IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Sure, you can play the files as long as you are a paid TIDAL Hi-Fi subscriber. The fear is that MQA is angling to replace hi-res PCM, so your only choices for listening to hi-res would be subscribing to a premium streaming service or downloading MQA files and playing them back on a certified DAC.

MQA gets paid at least twice in either scenario.

This fear is ill-founded. Pandora and Rhapsody announced at CES that they will be streaming hi-res this year and they are not using MQA. Pono is working on a hi-res streaming service using OraStream.

The point being, Pandora and Rhapsody have access to non-MQA hi-res files and Pono must also have the same access to non-MQA content. Warner is on record saying that they will continue to provide h-res to their distribution partners like HDtracks (who have also more than hinted at a hi-res streaming service).

My question - what basis is there for a belief that MQA will be the *only* source for hi-res?

You guys really are paranoid! What are you so afraid of?

Humm....I was referring to your perception that the user base had turned over in a few days because of this thread. ;)

Not sure what "fear" of anything has to do with that...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

"afraid" is not the word. Have a look at this link. The internet is overflowing with hidden agendas and false flags.

Dear Lord, your world sounds like Hunter S. Thompson's description of the music business. (Look it up, it's well worth it.)

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Humm....I was referring to your perception that the user base had turned over in a few days because of this thread. ;)

Not sure what "fear" of anything has to do with that...

I don't understand what you're saying? The user base had turned over? How is that my perception? I don't think the user base has turned over at all.

I don't understand what you're saying? The user base had turned over? How is that my perception? I don't think the user base has turned over at all.

Oops, my bad, I misread you. Your "view" took "180 degree turn" - somehow I got "users" in my head. Well, just think, the world is a more interesting place than it was before you got this new view... ;)

Oops, my bad, I misread you. Your "view" took "180 degree turn" - somehow I got "users" in my head. Well, just think, the world is a more interesting place than it was before you got this new view... ;)

No, I was tell you my view changed. I never meant to imply that anyone else's views had changed. How to I know what other people think.

No, I was tell you my view changed. I never meant to imply that anyone else's views had changed. How to I know what other people think.

Well, one effective method is water boarding...that usually gets them talking.

It will be much more interesting. I don't plan to post to any forums after today.

Yesterday my wife kept asking what I was doing and I told her, but that it was a complete waste of time, it was kind of creepy and wouldn't do it any more. It didn't make me feel good.

A few minutes ago she interrupted me to ask me to open a bottle of wine. I said "oh, I'm sorry I lost track because I'm blogging again." She said "oh no! I thought you said you were going to quit." I told her it was my farewell blog.

So, "MQA Is Vaporware" is clearly not the case. What are your thoughts on MQA and Tidal?

Do you think that Tidal HiFi subscribers are getting a benefit now that they can stream hi-res? Or do you see a potential downside?

Well, they could stream hi-res in non-proprietary forms, which would have been my preference. The music business, I think we can agree, has a pretty clumsy history regarding trying to keep folks from getting hold of unfettered digital formats (hi-res PCM, DSD) in the process of pushing stuff they can own (SACD, the best quality of MQA decoding). Historically I think this has held back public exposure to, and adoption of, various hi-res formats (DSD in particular- think how long Sony tried to maintain a death grip on that).

So yeah, reasonable people could be legitimately concerned.

Can't see any reason to go full Area 51 conspiracy-theory on this, though.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Well, they could stream hi-res in non-proprietary forms, which would have been my preference. The music business, I think we can agree, has a pretty clumsy history regarding trying to keep folks from getting hold of unfettered digital formats (hi-res PCM, DSD) in the process of pushing stuff they can own (SACD, the best quality of MQA decoding). Historically I think this has held back public exposure to, and adoption of, various hi-res formats (DSD in particular- think how long Sony tried to maintain a death grip on that).

So yeah, reasonable people could be legitimately concerned.

Can't see any reason to go full Area 51 conspiracy-theory on this, though.

Streaming in hi-res non-proprietary formats is coming from Pandora, Rhapsody, Pono, and others.

My question is - what basis do people have in thinking that MQA will be the *only* hi-res format?

It will be much more interesting. I don't plan to post to any forums after today.

Yesterday my wife kept asking what I was doing and I told her, but that it was a complete waste of time, it was kind of creepy and wouldn't do it any more. It didn't make me feel good.

A few minutes ago she interrupted me to ask me to open a bottle of wine. I said "oh, I'm sorry I lost track because I'm blogging again." She said "oh no! I thought you said you were going to quit." I told her it was my farewell blog.

You know, you bring up a good point about peoples differing "characters", dispositions, and inner make up. Some folks naturally shy away from conflict and disagreement, others are thrive in it. Not everyone can be a policeman or a doctor (two professions with very high degrees of constant conflict and stress). You should always listen to that inner "creepy" signal IMO - for your own well being.

My question - what basis is there for a belief that MQA will be the *only* source for hi-res?

Just that I believe that any for-profit corporation would prefer to corner whatever market they are in to maximize their own revenues.

I'm sure that MQA would love for people to go gonzo over the sound quality on TIDAL so that they have leverage to sign up the other streaming services and labels.

You know, you bring up a good point about peoples differing "characters", dispositions, and inner make up. Some folks naturally shy away from conflict and disagreement, others are thrive in it. Not everyone can be a policeman or a doctor (two professions with very high degrees of constant conflict and stress). You should always listen to that inner "creepy" signal IMO - for your own well being.

Couldn't agree more! At last we've found some common ground.

Just that I believe that any for-profit corporation would prefer to corner whatever market they are in to maximize their own revenues.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that MQA wants to corner the market? If so, I would say that current events more than suggest this is not the case.

Another question - do you think MQA has more influence than Pandora and Rhapsody with the record labels?

Couldn't agree more! At last we've found some common ground.

Careful, I am the kind of guy that will disolve that common ground just to toy with ya... ;)

Seriously, as a father of two young children I have been thinking about this lately - what is going to be my parental role and stance vis-a-vis "social media" and the like. One of the problems with it (as is widely known) is that it does not have the face-to-face social cues that helps us find "common ground" in a conflict/disagreement, and so conflict/disagreement on social media appears (and to some extant, is) wild, exaggerated, etc. This is a problem of course, but more so to those whose personal dispositions lead them to "avoid" conflict. It is not the same problem for guys like me who "thrive" in conflict.

Streaming in hi-res non-proprietary formats is coming from Pandora, Rhapsody, Pono, and others.

My question is - what basis do people have in thinking that MQA will be the *only* hi-res format?

Which had better video quality - Beta or VHS? :)

So that would be the problem, if MQA experiences sufficient success to drive others out of the market. On that score, I would be less concerned about Tidal out-competing rivals than about the labels deciding to throw their support (in the form of contracts with streaming companies) behind the format they believe allows them to control access to the best quality version.

It's very early days, and none of this is close to happening, but that I suppose would be the "doomsday scenario."

All of these services require content from Universal, Sony, and Warner.

Based on their track record to date, I have no problem at all seeing these record labels making MQA a requirement for access to their catalogs if they believe it to be the best way to protect their content.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I agree with nearly all you are saying. Where I would take exception is whether you have any way of knowing whether it's a problem for you or not. I don't see how poorly communicating with others in society can ever be a good thing, even if it doesn't make you feel creepy.

Sorry, I forgot to quote. It looks like that makes it a pain for everyone else. Don't know how to fix that.