IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

8 hours ago, CatManDo said:

Can you play the SACD layer on hybrid discs, by switching manually to it?

SHM-SACDs are single layer, so the player can only play (and rip) the SACD part, but with hybrids you can choose the layer.

My BDP-170 managed to rip hundreds of hybrid SACDs, but with a few discs, I needed to open/close the tray a few times before the player finally recognized it as an SACD and not a CD.

Failing to read hybrid SACDs is also a common problem of many SACD players (related to the laser), so it could be that your player has a hardware problem.

No. The front display always says CD, no matter how many times I eject, reinsert the tray. Pressing that CD/SACD button on the remote does nothing.

So... I have a dud?

On 10/3/2019 at 3:28 PM, lordvader said:

No. The front display always says CD, no matter how many times I eject, reinsert the tray. Pressing that CD/SACD button on the remote does nothing.

So... I have a dud?

Most likely. When the laser to laser goes bad in SACD players the usual symptom is it can't read the SACD layer on discs that play fine in other players. Although in theory the laser is replaceable.

• 3 weeks later...

use terminal ;)

- create, on your Mac, a folder where you want your rips to end up

- place "sacd_extract" (the very same file that's on the USB stick) inside it

- launch Terminal, type "cd /Users/paolo/Music/SACD_rips" and hit "enter"

(modify accordingly to your username and to where your folder is. mine is called "SACD_rips" and it's inside "Music"

- then tipe "./sacd_extract -i 10.0.1.43:2002 -I" (use your Oppo's IP instead of 10.0.1.43) and hit enter if you want to rip to ISO or...

- type "./sacd_extract -i 10.0.1.43:2002 -2 -s" and hit enter if you want to rip to DSF

- job done! :)

I never bothered installing java nor even just touching iso2DSD 😛

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

21 hours ago, pl_svn said:

use terminal ;)

- create, on your Mac, a folder where you want your rips to end up

- place "sacd_extract" (the very same file that's on the USB stick) inside it

- launch Terminal, type "cd /Users/paolo/Music/SACD_rips" and hit "enter"

(modify accordingly to your username and to where your folder is. mine is called "SACD_rips" and it's inside "Music"

- then tipe "./sacd_extract -i 10.0.1.43:2002 -I" (use your Oppo's IP instead of 10.0.1.43) and hit enter if you want to rip to ISO or...

- type "./sacd_extract -i 10.0.1.43:2002 -2 -s" and hit enter if you want to rip to DSF

- job done! :)

I never bothered installing java nor even just touching iso2DSD 😛

I try to make it work but sacd_extract is refused by terminal.

please post a screenshot of the folder with its content and one of the Terminal window with the commands you typed and resulting error

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

1 hour ago, B&WQuad said:

I try to make it work but sacd_extract is refused by terminal.

You can make the JRE work on Catalina, probably best to uninstall the one you have and then install the latest version. There is mention of this on the Java help page:

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/using-jdk-jre-macos-catalina-5781620.html

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

On 10/31/2019 at 6:18 PM, pl_svn said:

please post a screenshot of the folder with its content and one of the Terminal window with the commands you typed and resulting error

Thanks, I solved the problem simply by pressing the CTRL button during the launch of the .jar (not to mix-up with the CMD button). Seems to solve the issue in Catalina

I just stumbled over this topic after what must be years of poking around the edges looking for an old playstation, but not quite remembering what it was I needed to remember about them. I own two SACD discs and one player, Denon 3910, and what has held me back to some extent is the inflexibility due to Sony insanity with SACD protection, preventing me from playing my content conveniently or on any device I wanted in full fidelity.

I found a Sony BDP S5100 not too far away, so it's the most likely one for me to buy after going through the March list of players showing up on ebay, but for sake of paranoia, other than the Oppo priced units, what is the best one?

Those of you who only use the player for ripping, do you leave it powered or all the way off, unplugged or switched off at the AC outlet?

Thanks for all the great information.

What is the news on new developments on ripping SACD's (like new players capable to use the Sonore software). I use my OPPO105 for a lot of things currently, but one day I will replace it. I am afraid that I have keep the OPPO 105 solely for purpose of ripping new SACD's I buy (like SACD make for Old famous albums from Japan).

7 hours ago, B&WQuad said:

What is the news on new developments on ripping SACD's (like new players capable to use the Sonore software). I use my OPPO105 for a lot of things currently, but one day I will replace it. I am afraid that I have keep the OPPO 105 solely for purpose of ripping new SACD's I buy (like SACD make for Old famous albums from Japan).

