IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

14 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Post # 4426, updated compiles graciously provided by @Nexus3 last March.

Is this version better than Mr. Wicked's last version? I do all of my ripping using my venerable but slow PS3. 

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

3 minutes ago, rwwjr44 said:

Is this version better than Mr. Wicked's last version? I do all of my ripping using my venerable but slow PS3. 

It is, but I'm not referring in any way to use of it with a PS3, I only rip SACD using Blu-ray players.

I don't have any idea if any of the components in this package are compatible with PS3.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

It is, but I'm not referring in any way to use of it with a PS3, I only rip SACD using Blu-ray players.

I don't have any idea if any of the components in this package are compatible with PS3.

Understood and thanks.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

On 7/24/2019 at 11:04 AM, BluRay444 said:

I have an Oppo (BDP-103) as well. If I understand you correctly, your Oppo network setting is now set to DHCP mode? If that is the case, unless you have some specific reason for doing this, you might consider giving it a fixed address, eliminating one of the steps that you mentioned. 

In addition, you can save time and steps by creating .bat files for the various ways you rip your SACD's i.e., a .bat for extracting stereo sony dsf files, another .bat for raw iso's, etc. This is easy to do and eliminates looking up parameters and prevents typos.

All true, but I'd rather leave everything in DHCP. I have too many devices to go around trying to assign fixed IPs to everything. Besides I find myself ripping SACDs maybe every three months now that my collection is ripped. If it takes me an extra 30s to locate the current IP address that's okay. 

OTOH I should make some BAT files to write DSF files, rather than splitting out my ISOs later on a different machine. Thanks for the recommendations. 

Thanks @NorthGeorgiaWX for reminding me to thank the people here who've discovered and refined these methods in the first place! 

2 hours ago, chichaz said:

All true, but I'd rather leave everything in DHCP. I have too many devices to go around trying to assign fixed IPs to everything. Besides I find myself ripping SACDs maybe every three months now that my collection is ripped. If it takes me an extra 30s to locate the current IP address that's okay. 

OTOH I should make some BAT files to write DSF files, rather than splitting out my ISOs later on a different machine. Thanks for the recommendations. 

Thanks @NorthGeorgiaWX for reminding me to thank the people here who've discovered and refined these methods in the first place! 

DHCP is not an either/or thing, in the DHCP settings on your router you have a setting for the range of IP addresses that are in the pool that DHCP uses. You can make that as big or small as you want. You could use the DHCP pool for most of your clients and assign a fixed IP address to just your Oppo. A lot of routers have DHCP reservation capability- one of the DHCP addresses is reserved for use by one device by entering the device's MAC address in the DHCP reservation table. Then, each time you connect from that device's MAC address, the router will assign the same IP address. But, the former example is really dead simple, and avoids having a different IP address assigned when it's current lease expires or after a power outage because you happened to add or remove a few other DHCP-connected devices.

OK- I've been reading this long thread and trying to get my Sony S590 to work. I don't know where I've gone wrong, but the player isn't opening the drive tray and isn't responding to telnet. So, basically no progress.

The S590 is firmware M12.R.0320. The player is connected to my network with a wired connection. I can ping the player successfully.

I have tried USB sticks formatted with both FAT32 & NTFS (with MBR)

I have copied the autoscript, autoscript.tss, sacd_extract to the root of the USB drive.

I have tried booting up the S590 with the USB stick in both the front & back ports of the player.

First I tried the original scripts found in the beginning of this thread.

Then I saw on page 111 new scripts posted by Dick. He mentioned changing the telnet command for the S590 from inetd to telnetd. I tried that change also.

After doing all of this I am still stuck. While the player responds to pings, it never accepts a telnet request (putty). The tray doesn't open after booting up. The ISO2DVD program doesn't see the player either.

What am I missing? My guess is the player is not running the scripts for some reason.

53 minutes ago, snafu_ said:

I have copied the autoscript, autoscript.tss, sacd_extract to the root of the USB drive.

