IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 9/23/2019 at 11:04 AM, elan120 said:

I know I also want to add JSSG360 treatment to these cables, meanwhile, the recent learning from different configurations in using Lush^2 USB cables, I decided to experiment by adding a third layer of shield to make it JSSG360^3 and see how that will work.

I have ordered some more braided tinned copper sleeve because I want to try a 3rd layer on my USB and Ethernet cable to my endpoint NUC.... just confirming that you had all 3 layers of shield connected at both ends and each shield separated by a layer of insulation... with nothing connected to ground?

49 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Yes, confirmed.  Please see pictures below as reference.  Looking forward to your impression when you are done.

First two layer shields connected together without connected to ground:

1926573492_20190813_175111-Shieldimpedancecheck.thumb.jpg.efe5657142149be9683eef1d23e2166d.jpg

I left about 6mm of section exposed (Red Circles) without heat shrink tubing to connect to the third layer shield:JSSC360-Inked.thumb.jpg.005a5b5aac065c2212f49487b589cba7.jpg

Third layer added:

20190921_163506.thumb.jpg.316c1a90e61f73e7fa72d7bb39f35b12.jpg

Excellent! 😁👍 Thanks heaps for this... I hope to have my USB cable completed with this 3rd layer in a couple of weeks... I will post my impressions when done and then complete my Ethernet cable 😁👍

2 hours ago, luisma said:

Not trying to advertise here but results with lush^2 kind of show full 3 layer jssg360 wouldn't be the best config although close, maybe you can leave yourself open to options with a redo static jssg360 3 layer? Just saying, you can take a advantage of the results and do your own testing. Personally I got lush^2 

When you say a "static jssg360 3 layer", do you mean not connected to the underlying first 2 layers at all? Or do you mean like the TANF configuration in the lush^2 thread, which is as best I can tell, a jssg360 with a 3rd layer only connected to the first 2 layers at the output end? 

1 hour ago, ray-dude said:

It would be very interesting to see if JSSG360^4 config (a 4th layer) gives even more benefit.  With my Lush^2's, I preferred the full JSSG360^3 config to the TANF config (by a smidge), but I was very impressed with both configs.

Interesting... I will probably have enough braid left over to try a 4th on my USB cable at least... I have just finished my Ethernet cable and the improvement seems even greater than the USB cable 🧐... I certainly wasn't expecting that

Experiments with a 4th layer

As per @ray-dude suggestion I have been experimenting with a 4th layer. 

I have tried a 4th layer that formed a new jssg360 but connected to the first at one end.... This sounded too quiet and lost some of the magic after hours of listening I decided to try the fourth layer as a double TANF... This was better but there was something about it that just wasn't right... It felt like it was a bit muffled and it was having some kind of negative impact so today I have rejigged it to be 2 individual jssg360s, one underlying jssg360 unconnected to the top jssg360 and right away I knew this was a keeper all the magic of jssg360 is back and I hardly had to listen much to know that I don't want to experiment with any other configurations.

This one is a keeper and I will want to change my other cables to have this configuration... I think we should call it jssg360x2👍😉

I have only been able to listen for a short while and I have to go away for a week now but I can say that this configuration of 2 independent jssg360 over the top of each other is very very good. I have that feeling that I got when I did the original jssg360... That deathly quiet background and the music just has more space to breath and the dynamics increase and the individual sounds get further apart... This is significantly better than just one jssg360. I won't be able to listen again for a week but when I get back I will definitely be doing more cables with this configuration 👍😁...

30 minutes ago, elan120 said:

This JSSG360x2 is quite interesting and I decided to give it a try with the materials just arrived to one of my Lush^2 cable.  So far, with about an hour of playing time, it is clear that I have my new favorite.  Now I am going to modify my other Lush^2 cable to this configuration (A: Y-W,  B: R-B).

Here is a picture of my modified Lush^2:

20191011_123217.thumb.jpg.32e6ac920be22428b7d978e690c6ca7f.jpg

Awesome! My next step is to try this jssg360x2 on my ethernet cable 😁👍

2 hours ago, rickca said:

I've actually been considering flat ethernet cables for the EtherREGEN to keep it from moving around.  Congratulations on some really good experimentation.

If some of your smaller components have a tendency to move around then grab some $5 1kg door stoppers and show those pesky fat cables who's boss. They're also a great conversation starter 🤣IMAG0360.thumb.jpg.dc0404e1643e9b8dc4eacda5ffb08777.jpg

This is an old pic of my system before the days of NUC. If you zoom in you can see the only thing I have in contact with the component chassis are very thin vibration dampening discs👍.  

34 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

Perhaps you can try these too:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/product/~product_id=MP-2E

Great reviews for isolating vibration from audiophiles. Now I am testing them.

Interesting product. I'd be interested to read the results of your testing.

IMAG0254.thumb.jpg.dc269cbdcf18dfcc7131b5521b2dd3c7.jpg

These are the ones I'm using and I think they work really well but I've never compared them to any other vibration dampening product. Vibration dampening can be a tricky thing because for some reason if something is over damped then the sound can become muffled and too much bloated bass... I've experimented with it a couple of times... For example if you damp the transformer in your amplifier too much then the sound will become muffled with bloated bass... But just the right amount will give a more refined and sweeter treble with tighter bass. I have a feeling it's got something to do with damping the different frequencies evenly. 🤔

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, austinpop said:

G’day @Bricki

Exciting report! I received my non-ECC Apacer DIMMs from @Nenon’s group buy for my server a few days ago, but have not had the time to do the swap.

