IGNORED

William Lowe of Audioquest places both feet in his mouth

plissken

Cable manufacturers have to justify the price of their products, most have websites that do this. Some more expensive ones for example use silver instead of copper, solid silver connecters instead of gold plated ones, superior insulation, etc. These things may or may not make a difference, I will never know as I’m not rich. Who in their right mind would buy anything just because it costs more?

Lot's actually. More to the understandable point, what owner of a 6 figure HiFi wants to have very plain looking BJCables or their like, lying around. The purchase of technically correct expensive looking boutique cables is just fine and can't be criticized on it's own. It's only when either the manufacturer of said cables or their owners start to add some magical SQ properties to the mystic design that the truth of such claims becomes important. Pay all you want to have attractive, eye catching cables in your system. Just don't make big claims of superior SQ without supportable evidence to back that up.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

How did you come to understand Basic Electrical Theory ?

By "hot wiring" cars ?

A good place to start, no? LOL

Haven't I warned you before that in a battle of wit, you've arrived unarmed. :)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

AudioQuest founder and chief designer' date=' William E. Low, answers three thought-provoking questions posed by the German publication, Fidelity Magazine.[/font']

Yo Bill.

What's that on the shelves behind you? Maybe AQ has redesigned/improved the original VPI Magic Bricks?

A good place to start, no? LOL

Haven't I warned you before that in a battle of wit, you've arrived unarmed. :)

Yes, it's hard to compete with a nitwit ! You have more than a head start.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Yes, it's hard to compete with a nitwit ! You have more than a head start.

Ohhhhhh, that was a good one. LOL

AudioQuest founder and chief designer' date=' William E. Low, answers three thought-provoking questions posed by the German publication, Fidelity Magazine.[/font']

Wow, that guy is full of crap, and pretty damn cheesy too. Even if his cables did what is claimed, I would never by anything from a salesman like that.

Wilhelm thanks for the very informative video, I enjoyed it. This one is also very good.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

No disrespect meant but have you considered it may be your physical condition or the meds your taking affecting what your hear or your perception of what you hear? I could accept that explanation from you.

For @17629v2 unfortunately there's no excuse that I'm aware of. LOL

I find your statement about poster 17629v2 very offensive, so far I have agreed with all of 17629v2's posts. On the other hand, I seldom agree with any of your posts as you seem to be on the wrong side of every issue you comment on with the exception of you liking David Manley's ViTaL Records which I love as well. But your other issues, sorry no way.

I don't think my condition or my meds have effected my enjoyment of music. When my music doesn’t sound right or sounds unpleasant, if I find the problem I fix it so I can enjoy my music, if I can't find the problem I do something else such as watching HDTV or a movie and try music again the next day.

During the summer sometimes when it is really hot, music doesn't sound so good and in that case I believe it is the overpowering the power grid with everyones air conditioner on. There also could be other issues besides something going awry with my stereo. The only thing I can do is check everything I can think of so I can enjoy music that day.

On the other hand if it sounds great I'm likely to listen to music for many, many happy hours. As I tried to explain to Plissken I don't try to fix something that isn't broke.

I have inexpensive cables because I am poor, if I were rich I would likely try more expensive better sounding cables. I’m not so insecure that I have to attack better sounding systems as some objectivists love to do. I know I don’t have the best, I have the best that I could find within my budget that makes music enjoyable to me.

I don't comment on things I have not tried in my system and anyone who comments on things they have to tried in their system are suspect and to be ignored IMHO!

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

I should perhaps say this.

Do I believe cables make an audible difference? Without question - yes, they do.

Do I think it is worth buying expensive cable then? Up to a certain price point (a few hundred dollars) - yes. But beyond that, I think they offer negligible improvements and the money is better spent elsewhere.

Is it worth getting upset at people who buy expensive cable? No way. There is plenty more snake oil to get upset about. Things that actually make a difference and kill people. Examples - anti vaxxers, fad diets, the whole alternative meds thing, people who are opposed to GMO's, climate skeptics, fundamentalist religion, and so on. If you believe expensive cables make no difference, the worst that has happened is that someone has wasted their money. Nobody is dead. Nobody is starving. Nobody's health is worse off. Nobody faces financial ruin.

Getting into a cable debate is completely and utterly pointless. Look at it this way. You are worried that other people are wasting their money? Well, you are wasting your time on something which is futile and meaningless. Even if you win a cable debate, you have accomplished nothing. Why not spend your energy arguing for something that will make a difference. Go hang out in an anti-vaccine forum. Go picket outside your nearest scientology church. At least, if you convince one parent to vaccinate their child, you may have saved a life.

I buy cables that are "good enough". They look nice, they perform well, they do their job. That's good enough for me.

Well said +10.

;-)

I should perhaps say this.

Do I believe cables make an audible difference? Without question - yes, they do.

