IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi,

I would like to share my listening experience with the Buffalo BS-GS2016-EU with you. For me, the Buffalo 2016 has been in continuous operation for more than 21 days. I initially ran the Buffalo with the built-in power supply for a few days and then built it into my chain. Nice deep bass was the first sentence that I wrote down. After a while I converted the Buffalo to my power supply. The sound corresponds exactly to the SR 7 (Dual Voltage: Series No. 28). I had bought it a few days ago from Garvin (here from the forum) and can now say by comparing it that my power supplies, which I have developed for my own use for 6 years, cannot be distinguished acoustically from the SR7. In my entire chain, I now have a good 30 power supplies that correspond in terms of sound to an SR7. In the DAC  its e.g. 11 individual power supplies.

About my current setup of the downstream route:

Fritzbox Router (SR7 Equal)> Switch –1 (SR7 Equal)> Sonore OM modules (SR7 Equal)> Finisar or Planet SFP> LC Dual single> Finisar or Planet SFP> Sonore OM modules (SR7 Equal)>( Etherregen) > Switch 2> Endpoint: Mini PC (2x SR7 Equal –Clock and computer) or Intel NUC 7i7DNHE (1x SR7 Equal)

Software Euphony and Daphile

I have noticed differences between the Planet SFP with 20km and the Finisar FTRJ-8519-7N-2.5 that are hardly noticeable.

I built a D-Link DGS 108 with a reference clock, clock and 3.3V and 5V of the switch were equipped with the same power supply (SR7 Equal). This switch is my main comparison to the Buffalo. I now have position 1 and position 2, which I can fill in my chain with the Buffalo or the modified D-Link. After more than 14 days of playing time, the sound of Buffalo is still nervous. The bass is good - but the overall sound looks torn in direct comparison. The modified Switch is completely different. D-Link: everything plays conclusively and without any hardship. To solidify this impression, I also operated the Buffalo directly with the SR 7.

In my chain, I can only operate the Buffalo at position Switch 1, but not at Switch 2. When the buffalo sits right in front of the endpoint, resolution, dynamics, musical flair are missing. I had my setup and my observations checked by my craft buddy who has a comparable chain. He compared the Cisco SG200-8 (without p - for PoE) with my power supply unit at the Switch 2 position with the Buffalo. Both can use the same high quality 12V power supply.

My recommendation: the Buffalo is worth the money! It brings an improvement in the downstream. I would use it at a starting point (for example in „switch position 1“) - but not connected to the end point, because it is compared to similarly upgraded (modified) switches such as e.g. the Cisco SG200 does not match their tonal performance.

So there are some alternatives in the area of switches. Next I will provide the Buffalo with a Neutron Star reference clock.

Happy listening

Sunny

p.s. i hope me and Google translate make it able to understand. english is not my native language.

I don't write so much about power supplies to offer them here. You should only have an idea at which level I am listening to Music.

Hello Paul,

thank you for your message and assessment. In essence, I wasn't interested in a power supply

comparison. The Buffalo was the topic. I am sorry to be off topic again.

Such a comparison would be a little briefly described as "comparable" or "equal". The new power

supplies that I am building today are also better than the ones that I am building built e.g. 4 years

ago. They are also significantly more powerful. A lot has happened and a lot will happen.

Since your SR 7 is known as a reference and is rightly regarded and recognized as a high quality power supply - I also own it and therefore do not tell about something that does not exist or that is only known from hearsay. Providing my power supply as a reference for the observation is of little use.

With the reference to your power supply (even if older date) others have a benchmark.

So that you can exclude the power supply as the cause of what I noticed about the Buffalo.

With the different power supplies that I tried on the Buffalo, the same observations always occurred

that made the power supply seem unlikely as a possible cause. After the the next Step in Buffalo tuning - the clock-mod. i can tell if that was the thing that makes ist sound like it did in my chain.

Happy listening

Sunny

Hi, if you tweak your buffalo with high quality copper, why don't you add a 1.000uF Capacitor e.g direct to the board. Its nearly nonsense to place the last capacitor inside of the external psu and that means too far away from the place where it is needed. The distance capacitor to load should be as short as possible. Use the type, that your psu uses too, to prevent tonal differences.

Regards

Sunny

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
11 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

Please do , it seems very interesting!

Hi, pls give me some Days. I need to build one  for an friend, and i am going to make some Picture while buildung. due to the fact, that english is not my native language ...i need a few days and a lot help from Google translate. hope that it might be fluid enought.

regards sunny

for your preperation, you can have a look at Fujitsu Futro S900 Thin Client - G-T44R

51 minutes ago, austinpop said:

This is very interesting I’m sure, but just a gentle reminder this needs to very quickly get back on topic of direct listening impressions.

If this is a product you’re making, it would be helpful to start a thread of its own to discuss the details.

Hello Austinpop,

ok, then pls delete my postings from today, i am going to open an thread for this Topic.

regards

Sunny

• 2 months later...

TX-USB Ultra:

if you want an real Clock update for the reclocker, forget the Masterclock-Option.

I did a modification last Month. Instead of using a dedicated 10Mhz-external reference Clock, i ignore the sCLK-EX Board, and use the Cable from sCLK Clock Signal Output and connect it to a reference 12MHz-Clock(50ohm). Technicaly its the better solution. The sCLK do not need to transform the 10MHz into 12Mhz that is used by the USB-Reclocking-Section. The result is a  cleaner and more dynamic  Sound than possible with a external 10MHz-Clock Input.

happy listening

Sunny