IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

And that is a cop out.

What was the 'natural' condition that allowed you to hear 'easy to discern' and 'readily apparent' differences?

You essentially compared cable A to cable B. You aren't being asked to do anything other than that. You don't need to know the cable in your system to evaluate it's characteristics.

Your claims are being tested.

How is it a 'natural' condition to go to a show and hear differences in Ethernet cabling?

Request nr. 6 [emoji1]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

It seems to me that a more imminent and real concern is the decline of download sales and increasing popularity of streaming. I think we can agree that hi-res downloads are a niche within the download niche. As such, one question on my mind is how long can hi-res download sites survive?

If we couple this with hi-res streaming and the label's desire for copy protection, it strikes me that the more real and present danger (apologies) is the longevity of hi-res downloads.

Agree

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I think it is a bit over concerned that MQA dacs will go off market completely. Some may go off and some new ones may emerge, although the choice might be limited. If it is tale tell sign, we can see online vid or iptv flourished because of better codec and compression, I would think MQA would do reasonable well on high res streaming. I have not listened to MQA yet, the digital music technology is moving too fast than I able to cope. :P

Plus, there's also the chance that MQA can modify their requirements, licensing to make it more attractive. I would not be surprised to see the MQA label sit aside all the other " NASCAR" labels on A/V equipment. Meridian needs to get non USB Dacs in the $400 -$800 range out there.

And that is a cop out.

What was the 'natural' condition that allowed you to hear 'easy to discern' and 'readily apparent' differences?

You essentially compared cable A to cable B. You aren't being asked to do anything other than that. You don't need to know the cable in your system to evaluate it's characteristics.

Your claims are being tested.

How is it a 'natural' condition to go to a show and hear differences in Ethernet cabling?

If you've read my reviews, you would know that I spent more than a month doing comparisons.

Why?

Good question!

Because short-term listening results have no bearing on long term listening results.

Because it takes real time to get beyond initial impressions

Because taking real time and 'living' with things allows you to reduce the impact of 'the new'

I could go on but I hope you get the drift.

Also, on a more personal level - you are the guy who:

Doesn't have the knowledge to make the claims you are making

Has called me a "coward" and a "hack"

So, since your little "test" is based on a faulty assumption and will not produce a valid result, I'd only be taking part in it to humor you.

Here's a test for you plissken - why in the world would I do that?

Agree

I'd imagine you've read about the DEG CES presentation on hi-res. While HDtracks did not speak at this press event, there was a slide from them with this quote:

"HDtracks is excited about the opportunity to bring studio quality music, along with exciting new features, to a whole new group of serious music fans and streaming enthusiasts."

Those last two words are interesting.

There's that ad hominem I was talking about.

I've read everything (I think) you're written about MQA on Audiostream. Most of it is gushing, no-holds-barred evangelism (some would call it shameless shilling). So I totally get that I shouldn't expect anything even remotely objective or even handed in your responses about MQA.

MQA claims to be partnering with the major labels to improve the sound we hear. But isn't MQA being completely disingenuous by being a willing (perhaps even enthusiastic) partner in further disseminating dynamically compromised material?

The labels (at least Warner) seem to be listening when MQA says:

Setting aside Mr. Christlu's apparent lack of understanding of HDTracks pricing model, why are the labels (and investors?) listening to this and not our constant complaints about how awful dynamically compromised material sounds? It's antithetical to "high fidelity", yet the record companies still believe "loud sells". Don't you have some duty to carry the torch for high fidelity? Otherwise, how are you not being disingenuous or craven yourself?

Here are some of the things I've written about MQA that you appear to have overlooked:

From January 2016:

In terms of adoption, i.e. should you run out and buy an MQA-enabled DAC TODAY!? Why would you? We are, in the end, talking about the enjoyment of listening to music on the hi-fi. Nothing more, nothing less. MQA is another means toward that end and to my mind, based on actually hearing MQA, it's certainly worth listening to. For yourself. Once you do, then, and only then, can you make an informed decision.