The list of compatible models was updated last spring to include 3 additional ARMv7 based Sony units.

For ripping over a network using a GUI, mindset's SACDExtractGUI tool (in conjunction with sacd_extract 3.9) has supplanted the venerable ISO2DSD as state-of-the-art, circa fall 2018.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

As an old computer software person the idea of telnetting into a modern consumer device because it runs on some incantation of Linux puts a smile on my face, and would tempt me had I fewer irons already in the fire to play with all the similar devices I could get my hands on. Is the telnet loophole firmly closed on all of the newer devices?

Today or tomorrow I hope to pick up the Sony 5100 I found locally, which is supposed to be in fine shape, but these seem for the most part average midfi gear that isn't designed for a long life. I guess time will tell.

1 hour ago, Mike6f said:

Is the telnet loophole firmly closed on all of the newer devices?

It's not just a Telnet loophole, though that was the original breakthrough. The process works without Telnet, and more recently with the advent of AutoRip, it doesn't even require a network at all, the ripped tracks can be written to the very same USB flash drive that runs the initial script.

1 hour ago, Mike6f said:

Today or tomorrow I hope to pick up the Sony 5100 I found locally, which is supposed to be in fine shape, but these seem for the most part average midfi gear that isn't designed for a long life. I guess time will tell.

Indeed, I bought several units for redundancy, though I also managed to repair a sold as dead S7200 that auctioned for all of $9.99 due to it's non-working condition. The replacement optical drive was a $14 part, and now it works fine again.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Is there any current concerns about Sony sending out new firmware, that would prevent using these various units to backup my SACD's ? Are there any settings to prevent this ?

Thanks,

Wayne

NAD M33, SGC SonicTransporter I5 GEN 3, w/ 2GB SSD drive as the storage and ROON CORE, with SGC CD Ripper,  Fiber Optic converter system, ROON.  Revel Performa 3 F208 Speakers, ROON, Grover Huffman EX speaker cables, and Bass Jumpers,  WD EX2 Red Drive NAS, Netgear Nighthawk Router, all streaming hardwired Cat6/7, no WiFi. Sony Blu-Ray for SACD backup, PS Audio Dectec to a dedicated 20 amp circuit, Custom Speaker covers, PS Audio Power, Signal Power .

They could, and they might, but I don't think its likely unless the copyright holders made a big fuss, not just Sony on its own. Even if Sony did, it would just put the Pioneer units in greater demand.

While I am not worried, I don't think I will be leaving my Sony on while not in use for ripping, or giving it access to other than specific sites on the internet, if thats reasonable.

Biggest point I would make is that having a few old systems out that can rip SACD may be good for SACD in general.

Worse case, it is a big wild internet, and somebody someplace will have ISO files.

12 hours ago, Waynefi said:

Is there any current concerns about Sony sending out new firmware, that would prevent using these various units to backup my SACD's ? Are there any settings to prevent this ?

Thanks,

Wayne

If I recall correctly, Kal Rubinson of Stereophile, spoke to Sony representatives when he first became aware that certain Oppo, Sony, and Pioneer players could rip SACD's.  They indicated to him they had no problem with users ripping their own SACD's for backup and to play on other devices such as streamers and digital music players (such as their own HAPZ-1ES).  I believe Kal posted the above somewhere earlier in this thread.

Its easy for us as DIY hobbyists to vastly underestimate the time and cost that even a tiny change to a consumer scale product could be. Sony could make the change perfectly, and due to the numbers involved some percentage will by chance croak after the update. Getting close to perfect might mean several days of a team reviewing what the old code did plus testing any change on machines they might no longer have. It could be cheaper for Sony to just buy all the old players that show up on ebay etc., or offer some kind of trade in deal on a newer player.

On 10/30/2019 at 7:29 PM, B&WQuad said:

It noticed that MAC OS Catalina 10.15.1 broke the java script from Sonore iso2dsd_gui.jar. MAC refuses to run the .jar as it can not check for malware. Any new of what to do? I use it with my OPPO 105 and it works fine until now.

I have a similar problem: The SACDExtractGUI.jar runs in Catalina, but trying to rip a SACD always gives the error message "sacd_extract doesn't exist or not executable". The newest said_extract is in the specified folder (same as SACDExtractGUI.jar), so that can't be it.