it if all albums had huge dynamic range and were recorded using best practices, but I also don't want to impede on the artistic process.

I don't buy it. Literally.

Overcompression isn't going to go away until people stop buying overcompressed music. There are various ways to work towards this, but it's a whole new thread.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

He definitely hawks his blog, on which he makes money through advertising, on other sites, including CA.

I looked up some of his posts and specifically for any threads he's created. Using his TEAC DAC review thread here at CA as an example.

So as I can best understand your side:

1. He's not even running his own domain name so he really has zero ability do do any significant SEO or other like.

2. He could have chosen better name that isn't going to get swamped by a Literary sorcerer.

3. I don't think it's feasible to do the amount of measuring and write up he's done and then directly input/replicate it to individual sites.

4. If he was really going to monetize he would register a domain name and probably start up a forum.

5. Given his blogs continuously low Alexa rating, well it leads me to doubting he's in it for the Ferrari.

I think his input outweighs any potential negative. I'm surprised that you feel this way with someone running a blogspot.com account.

I think the best thing to do is ask him to simply make him add his blog to his signature like any industry insider if that is your fear: Monetization.

There may be some behind the scenes that I'm missing.

Archimago also took an entire post from AS, a full html copy/past including images, links, footnotes, etc, and reproduced it on his site.

It took time, my time and our legal department's time, to get it taken down. This kind of behavior is for me, about the worst kind of behavior.

No one should ever do something like that without proper attribution. I have no problem with the copy/paste, just make sure to attribute it properly.

I looked up some of his posts and specifically for any threads he's created. Using his TEAC DAC review thread here at CA as an example.

So as I can best understand your side:

1. He's not even running his own domain name so he really has zero ability do do any significant SEO or other like.

2. He could have chosen better name that isn't going to get swamped by a Literary sorcerer.

3. I don't think it's feasible to do the amount of measuring and write up he's done and then directly input/replicate it to individual sites.

4. If he was really going to monetize he would register a domain name and probably start up a forum.

5. Given his blogs continuously low Alexa rating, well it leads me to doubting he's in it for the Ferrari.

I think his input outweighs any potential negative. I'm surprised that you feel this way with someone running a blogspot.com account.

I think the best thing to do is ask him to simply make have him add his blog to his signature like any industry insider if that is your fear: Monetization.

I don't fear anything with him. I was simply stating the fact that he uses other sites to direct traffic to his site, and he makes money from his site.

It would probably serve him better to not display advertising, unless he is making "good" money from it.

I like some of his posts here on CA and on his own site.

With respect to your comments.

1. He is using the blogspot / blogger platform owned by google. Google takes a cut of all his advertising revenue. Right there is an SEO advantage that can't be underestimated.

2. Agree, but not really relevant to the discussion.

3. Not sure.

4. Possibly.

5. Believe me, none of us are in it for the Ferrari.

No one should ever do something like that without proper attribution. I have no problem with the copy/paste, just make sure to attribute it properly.

I do. He took my work, plain and simple, and used it to promote his work. It's called copyright infringement. "Fair Use" is another matter altogether and no one in their right mind thinks that "Fair Use" allows for the full re-print of someone's work in its entirety.

I do. He took my work, plain and simple, and used it to promote his work. It's called copyright infringement. "Fair Use" is another matter altogether and no one in their right mind thinks that "Fair Use" allows for the full re-print of someone's work in its entirety.

Are you talking about that sponsored piece by iFi that Archimago quoted in large part so he could reply to it in context? That kind of copying is often considered fair use.

Fair use is contextually sensitive. I don't have enough information with which to do any assessment.

Mansr: Can this be located with the internet wayback machine?

You believe Fair Use allows for a complete re-print?

It certainly can. I just finished editing a 38,000 word paper on civil asset forfeiture starting with the 'All Writs' act and it's contribution to the U.S. revolutionary war to current times.

There are 208 citations. Some are complete works and then broken down and responded to. It's called direct quotation.

Word of advice: Don't get pulled over by the Police. If you even have $600 in cash they can simply take it away and you need to somehow prove it's not illicit.

Fair use is contextually sensitive. I don't have enough information with which to do any assessment.

Mansr: Can this be located with the internet wayback machine?

I'm not aware of any archive with a copy.

Now I'm certain copyright was just the hammer they used to have it taken down. If he's praised the piece, I don't think they would have cared nearly as much.

It certainly can. I just finished editing a 38,000 word paper on civil asset forfeiture starting with the 'All Writs' act and it's contribution to the U.S. revolutionary war to current times.

There are 208 citations. Some are complete works and then broken down and responded to. It's called direct quotation.

Word of advice: Don't get pulled over by the Police. If you even have $600 in cash they can simply take it away and you need to somehow prove it's not illicit.

Yes, it can. That's not the question or point here.