IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Then, a well thought out post over at the Linn forums breaking down many of the possible downsides to MQA was reposted in the comments section of one of ML's MQA posts at Audiostream.

I posted (#693) on the Linn statement, but nobody on this thread thought it was worth reading.

Now can someone explain to me, is there any way to see the DRM restrictions in these MQA files that Tidal is supposed to be offering their paying Hi-Fi users. I understand I can't play a full MQA file on a non certified DAC, but how is it we can still play part of the file. IS it those same restrictions that is preventing a full MQA presence.

With a Tidal HiFi account, you can play up to 24/96 files. If the original file is 24/96 (or 24/48, 24/88.2), you get 24/96 (or 24/48, 24/88.2). The restriction for MQA software decoders is they do not deliver resolutions above 96kHz.

Notice that post got 2 thankyous and 2 likes. I liked it...but then again, I'm Nobody. ;)

I did notice the that two people clicked the button. "Nobody" was a bit of hyperbole. My point is why should people waste their time trying to contribute if only two people read it. It takes even a prodigy a while to write a thoughtful post.

I respectfully disagree. ML did not come here to avail himself to everyone's questions. That's what his blog is for and that's what he gets paid for. I concede that his desire to maintain his stature encouraged him to engage in the slightest, tiny bit of polite back and forth with some forum members that showed him the requisite reverence. But no new information was revealed, and he would be a fool to reveal anything new anywhere else but his blog.

I'm going to stick to the topic except to say that if you're considering a career as a mind reader, keep your day job.

I read it as well. Your novice social media skills continue to impress.

Don't you remember when people used to write? I know you've been blogging since the internet was invented in the early '80s, by Al Gore I believe. It never occurred to me that writing on forums was some type of special communication skill you had to work on.

Don't you remember when people used to write? I know you've been blogging since the internet was invented in the early '80s, by Al Gore I believe. It never occurred to me that writing on forums was some type of special communication skill you had to work on.

Oops. Ayn Rand fan?

Lookup Vint Cerf (not me) and educate yourself a bit.

This thread is a discussion about whether or not MQA is "vaporware". Between the time this thread was started and now, the Warner MQA dump happened. Then, a well thought out post over at the Linn forums breaking down many of the possible downsides to MQA was reposted in the comments section of one of ML's MQA posts at Audiostream. Then, that post was deleted. The stated justification was that it was an advertisement for Linn. Then, ML's motives for doing that deletion were questioned. Then, ML showed up here. And here we are.

Seriously, this thread was never about what MQA sounds like. There are many other threads at CA that discuss that.

So, "MQA Is Vaporware" is clearly not the case. What are your thoughts on MQA and Tidal?

Do you think that Tidal HiFi subscribers are getting a benefit now that they can stream hi-res? Or do you see a potential downside?

For what it's worth (probably not much to this crowd) my view of CA just took a 180 degree turn over the past 24 hours.

From a guy who joined in the past 15 days with 21 posts? I know know, long time lurker first time poster...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Now can someone explain to me, is there any way to see the DRM restrictions in these MQA files that Tidal is supposed to be offering their paying Hi-Fi users. I understand I can't play a full MQA file on a non certified DAC, but how is it we can still play part of the file. IS it those same restrictions that is preventing a full MQA presence.

Sure, you can play the files as long as you are a paid TIDAL Hi-Fi subscriber. The fear is that MQA is angling to replace hi-res PCM, so your only choices for listening to hi-res would be subscribing to a premium streaming service or downloading MQA files and playing them back on a certified DAC.

MQA gets paid at least twice in either scenario.