IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

MQA/Bob isn't stupid, calling it a second unfold is brilliant it's the only way to sell it to audiophiles, if they said first unfold second upsample it would be blatantly obvious it was lossless and steer the fools away.

If you say it enough the magazine reviewers will believe it.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

1 hour ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

I would have to say choice of filters might be important to some, but the issue which bothers me is MQA might replace the nice 24/96, 24/192 and DSD downloads we can get now, if the labels have their way.  It's debatable as to whether MQA is better than 24/48 as it is.

And then possible replace them with MQA 2.0 of the same master.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I wonder if it’s now too late for Apple to squash MQA, would the labels allow them to stream and sell true lossless at this point?

Tidal is really irrelevant in the big picture.

12 minutes ago, Fair Hedon said:

I am guessing Apple sees MQA as a knat not even worth batting an eyelash over.

Let’s hope so.  If they do the unthinkable it’s lights out and MQA rules all.  They recently added Flac support for some reason.

11 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Sorry, my shorthand for HDMusicStreaming.  The Cheskys are about to launch an all-MQA streaming site.

These one off MQA streaming sites mean nothing in the big picture.

Just now, Sonicularity said:

Are you making any reasonable attempts to isolate your ears by removing the abundance of bias that is already very well known to exist with human hearing?   Also, when you are evaluating, do you consider precisely matching volume levels and ensuring that identical sources are used, when applicable?

I thought it was common knowledge that persons with the financial means to buy expensive systems that are "Extremely Resolving" are not susceptible to bias.

11 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

As we both know from Hoffman, "your system's not resolving enough" is the go-to retort to those claiming not to hear a difference that the audiophile elite swear by.  Here, @GUTB has simplified this to, "your system sucks".  Same sentiment.

I've heard some of these "resolving systems".  I'm not going to lie, MQA filtering might actually make them somewhat more tolerable to listen to.

17 minutes ago, Norton said:

In that case, how about a MQA listening report?

Do we really need another one of those?  People are quite capable of making up their own mind and shouldn't need reports from other people.

I'd like to see a report on the business of MQA, what the labels want from MQA and the implications on the consumer. What are the possible futures of music distribution with and without MQA.

Edit:  And to add, from someone else than Lee.

23 minutes ago, Confused said:

Reading all this I keep remembering that word.....

Elegant.

Does it make you all warm and fuzzy inside thinking about how Devialet will implement it, if they do? :P

1 minute ago, ARQuint said:

Elegant, it ain't. But I maintain that MQA will not be of critical importance to the majority of A10 purchasers—the product has so much else going for it, no matter how you feel about MQA. They'll either leave the filter off all the time or—if they conclude, as Aurender maintains, that the filter helps non-MQA content—leave it on.

I guess if someone likes the kool-aid they’ll drink it all the time.

4 minutes ago, russellbobby said:

As a A10 owner I can attest it runs as designed   You can choose to upsample if you like. Naturally a MQA file will override any filter settings to MQA proprietary settings. 

Now you are saying the opposite of @ARQuint

Obviously Lee has ran out of names to drop and can only support one forum now.

His latest posts are trying to straighten out everyone on the downsampling upsampling "myth".  To his knowledge the second unfold is recovering content > 96kHz and there is no downsampling on MQA creation.

9 hours ago, esldude said:

So what does Lee have to say now that Bob has said up to 17 bits of resolution?

On the Hoffman forums he believes 17 bits is taken out of context because Stereophile said 23 bits in some past article.

20 minutes ago, esldude said:

I have run completely out of patience with Stuart answering questions.  He has let sites like this one post questions, and he has answered them.  But he has been evasive and not at all forthcoming on most of the common questions.  Done so repeatedly and it has definitely been intentional.  He clearly has no intent of being transparent about MQA or answering those questions.  He is the fellow who could easily have cleared up most of the same questions at the very beginning and he did not wish to do so. 

If he answered the questions honestly it would turn off more potential users, reducing the chance of it taking hold and him making allot of money from licensing.  It's no coincidence that most MQA QA events have been cancelled recently, he knows the public other than Lee are catching on and might ask questions he doesn't want to answer.