Read more at MQA Continued | AudioStream

From May 2016:

This raises an interesting point, which Paul [McGowan of PS Audio] states very clearly, "...one of the whole reasons we went to an FPGA based DAC in the first place was the freedom to improve the product’s performance over time." For those DAC designers who stick to off-the-shelf chip-based digital filters and D/A conversion, MQA may very well be an easy add-on and improvement. But for those companies who choose to roll their own digital processing like PS Audio, Schiit, Ayre Acoustics, Playback Designs, Chord, etc, MQA may introduce restrictions and dependencies on MQA into their design process that some may not be willing to take on.

Read more at PS Audio's Paul McGowan Weighs In On MQA | AudioStream

From May 2016:

Just how much of an improvement over non-MQA encoded music depended on the recording, and just how wow-inducing these changes were depended on the DAC. For me, when just listening to music I enjoy, MQA was a nice-to-have change in the queue but, and this is an important but, I was not somehow suddenly disappointed with my non-MQA music. Sticking with Mytek's Brooklyn and HQPlayer, I was able to get nice and cozy with all of my music, no problem. Did I miss MQA? For some recordings, like the Doors, sure. But not so much as to get around the fact that for my listening habits, MQA needs to offer a very large catalog of MQA-encoded music before I get really excited.

Read more at MQA Reviewed | AudioStream

From October 2016:

"Should I sell my DAC, which I love, to buy an MQA DAC right now?"

No.

And I say no because MQA does not supersede all other DAC design factors. A $99 MQA DAC will not outperform a dCS Rossini. Sorry, life doesn't work that way.

"What would you do?"

I recently purchased the totaldac d-1 six, a non-MQA DAC. That's what I did. Why? I love listening to my music through it. All of my music.

Read more at Ask AudioStream: MQA | AudioStream

just remember- THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Where?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I'll respond because all of the off-topic nonsense is related to me posting here. My apologies for that. But you can take this as a one-off deal as I will not be a regular here.

You'll be in good company .. more than a few industry folk have either left CA or post infrequently. It's unfortunate.

You'll be in good company .. more than a few industry folk have either left CA or post infrequently. It's unfortunate.

The issue I have is that people can obviously say whatever they like. "SamuelTCogley" and "crenca", for example, have, to put it kindly, misrepresented the truth at my expense. While anyone familiar with what I write will recognize this, people who are not familiar with what I write may very well take them at their word.

As I hope you can see, any attempt at a "conversation" with people like "SamuelTCogley" and "crenca" only leads to more of the same - outright misrepresentation of the truth and outright lies, respectively. If one chooses to respond, it is difficult not to be on the defensive, which in itself can come across as questionable behavior.

So participation here is a lose-lose proposition for me.

How much support do you see for ATRAC or RealAudio these days?

Frankly speaking I don't know what ATRAC or RealAudio is but I got your point. Also let's not forget MQA can be played with normal dac just without the unfolding high res part.

The backward compatibility with cd quality is well thought off to ensure it can survive. And as Michael Lavorgna aptly put it, MQA main business is online streaming of high res. So if put thing into perspective, with some people here like the effect of MQA, if MP3 can survive, I think MQA also can last. Just my thought, and sorry it is a bit long winded.

Where?

Supposing truth is a woman—what then? Are there not grounds for the suspicion that all philosophers, insofar as they were dogmatists, have been very inexpert about women? that the gruesome seriousness, the clumsy obtrusiveness with which they have usually approached truth so far have been awkward and very improper methods for winning a woman's heart?

Supposing truth is a woman—what then? Are there not grounds for the suspicion that all philosophers, insofar as they were dogmatists, have been very inexpert about women? that the gruesome seriousness, the clumsy obtrusiveness with which they have usually approached truth so far have been awkward and very improper methods for winning a woman's heart?

Well, that Nietzsche was an expert on women ;-)

That's really a lovely train of thought. Haven't gotten into Nietzche, but perhaps I should.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question, but I'm a Newbie. Is this the Breitbart site I've been reading so much about?

Thanks, that was a good laugh.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.