Now I’m motivated! 

I suppose the level of improvement will depend on what you start out with and maybe the Kingston RAM I had was particularly poor 😅

14 minutes ago, Miska said:

Have you checked who's RAM chips the Apacer is using? Not revealed due to the sticker on that side, but on the other side it should be visible?

Your previous Kingston seems to have Micron chips (who also sells memory modules under their own Crucial brand).

IMG_20191118_185318.thumb.jpg.4cf309146a7aac0431e01a1f93005121.jpg

These are the chips on the Apacer RAM... I think they are Samsung but I don't know for sure

2 hours ago, luisma said:

Currently have this NUC7i7BNH, on specs doesn't support ECC ram so I guess ECC could be ruled out, anyone using a ram chip which makes a difference in sound with industrial specs non-ECC?

Yes, the RAM in my comparison is non ECC... All Intel "i" series and lower processors do not support ECC... Xeon does and I think most AMD processors do as well.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, austinpop said:

Apacer Industrial non-ECC DIMM update

Well - color me impressed. This replaced a HyperX Fury 8GB DIMM, and I had just listened to a test track before powering down the server and swapping DIMMs. Forget burn-in - the improvement is evident in the first note. There is a weight and richness to the music that just wasn't there before. Wow. I'm assuming this only gets better.

Yes, I found that things improved further and settled down after a week or so. 👍

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

FYI - here's something new for 100 bucks that could work with either DXP-1A5S or DXP-1A5DSC

https://fccid.io/RR-iFi-iPower-X-001

https://fccid.io/RR-iFi-iPower-X-002

https://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=438876

https://www.facebook.com/sk.storehk/posts/2537748199816889

https://www.hkepc.com/forum/viewthread.php?fid=124&tid=2539565

AwtGVgI.jpg

upK2EKv.jpg

For instance, get the 15V iPower X and DXP-1A5DSC for something that needs a double-regulated 12V / 1.5A rail so that we'll have 15V → 13.5V → 12V

12V iPower X → 10.5V → 9V

9V iPower X → 7V → 5V

It's somewhere between the price tag of POWERADD PP2 & PP5 (i.e. $89.99 & $105.99 respectively)

https://www.amazon.com/POWERADD-Pilot-23000mAh-External-Smartphones/dp/B015OAJFOC

https://www.amazon.com/POWERADD-Delivery-30000mAh-Smartphones-Chromebook/dp/B07WVTKTYD

According to @str-1 both PP2 & PP5 should sound the same

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-m-scaler-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.885042/page-657#post-15387361

Just another option for those of us who might find it somewhat difficult to get PP2 & PP5 because of issues related to shipping batteries etc.

I can't seem to find any info on how the ifi ipower x differs from the original ipower... Doesn't seem to be listed on their website yet.

Do you have any more info other than the price?

15 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

I didn't link to iPower X since it's still password-protected at the moment

https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipower-2/

Previous gen could only deliver up to 18W while the latest ones could reach as high as 24W depending on the voltage. And then previous ones would have some kinda claims like "Up to 10x quieter than the original iFi Ultra-Low Noise AC/DC Adapter" printed on the side of the box while it should be changed to 20x this time. Though not exactly sure if that were just theoretical number or something

qn9ipuJl.jpg

And then I didn't mention this clip below since it's only available in Cantonese without English subtitles, the part about iPower X should begin around the 11:30 mark

https://www.facebook.com/CASWorkshopHK/videos/911580552594520

Basically they're asking for $100 while we'll get fewer accessories in return, different removable plugs for multiple countries used to be part of the package deal while there's only one plug now. And then most likely we won't be able to reuse those plugs from previous generation. The adapters for DC connectors are still included, though.

Awesome info 👍 thanks 😁

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, lmitche said:

I think the ER is best between the router and the server where it eliminates the cable and router born grunge. A side to router, B side to server if copper. Reversed for fiber of course.

Interesting, so your endpoint is not directly connected to the Etheregen? 🤔.

I will have to give this a try when I get a chance

On 2/16/2020 at 10:29 AM, lmitche said:

My hardware config is likely to be unique, so YMMV. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks again Larry for sharing your experiments, I have finally had a chance to spend several hours trying out your recent suggestions.

I got myself a TP Link UE300 with the realtek 8153 chipset and I decided to go for your full suggestion of putting the server on the b side of the Etheregen feeding into the RJ45 port of the server and then bridge one USB NIC on the server to another USB NIC (UE 300) on the endpoint NUC, joined with the cable matters cat 8. I changed this connection speed to 100Mbps because in my system I found 1Gbps too glassy in the treble. On the A side of the Etheregen I only have a Supra cat8 going to my router... I have also turned off 5Ghz WiFi on the router for a small gain (less glassy treble). 

I have been using this configuration for several hours now and so far I'm liking what I'm hearing. I think that there are some gains from having the server on the b side further separated from the router... I am hearing more ambient cues and decay on some tracks and small background details that simply weren't there before. 

The addition of the Etheregen in my system really made music incredibly enjoyable and engaging, so I'll see how I like this new configuration over the next week and if I don't feel as engaged with the music as I did before then I might revert back to just the endpoint on the B side again to compare, but for now I'm saying that your configuration is a success in my system 😁👍

• 1 month later...