Do I think it is worth buying expensive cable then? Up to a certain price point (a few hundred dollars) - yes. But beyond that, I think they offer negligible improvements and the money is better spent elsewhere.

Is it worth getting upset at people who buy expensive cable? No way. There is plenty more snake oil to get upset about. Things that actually make a difference and kill people. Examples - anti vaxxers, fad diets, the whole alternative meds thing, people who are opposed to GMO's, climate skeptics, fundamentalist religion, and so on. If you believe expensive cables make no difference, the worst that has happened is that someone has wasted their money. Nobody is dead. Nobody is starving. Nobody's health is worse off. Nobody faces financial ruin.

Getting into a cable debate is completely and utterly pointless. Look at it this way. You are worried that other people are wasting their money? Well, you are wasting your time on something which is futile and meaningless. Even if you win a cable debate, you have accomplished nothing. Why not spend your energy arguing for something that will make a difference. Go hang out in an anti-vaccine forum. Go picket outside your nearest scientology church. At least, if you convince one parent to vaccinate their child, you may have saved a life.

I buy cables that are "good enough". They look nice, they perform well, they do their job. That's good enough for me.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Is it worth getting upset at people who buy expensive cable? No way.

There is plenty more snake oil to get upset about. Things that actually make a difference and kill people. Examples - fad diets, the whole alternative meds thing, people who are opposed to GMO's.

Getting into a cable debate is completely and utterly pointless.

For me, definitely not worth getting upset over, but I am a total non believer in regards to cables making a significant difference. I'm just not gonna argue because I don't care that much about somebody else's money or stereo system.

I do actually find a parallel to the alternative medicine/ non gmo crowd and cable believers. They both claim to be highly tuned & highly sensitive and claim to experience things that are beyond any scientific evidence or the rest of us. There is a bit of smugness (as demonstrated in the video above).

I do feel the burden of proof should be on the ones making the extrodinary claims. Why the need to make the undemonstratable or provable claims in the first place? They're are a ton of unprovable things I believe, but I don't go around trying to argue without evidence.

Generally the people who state cable preferences state it as if the rest of us have terrible ears and theirs are special, they seem to completely dismiss confirmation bias, powers of suggestion or any possibility of their brain fooling them. These things are scientifically proven.

I have been amongst very experienced audiophiles that had tremendously trained ears and heard things immediately that took me a while to hear, so I'm not completely dismissive of good listeners.

Most of the things discussed on internet forums are not super meaningful. I mean we're usually discussing are silly hobbies. :)

Us? Didn't you just register here last month?

The username looks VERY similar to a previous user name .

Is this the better behaved version ? (grin)

( I could be wrong though.)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

The username looks VERY similar to a previous user name .

Is this the better behaved version ? (grin)

( I could be wrong though.)

Could well be :) My sincere apologies, it's awfully late here.

Silent Win10 Music Server -> Roon -> HQP -> Singxer SU-1 -> Holo Audio Spring -> ECP L2 -> HD800 / Grado HP2i / HE-1000 / JH 13

I apologize in advance for my brief off topic question: What are the green and red banners mean?

If you get a couple of likes it turns green. If you get a couple of dislikes it turns red.

Haven't paid enough attention to know if you get both likes and dislikes it subtracts one from the other before assigning a banner color.

If you wish why not experiment with this post. 2 of you like it first to turn it green. Then 4 of you dislike it and see if it turns red.

EDIT to add: looking back at some posts. It appears once a post turns green it won't turn back red even if more people later dislike it than liked it. So a glitch in the matrix or something there. ;)

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I'm not upset at people who buy expensive cable. I'm upset at people who sell it.

Right on.

Some of the "marketing" copy is beyond the pale. But I defend anyone who wants to try expensive cable. Go for it, especially if it matches your carpet or wall color!!

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

If you get a couple of likes it turns green. If you get a couple of dislikes it turns red.

Haven't paid enough attention to know if you get both likes and dislikes it subtracts one from the other before assigning a banner color.

If you wish why not experiment with this post. 2 of you like it first to turn it green. Then 4 of you dislike it and see if it turns red.

Well crap. No one likes my posts. I think Chris should ban the banners. My university profs. say that the banners are hate speach. I need a safe place where I can be with my co-deplorables.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Well crap. No one likes my posts. I think Chris should ban the banners. My university profs. say that the banners are hate speach. I need a safe place where I can be with my co-deplorables.

Well there is a bias toward banners going green. If you use tapatalk to post, you can only like a post, but you don't have the dislike option. You also can thank for a post in tapatalk and thru a browser.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Well there is a bias toward banners going green. If you use tapatalk to post, you can only like a post, but you don't have the dislike option. You also can thank for a post in tapatalk and thru a browser.

Never really understood why there's a Thanks and a Like. Kind of the same thing no?