IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and just want to say Wow! and thanks for all the Guides and information in this thread.

I just managed to rip my SACDs using a Sony BDP-S490 I bought on Ebay for 40 Euro. Its amazing how easy it is, once I figured out to turn on standby-mode.

Now I have another question, and hope you don't mind me posting it here:

Is it possible to rip Bluray- and CD-Audio in a similar manner?

I know I can do it using a PC with an optical drive. The problem is I´m on an iMac and it doesn't have an optical drive. Of course I can connect an external one, but the Sony is connected to the network anyway...

18 minutes ago, SuperMani1973 said:

Is it possible to rip Bluray- and CD-Audio in a similar manner?

I know I can do it using a PC with an optical drive.

Maybe not impossible, but nobody has developed a solution for that yet, since PCs can do it so easily.

Claude

There's pretty much zero motivation for anyone to investigate doing it given the existing ways it can be done.  SACD's were a special case in that regard where the PS3 was the only option and PS3 hardware that can do it is relatively scarce and unreliable (partly due to age and partly due to the fact that gaming consoles tend to run hot).

3 hours ago, SuperMani1973 said:

Is it possible to rip Bluray...

Look into MakeMKV (dot com) - there are versions for Windows, Mac and Linux; you'll need an external Mac compatible bluray drive for the iMac.

The only issue is that it only decrypts & rips to .mkv, so you'll either need a player like vlc to watch it on the mac, or convert to another format with handbrake.

Check out DVDFab 10, available online to rip or copy Blu-rays.  It allows you to rip them to a variety of formats, depending upon your preference and which format your player/device can read.  There is a separate program for ripping DVD's, if you need that.  Also, be aware that there are two separate programs for ripping versus copying the entire Blu-ray.  The ripper copies only the movie, not the extras.  With the copy program, you can either copy the entire disc or just rip the main movie.

3 hours ago, BluRay444 said:

Look into MakeMKV (dot com) - there are versions for Windows, Mac and Linux; you'll need an external Mac compatible bluray drive for the iMac.

The only issue is that it only decrypts & rips to .mkv, so you'll either need a player like vlc to watch it on the mac, or convert to another format with handbrake.

Not true, at least in the Windows version.  MakeMKV can rip Blurays to BDMV folder structures as well.

5 hours ago, greynolds said:

Not true, at least in the Windows version.  MakeMKV can rip Blurays to BDMV folder structures as well.

Point taken; I assumed, and perhaps incorrectly, from the OP's original wording "Is it possible to rip Bluray- and CD-Audio in a similar manner?" that he wanted to extract playable files on his iMac "in a similar manner" as SACDs, since it seems (at least to me) that the majority of people here extract the SACD's as individual files (songs) rather than ISOs (I extract both). Blurays are not officially supported by Apple, and no native player exists- and I doubt they ever will, given Apple's steaming aspirations. But until the OP provides more information about his intentions, we're just guessing.

Thanks for all those replies.

Sorry if I caused some confusion with my question. I'm aware of various ways to rip Audio-CDs and BluRays using a PC/Mac. I just thought that the SACD-ripping tools using the Sony player connected to the Network are so comfortable, that it would have been fantastic if similar tools existed for CD/BlueRay. I understand that at least for BluRay its not that easy, because you have a lot of Audio-Streams on them and need to select them properly.

So in conclusion, CD and BuRay ripping needs to be done with a PC/Mac. So I´ll just hook up my external drive to the iMac via USB and do as usual...

4 hours ago, SuperMani1973 said:

Thanks for all those replies.

Sorry if I caused some confusion with my question. I'm aware of various ways to rip Audio-CDs and BluRays using a PC/Mac. I just thought that the SACD-ripping tools using the Sony player connected to the Network are so comfortable, that it would have been fantastic if similar tools existed for CD/BlueRay. I understand that at least for BluRay its not that easy, because you have a lot of Audio-Streams on them and need to select them properly.

So in conclusion, CD and BuRay ripping needs to be done with a PC/Mac. So I´ll just hook up my external drive to the iMac via USB and do as usual...