That is the problem, these files need an enclosing folder called AutoScript, that is what needs to reside at the root of the flash drive, not the files themselves but their enclosing folder called AutoScript:

AutoScript-Win10.thumb.jpg.9f28a3dfa6571a88583631c541066a82.jpg

Don't boot the player with the flash drive already inserted, leave it out until the S590 has gone through it's initial boot sequence which you can monitor on the front panel LED display. After boot-up is complete, insert the flash drive, the disc tray will then open.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

40 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

That is the problem, these files need an enclosing folder called AutoScript, that is what needs to reside at the root of the flash drive, not the files themselves but their enclosing folder called AutoScript:

AutoScript-Win10.thumb.jpg.9f28a3dfa6571a88583631c541066a82.jpg

Don't boot the player with the flash drive already inserted, leave it out until the S590 has gone through it's initial boot sequence which you can monitor on the front panel LED display. After boot-up is complete, insert the flash drive, the disc tray will then open.

Boy, when I read this I thought - A-ha!

But, sadly moving the files into a folder called AutoScript did nothing. I tried as you said, waited for the player to boot up and then insert the USB drive. The TV shows the drive detected, but the tray doesn't open and telnet still fails. I tried both USB ports and I also tried booting up with the USB drive inserted. I also tried both my FAT32 and NTFS USB drives. Nothing works. The player just sits there.

Here's the script that I downloaded from Dick on page 111 of this thread. Dick says he had to change the inetd to telnetd on the 3rd line. So I did that also. But now I can only assume this script is wrong somehow? Do I have to telnet in to initiate some command? I'm curious as to why the script below doesn't execute the sacd_extract command like the original script?

#MTKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec echo root::0:0:root,,,:/root:/bin/sh >/etc/passwd)
CLI(CLI_exec /usr/sbin/telnetd &)
SLEEPMS(3000)
CLI(CLI_app.vfdmg.b clear_msg)
CLI(CLI_app.vfdmg.b scroll_msg start)
SLEEPMS(5000)

Capture.JPG

Tough to say but I know this, if you've repeatedly reinserted the flash drive without ever fully power cycling the unit (remove and replace the AC cord), that's the next step to try.

Do that with the flash drive removed, then see if the disc tray opens once you've rebooted the player and inserted the flash drive.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

4 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Tough to say but I know this, if you've repeatedly reinserted the flash drive without ever fully power cycling the unit (remove and replace the AC cord), that's the next step to try.

Do that with the flash drive removed, then see if the disc tray opens once you've rebooted the player and inserted the flash drive.

Still nothing. I've tried every combination of boot order/USB port I can think of.

I wish I knew if there was a way to know if it's either not seeing the script at all, or seeing the script - running it and the script is failing in some way. 

So, I'm still not sure why I need telnet running on the S590? Is this just if I want to initiate the ripping via telnet instead of using the ISO2DSD program, or is there some additional command I need to run via telnet?

This might be a case of the mysterious USB flash drive that just won't work. There are many reports like that, my only guess in those cases is a hidden primary partition.

Regardless, do you have another USB flash drive to try? Forget about Telnet and all that until you at least have the disc tray auto-opening upon insertion of the USB flash drive. If that doesn't happen, you aren't even at the starting line yet.

We really don't know why there seem to be some USB flash drives that are uncooperative, but it happens and you can get around that by trying a different one. Partition scheme has to be MBR, either FAT32 or NTFS format. Be sure you have that aforementioned enclosing folder called AutoScript.

If I were you I'd set aside all things Telnet for the moment, and also consider that perhaps in making a revision to the script you accidentally broke it.

In that scenario, I'd recommend trying a different flash drive and using this unadulterated script. Make sure you have the enclosing folder:

DropBox.jpg.25975b577c330bae14e0efbece8b1a09.jpg

Then launch ISO2DSD and use the sleep-server method. 

The above involves ensuring the S590 has been set-up for Quick Start mode in it's OSD menus, it's the only way you can sleep the machine.

After ensuring that setting, and getting a clean USB flash drive to actually open the disc tray, place a disc in it but don't close it, instead hit Power OFF, the tray will then close and you can Execute the rip in ISO2DSD once the LED display ceases flashing OFF.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

14 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

This might be a case of the mysterious USB flash drive that just won't work. There are many reports like that, my only guess in those cases is a hidden primary partition.

