IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

5 minutes ago, Jud said:

That’s the way one would think it ought to work, but in actuality the music companies have much more economic control over contractual arrangements and profit margins with the disc distribution system than they do with a download market where the price and profit margins for the vast majority of downloads are set by contract with Apple.

Hmmh, but Apple is not selling DSD downloads? I doubt selling SACD discs through Amazon is much more profitable than selling downloads through nativedsd.com or HDtracks...

At least if I would sell my software on CDs in a cardboard box that old way, it would at least double the price or more... Almost nobody sells boxed software anymore. It is hard for me to imagine selling music would be much different from selling software.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

30 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yep, agreed.  But something the size of the DSD download market is not why some labels and streaming services are trying out MQA.  I would guess they must want MQA as a better quality alternative for streaming and download markets that are now built around mp3/AAC.

I fail to understand why they would go with MQA instead of standard FLAC. It doesn't save any bandwidth - in fact it consumes more. Unless they wish it as a DRM vehicle...

But MP3/AAC don't contain DRM aspects by the spec, anybody can write a decoder. And now MP3 is patent license free too, so quite a bit cheaper than it used to be.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, FredericV said:

MQA does not contain real music content (e.g. harmonics) above 48 Khz, everything above 48 Khz nyquist is fake and contains aliasing errors.

It is even quite rolled off compared to brickwall 96k sampling rate PCM. Because their filters begin to roll off really early. At 48 kHz you find mostly artifacts if the source was higher than 96k rate.

6 hours ago, PeterV said:

It is very nice to notice that most classic albums from the label Deutsche Grammophon are being released on Tidal in both 16/44 and in MQA 24/96. Perfect comparison material. It will be interesting to compare Qobuz 24/96 flac with Tidal MQA.

Why do you compare RedBook to hires and not original hires to MQA hires?

In addition, classical music is poor for these comparisons because there's only small benefit of hires there and very few if any transients that could have any blur...

So far I've purchased bunch of albums in both original hires and MQA hires, but don't really see much point in the MQA version, since it is 2€ more expensive than the original and so much more restricted use... In addition it reduces quality...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

Two days ago I revisited Houses of The Holy and Physical Graffiti (LZ) to try out that strange hollow colored cymbal sound on these two, with my current settings and everything. Well, it seems to be gone. Mind you, this is so strange already on the LP, but MQA manages to remove it. And didn't I tell about a "too white" sound of MQA ?

Maybe MQA reduces the resolution enough to remove disturbing extra details? A bit like MP3/AAC can do for really bad recordings by removing some of the distortions by deciding those are not worth encoding.

You could probably get similar result with similar noise shaped dithering to 13-bit resolution or so. No need for MQA. Try with iZotope RX6?

24 minutes ago, Charles Hansen said:

We don't know the microphones, preamps, or cables, but many of 2L's recordings are done in multi-channel. Apparently most of the recent ones use the A/D converter built into the Pyramix DAW made by Merging Technologies of Switzerland. I've no idea how that sounds, as if you think about it, all of the same factors that affect the sound quality of a DAC also affect the sound quality of an ADC:

They usually list the most important pieces in the recording literature, like for 2L-38:

"This recording was made with DPA microphones, Millennia Media amplifiers and SPHYNX2 converters to a PYRAMIX workstation, all within the DXD-domain."

There are also some fairly detailed pictures of the recording events in their literature.

The better DPA mics use 130V phantom power, so that also limits the set of available microphone amplifiers.

Some related things I found somewhere in the past:

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/microphones/ddicate/4003-omnidirectional-microphone-130-v

https://www.mil-media.com/HV-3C.html

https://www.mil-media.com/HV-3D-8.html

http://www.digitalaudio.dk/AX24-ADDA-Converter-.2111.aspx

Channel Classics on the other hand, IIRC, uses also B&K / DPA mics and the Grimm AD-1 converter. I believe the mic pre-amps are custom built. I believe they now also use Merging Horus converter.

1 minute ago, crenca said:

After a little bit of googling, apparently there was a controversy about rather there was enough beryllium in the cone material for Usher to claim that is was a "beryllium" driver.  Apparently (if I am following the controversy correctly) all "beryllium" cones are in fact an "alloy" (i.e. a mix of beryllium and some other metal), and this reality gives manufactures much room to drop a little (some small percentage) of beryllium in their cones and claim to have a beryllium driver.

Yet more tales from the crypt of subjective Audiophiledom...

There is a nice way to find out material properties of these metal dome tweeters. Just check out the frequency where the about +20 dB dome breakup resonance is. For aluminum domes it is around 25 - 30 kHz (combine that with leaky digital filters for some ear piercing fun). For harder materials it can get up to around 50 kHz.

Soft dome tweeters typically have that resonance below the cross-over frequency.

16 minutes ago, mansr said:

In the B&W 600 series the aluminium dome resonance is at roughly 25 kHz. In the more expensive CM series, still aluminium, it is at 35 kHz or so. Can't say I can hear any difference from this.

Maybe you don't use as leaky filters to put much energy there, although it doesn't necessarily need input at that frequency to trigger it...

In any case, the main point was that it is good indication of material properties of the tweeter...

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Em2016 said:

But as you pointed out, their Apple Music subscriber numbers continue to climb even with just 256k. And Spotify's numbers continue to climb with just MP3320k, so it's no wonder neither of those companies is in a rush for Hi-Res streaming.

Spotify uses free Vorbis codec, not MP3... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mansr said:

The older ones (Micro, Nano, iDAC2) use the built-in filters of the TI DSD1973 DAC chip. I don't know if the newer (black) models do things differently.

iDSD Micro Black Label is same as the non-BL in that respect. It has the same firmware and DAC, but improved analog section. Now especially DSD512 gives better performance than before.

I think the new Nano Black is quite a bit different in this respect from the other models. Probably uses same XMOS code from MQA as the Pro-Ject DAC does.

1 minute ago, beetlemania said:

Meanwhile, I found that John Atkinson DID send his raw files plus impulse response to MQA :o

Why on Earth would he do that?

Because MQA doesn't let anybody have the encoder (without $20k encoder-box they sell). They sell encoding service where you pay to get your tracks encoded. And probably requires signing very restrictive NDA to get any kind access to any of this.

1 hour ago, beetlemania said:

So, MQA can only be created from the raw tracks, not the final master?

No, from the final master... Don't know why he would send anything else. I'm pretty certain nothing else than final master has been sent for all those Tidal masters... ;)

My point was just that one cannot encode MQA from the final master on their own.

Just now, davide256 said:

And conversely I bought a Linn Genki HDCD player in 2001 because it was the first time I heard a CD format that sounded  like music instead of torture  :)

Only the few HDCD discs, or in general?

AFAIK, Linn never had any special DSP, just COTS stuff on the digital side. IIRC Wolfson's DAC chips, which, BTW, some have apodizing digital filters.

39 minutes ago, mansr said:

Even large companies often tolerate competition. I don't see Ford pushing "tech" that would make every Mercedes incompatible with new roads.

Reminds me of clueless press reporting based on Fraunhofer & Sisvel & Technicolor's press release about end-of-licensing this spring that now MP3 is now dead and everybody should move to AAC and other codecs which of course was highly recommended in the same press release. :D

Because the patent licensing ended. Which happened because all relevant patents have expired across the globe.  So now everybody can use MP3 without paying royalties (that lovely minimum $20k/year that all small companies must love). But since it is open standard, it also means that people can now freely develop codecs and it by no means ends use of MP3 in products.

If it would have been like MQA, it could actually be dead by now without any new products coming out. And everybody could be required to upgrade new shiny hardware with MQA2.