I doubt the number of audio tracks available on a Bluray disc really is an issue at all.  The encryption is the main obstacle and since it was solved a long time ago, there's no incentive for someone to invest time in it to come up with alternative methods.  Once the encryption is handled, it's pretty much a simple matter of copying files for Blurays and DVDs as the file system used on the discs is well understood by Windows and MacOS.

Better not be able to wear your Oppo or Pioneer out by ripping CDs and Blu-rays, since you'll probably never find another player capable of ripping SACDs, except on the second hand market (as with the first-generation PS3s earlier).

Those players are now several years old, and no newer player on the market could be hacked to rip SACDs.

To be on the safe side, I have two players that can rip SACDs (an Oppo 103 and a Pioneer BDP-170), and I use the Pioneer only for that. It has ripped more than a 1000 discs so far.

Claude

6 hours ago, CatManDo said:

Better not be able to wear your Oppo or Pioneer out by ripping CDs and Blu-rays, since you'll probably never find another player capable of ripping SACDs, except on the second hand market (as with the first-generation PS3s earlier).

Those players are now several years old, and no newer player on the market could be hacked to rip SACDs.

To be on the safe side, I have two players that can rip SACDs (an Oppo 103 and a Pioneer BDP-170), and I use the Pioneer only for that. It has ripped more than a 1000 discs so far.

That's why the Sony Blu-Ray players make great SACD rippers - dirt-cheap and (at least for now) plentiful on the used market. You can buy 3 of them (or more!) for the price of a used Pioneer BDP-160/170.

2 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Plus there's the additional satisfaction of the delicious irony that Sony's own gear is being used to undo Sony's obsessive attempts to lock down the SACD format.  (That same irony was there with PS3 ripping, but the greater availability of Sony BD players widely expands the group of people who can now enjoy this irony.)

Yes, in my view more than everything the copy protection killed the new format... so non sense...

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

Hey all!
I recently got my hands on a BDP-170. I've been able to successfully rip SHM-SACDs, but it seems that the player cannot read the SACD layer on hybrid disks. I saw there was some mention of the issue a while ago, but have had trouble seeing if there was a resolution.

Also, I'm on firmware 1.01 (can't seem to find a 1.02 firmware).

NOTE: Posted this message on another forum too, but hedging my bets :)

doesn't help, I know, but... many of my Hybrid SACDs were ripped using a Pioneer BDP-170 (before moving to an Oppo 103D)

re FW... no update was ever released

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

4 hours ago, lordvader said:

Hey all!
I recently got my hands on a BDP-170. I've been able to successfully rip SHM-SACDs, but it seems that the player cannot read the SACD layer on hybrid disks. I saw there was some mention of the issue a while ago, but have had trouble seeing if there was a resolution.

Also, I'm on firmware 1.01 (can't seem to find a 1.02 firmware).

NOTE: Posted this message on another forum too, but hedging my bets :)

Can you play the SACD layer on hybrid discs, by switching manually to it?

SHM-SACDs are single layer, so the player can only play (and rip) the SACD part, but with hybrids you can choose the layer.

My BDP-170 managed to rip hundreds of hybrid SACDs, but with a few discs, I needed to open/close the tray a few times before the player finally recognized it as an SACD and not a CD.

Failing to read hybrid SACDs is also a common problem of many SACD players (related to the laser), so it could be that your player has a hardware problem.

Claude

Sorry in advance if I have missed this.  I am looking for where I can download the latest SACD_Extract with the extra features in windows binary format rather than just source.  I am also looking for a gui front end that can take advantage of all of the features such as simultaneous extract of 2 and 6 channel as well as batch processing and error handling.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, mlknez said:

Sorry in advance if I have missed this.  I am looking for where I can download the latest SACD_Extract with the extra features in windows binary format rather than just source.  I am also looking for a gui front end that can take advantage of all of the features such as simultaneous extract of 2 and 6 channel as well as batch processing and error handling.

Thanks!

Post #4426.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group