Regardless, do you have another USB flash drive to try? Forget about Telnet and all that until you at least have the disc tray auto-opening upon insertion of the USB flash drive. If that doesn't happen, you aren't even at the starting line yet.

We really don't know why there seem to be some USB flash drives that are uncooperative, but it happens and you can get around that by trying a different one. Partition scheme has to be MBR, either FAT32 or NTFS format. Be sure you have that aforementioned enclosing folder called AutoSript.

If I were you I'd set aside all things Telnet for the moment, and also consider that perhaps in making a revision to the script you accidentally broke it.

In that scenario, I'd recommend trying a different flash drive and using this unadulterated script. Then launch ISO2DSD and use the sleep-server method. 

The above involves ensuring the S590 has been set-up for Quick Start mode in it's OSD menus, it's the only way you can sleep the machine.

After ensuring that setting, and getting a clean USB flash drive to actually open the disc tray, place a disc in it but don't close it, instead hit Power OFF, the tray will then close and you can Execute the rip in ISO2DSD.

OK. Thanks for the clarification on telnet and thanks for your scripts. I tried them on 3 different USB thumb drives (Verbatim, Sandisk and a cheap no-name drive). Some as FAT32, and some as NTFS. I reformatted them just in case. Anyway, I was frustrated to see that it still didn't work. No disc tray opening. I tried unplugging AC, and resetting etc. I also verified that quick start is enabled on the S590.

Just for kicks I ran ISO2DSD with the player's IP address (port 2002) and it didn't do anything - as expected.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. But I think this might be hopeless. 

Is the firmware level ok - M12.R.0320. I see that the latest is R.0510, so I would think this would still be an early enough version not to have this exploit removed.

6 minutes ago, Dick Darlington said:

The script presented several posts ago, which is designed for Telnet does not contain the line commanding the tray to open by design. 

Thanks Dick, in looking back at it now I see the line is not there.

Thats what I get for commenting on the Telnet method (at all), I only ever use the sleep-server or AutoRip methods.

That said, the tray not opening with the script I posted is puzzling.

Maybe a firmware update will cure that machine's ills. I've only ever needed to do that with an S390 I bought some time ago, it wouldn't work until I updated the firmware, however I failed to jot down/note which firmware was on it originally so I don't know what wasn't working. I only know it worked after updating, and it's the only one of my 8 Sonys that required it.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

12 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

With the sleep-server method, you do not toggle the Stereo/Multichannel setting at all, skip it. That is fully replaced by using the Power OFF button to close the tray. That enters sleep mode, at which point you just Execute the Rip (assuming the aforementioned Quick Start mode was enabled.

After the rip is complete, the album folder will be located inside the ISO2DSD folder, you have no choice on that, there is no setting to alter, that's where the rips will be written.

Hmmm. I've run ISO2DSD on a Win 10 and a Win 7 pc and neither works. The icon goes busy for a few seconds, and then it comes back. I watch the folder that ISO2DSD is in to see if there's any activity - but nothing. 

Maybe this "sleep method" isn't working?

What should I see after clicking execute? I imagine I should be seeing an ISO file being created if I selected RAW ISO? I tried other options Sony DSF, etc - but no luck.

1 minute ago, snafu_ said:

What should I see after clicking execute?

In the Sonore GUI you would see the rip commence, track name and rip speed etc..

Here's the thing, after any/all failed attempts... for instance the one where you toggled the Stereo/multichannel setting, you need to start over by power cycling the S590.

Pull and replace the AC cord, power the unit ON, wait for the boot sequence, insert the flash drive, enter sleep mode, then rip.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

5 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

In the Sonore GUI you would see the rip commence, track name and rip speed etc..

Here's the thing, after any/all failed attempts... for instance the one where you toggled the Stereo/multichannel setting, you need to start over by power cycling the S590.

Pull and replace the AC cord, power the unit ON, wait for the boot sequence, insert the flash drive, enter sleep mode, then rip.

Ahhh, windows is crashing sacd_extract.exe   Event ID error 1000 This is on "ntdll.dll". Strangely, the same error on both Win 10 and Win 7.

Are there any dependencies that sacd_extract needs? Maybe a DLL file? I get the same windows error if I run the command line, so it's not the GUI.