IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

4 hours ago, MrUnderhill said:

A few notes on where I am up to:...

This really is putting the cat amongst the pigeons!

Thanks M, I was wondering how you are getting on :)

I'm also still running mine in and experimenting while waiting for 5.5/2.5 plugs so I can power with a PH SR4 at 12v. I will report more later when fully assessed.

I have to say that this setup has moved the goal posts for me by quite a margin already in the best possible way.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

3 hours ago, Dev said:

I had the Bridge-1 and indeed found the USB sounds better when the card is removed. The DS even sounds better with the I2S input if you take the trouble of getting a DDC along with quality psu - another device in the chain in the name of SQ ?

I can't wait to load their new firmware snowmass....

Agree @dev about the I2S input to PS audio DACs. I’ve found it better generally than the USB that’s why I built my DIY I2S streamer. However now I’m back to usb again with the NUC and finding it superb.  You never know where this journey is going next.

Down the line I’ll be looking out how to tap I2S from an NUC. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

On 11/6/2018 at 8:45 PM, Dev said:

I will report back whenever its released.

its out.. :0. who says OS change don't make a difference...

"Ted Smith has done it again. A major breakthrough in the art of digital audio. Over this weekend we have been beta testing our newest operating system for our DirectStream DAC, Snowmass, and the reviews are flooding in:

“listening and it is scary – black background with delicate sounds, then the sax… this sound stage is just unbelievable! That track is like velvet textures on a very smooth and dark background. Man is the background black!”

https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/listening-is-scary/#comment-94814

21 minutes ago, Blake said:

Thanks for posting your feedback.  One follow-up question- are you hearing more detail, or the same amount of detail, just presented in a more relaxed manner?

You are welcome...there is more detail for sure, more nuances. What I find most striking is how details make spaces around musicians tangible and the sense of the room where recordings have been made is there. I imagine this is due to the rendering of subtle reflections. I can only describe this as more emotionally satisfying - not just sterile detail

11 hours ago, lmitche said:

Patrick,

Your description is terrific. I'm really enjoying live recordings as well, feeling like I'm in the room. There is a natural feeling to the sound that is just spine tingling. I'm having a tough time turning the system off.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Larry

P.S. Checkout either one or both of the Cowboy Junkies live Trinity and Trinity Revisited Sessions on the NUC. Just fantastic!

many thanks Larry, I'll check out the Cowboy Junkies tonight.

With live music, to have the venue come more to life at home is indeed a revelation especially with something like Van Morrisons classic live album 'It's too late to stop now' ..

I always want to get closer to music, to the soul of the musician, for me it's purely emotional. So (probably like you) I'm staying up way too late these days as the NUC setup is so fabulous. 

12 hours ago, Middy said:

My case coming tomorrow, cheers for the tip. Did you remove the WIFI card as you dont need it( just a thought) if that adds anything even turned off??

Any tips for assembly let us know.

Hopefully Ted at PS new snowmass is the icing on the cake and happy

christ-snow-mass for you mate.

The audio elves are busy this year..

Thanks

Dave.

Hi Dave, I didn't remove the wifi card just switched off in Bios, but that might be a good idea to remove.

The most difficult part I found was getting the motherboard out of the old case. Once you have taken out the holding screws and disconnected the cables, it's necessary to pull the sides of the chassis out slightly so that the plugs etc can clear the chassis in order to slide out. The video posted further back in the thread is excellent help. Also make sure to use gloves and/or grounding strap.

Yes it certainly seems like Xmas has come early..:)

15 hours ago, Blake said:

..are you hearing more detail, or the same amount of detail, just presented in a more relaxed manner?

to be more precise, yes more detail and more relaxed..

13 minutes ago, Monge said:

Thanks for your report. Great ?

May I ask you, what’s your source? Rooonserver?

I have an Antipodes DXe server as my Roon server and streaming Tidal

Cheers

11 hours ago, Middy said:

Just got the Akasa chassis for the NUC. Celeron

If you Tapatrick or others are inclined or bothered! the Block isnt very good. Its just fly cutter milled roughly. Rub a nail across it. Just google 'Lapping a cpu heatsink'. A good CPU heat sink is like glass. + flat.

This makes it flatter for more surface area to transfer heat. Have a look, not that hard.

Remove the cheap silicone grease and apply a carbon TIM like Artic mx4 . 'Non conductive' if you make a mistake.

Screw back in lightly diagonal and tighten for even pressure.

I won't do a guide, IT guys here know over clocking. But simple techniques make the case earn its money. Especially + celeron/pentium chips like i3 i5.  

No over clocking but a cooler cpu. GFX

All fun and something else too play with.

Flat is better than super smooth.

Food for thought !!and should help keep it cooler.

Dave

good info Dave, thanks.

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

There are so many things that I don't understand

There's a world within in me that I cannot explain

Many rooms to explore but the doors look the same

I am lost I can't even remember my name...

:D

love it! :) 

8 hours ago, Johnseye said:

This is the same experience I had.  It's good to get confirmation and validation from others that I'm not crazy. :)

Thanks!

Me too!

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

....."are you sure you're not just hearing what Rob Watts calls RF noise?"....

I'm sure 'I'm not just hearing what Rob Watts calls RF noise' because everything is bigger, better, fuller.... what else can folks say here to get others to try and find out for themselves... :) but I could be deluded...

9 minutes ago, Narcissus said:

Would be interesting to know if the Akasa Newton JC chassis indeed makes a difference. Perhaps Larry & Patrick could chime in..

Yes I found it makes a significant difference and definitely worth doing. 

Interesting that using my MacBook Pro as AL roonserver booting in Ram (it’s only a temporary solution for now), the extreme mode sounds worse (relatively) that BFQ mode in RAM. This is because the fan goes crazy in extreme mode and I assume adds a lot of noise. Therefore getting the fan and hard drives out of the equation is essential. 

See @Middy input on concerns about quality of heat sinks in some Fanless cases. 

9 hours ago, MrUnderhill said:

The sound quality is brilliant.... better than dCS I think... 

?

Thanks M! A statement to make audiophiles sit up and pay attention. The DCS is a $4000 endpoint I believe..

3 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Lemitche said he didnt try different hardware and that different hardware may work just as good...

Why don't you try it out on what you have at hand and report back to add to the knowledge base shared here...

3 minutes ago, Forehaven said:

Oh No!! ;))  Does this quad core NUC Larry use the same Akasa case as the dual core?

NUC7CJYH and NUC7CJYH use the same Akasha fanless case

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa-newton-jc-fanless-low-profile-case-8th-generation-intel-nuc-june-canyon-25-hdd-ssd
Compatible with the following Intel® NUC Boards:
NUC7CJYH / NUC7PJYH / NUC7PJYB

19 minutes ago, Soma said:

Thank you @tapatrickand @lmitche

I have attached screenshot of Roon and HQP setting. Roon server is in NAS and HQP desktop is in AL. Backend of HQP is NAA, device is ultraRendu. This setting is not optimum. Anyway, I guess I will try NUC as endpoint and report back. 

SmartSelect_20181124-205139_Roon.jpg

SmartSelect_20181124-205023_NoMachine.jpg

Thanks @Soma I misunderstood your setup and see you are not using your MBPro as an endpoint.

16 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

LoL I bought the celeron NUC a while back for £125, now the same supplier Scan has put the price up to £199. Great black Friday deals - Not. :)

yep.. thats how algorithms work when there is a run on something!