IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Brahan Seer said:

Various rooms/stands with MQA kit, mentions, dems ... spotted other formats, too, including vinyl. 😉

mQa has presented in its own guise / right / as such / per se every Munich since 2015. see here

if mQa not at Munich as an exclusive presence that would be indicative in a good way to some of us.

bob stuart might be sporting a moustache or other disguise this year ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Peter Gunby said:

Footer on MQA's website-

The affairs, business and property of the Company are being managed by Philip David Reynolds and David Hudson who were appointed Joint Administrators on 3 April 2023. The Administrators act as agents of the Company and act without personal liability.

fantastic news 

24 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

"Following the recent positive reception to MQA’s latest technology (SCL6), there has been increased international interest in buying MQA Ltd. At the same time, MQA’s main financial backer is seeking an exit. In order to be in the best position to pursue market opportunities and expedite this process, the company has undergone a restructuring initiative, which includes entering into administration and is comparable to Chapter 11 in the US.

During this process, MQA continues to trade as usual alongside its partners.

We won't be commenting further while negotiations take place."

Up until recently, there has been a significant quality bottleneck, particularly when it comes to Bluetooth performance ... SCL6 is a way of packaging a file for transmission ... You need a source (say, a smartphone) and receiver (wireless headphones, for example) compatible with the codec ... MQA is in talks with a number of potential partners, including phone companies ... don’t be surprised to see announcements of SCL6-compatible products later in the year.

1. OK so SCL6 has legs?

2. It's not MQA as we know it (aided and abetted quasi-DRM and associated hardware leverage over impressionable consumers). A win as far as I'm concerned. MQA as such will be forgotten.

45 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The eternal optimist. Next time I have a bad day, I should call Peter V. He could spin any tragedy into a can't lose, opportunity not to be missed. I have to give him credit. 

24 minutes ago, firedog said:

Classic cognitive dissonance. He's spent years vociferously defending it, no matter what.

What will he say when it actually fails and goes away?

More of same here: Post in thread 'Whither MQA' https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/whither-mqa.36636/post-868051

2 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

@Iving … ... too much honour, a mass grave would already be too much … 😉

What's interesting to me ... I reckon the internet response - mainly on music related forums - is overwhelmingly "favourable" about the latest developments. Plenty of "likes" on posts declaring Rupert resignation and Administration news. The meme i just posted my favourite of all posts. If there are any folks upset about it all, or nurturing an alternative point of view, they are keeping very quiet on MQA threads. Possible exception of likes of PV and LS as we have seen. Lots of people saying this is overdue - and they're right.

Yeah MQA is a dodo - and the honour equity is definitely negative.

43 minutes ago, Archimago said:

It is interesting isn't it seeing the lack of news about MQA over the last few days at places like: Stereophile, The Absolute Sound, HiFi+Darko Audio (usually happy to post any little press release), Twittering Machines, Positive Feedback... Maybe they'll say something ahead; would be even more fascinating if they say nothing at all because I'm sure posting on this topic would attract eyeballs on the page which is what they're all hoping to get, right? Maybe they're just off on Easter holiday.

Yes!

I think we'll see them come over one by one rather than publication by publication.

Just now, Currawong said:

I wonder why, given how much Universal and Warner were willing to put into it, why one of them hasn't just bought MQA, even before the announcement. The only reason I can think of is that the IP is worthless -- that beyond the folding tech and filtering, they were only doing a bit of compression or EQ on music, or not much beyond that. 

Yep

It's like when you give up smoking (or pick your vice). When you really let go - when it's really all over ... your head stops playing tricks with you - quits with the lies (it's just another $10 per pack - one won't hurt).

Now that the music and equipment lockdown is dust, what's the use in pretending?