IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Posting this, sorry if its not "new" news, but haven't seen it before.

This information is for the following models:

• BDP-BX510
  • BDP-S5100

IMPORTANT: This file is only for use with the models identified. Not all models are sold in all countries.

About this download

Benefits and improvements from the latest update

• Removes the Gracenote function

Previous Benefits and Improvements

• Resolves an issue where some Blu-ray titles cannot be played
  • Resolves an SSL security issue
  • Improves BD-ROM playability
  • Improves BRAVIA® internet Video connectivity
  • Improves Opera™ browser app connectivity for the Sony Entertainment Network service
  • Improves YouTube® Leanback playability for the BRAVIA® internet Video service
  • Resolves an issue where some network content won’t playback after updating to version M14.R.0136

Restrictions

• This file is only for use with the models identified. Not all models are sold in all countries.

File Info

File Name

• Firmware update M15.R.0257 for BDP-BX510/S5100

File Version

• M15.R.0257

File Size

• 100 MB (105,757,698 byte)

Release Date

• 03-05-2019

I think I'm ready to start, I have the S5100 sitting in front of me, 16, 32, and 128GB USB drives, HDMI cable to my monitor, and a spare ethernet cable from my router, but nothing on the audio side ready or much of a clue as to exactly what I need to do. I've downloaded and extracted the windows zip from the page linked to a page or so back, and I've been reading up and down the thread and have seen a few sets of simple instructions that unfortunately have steps I can't seem to follow (links I can't access).

0) I'll be working from a Win10 system, and yes formatting a USB can be a little crazy, as I spent the weekend fussing with installing Win7 on some old Dell pcs via USB, and going back and forth reformatting USB as various stages. I will most likely use Rufus.

1) I've never done anything with this player, is it OK to plug it in and connect to the internet for the firmware update?

2) I only have two SACD discs, so rip to an ISO on the USB seems like the easiest route.

3) Total shock to me, I had no idea the S5100 was a native SACD player with DSD via HDMI, which may or may not work with my ancient Sony 7200ES receiver with HDMI 1.1.

4) Do I need to use the front USB, cover is so fussy getting back on.

1 hour ago, Mike6f said:

1) I've never done anything with this player, is it OK to plug it in and connect to the internet for the firmware update?

Yes, all known firmwares are working, you can elect to update the firmware or not, your choice.

1 hour ago, Mike6f said:

2) I only have two SACD discs, so rip to an ISO on the USB seems like the easiest route.

All of the methods are just about equally easy. Are you going to use the GUI, or a Telnet session (Hint: GUI is typically "easier"). The GUI lets you designate an Output Directory, no need to write to the actual USB flash drive containing the AutoScript, just pick your destination.

1 hour ago, Mike6f said:

4) Do I need to use the front USB, cover is so fussy getting back on.

No, front or back USB ports both work, should not matter which one you choose.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

7200ES was the last of the Sony end to end digital receivers, one of the last with firewire inputs (that support HDCP and DSD input from a SACD) and one of the first with HDMI, which has made HDCP digital connections an adventure. I don't give up easily though. ;) 

SMH days of reading and I thought I had at least some of this ripping figured out, so its still a two component operation, USB thumb drive in the player, and program or script running on a computer over the LAN?

I've downloaded sacd_extract-WINDOWS-v0.3.9@setmind_git_2019-03-21, and looked a bit at github, is that where I need to download the stuff for the USB to put in the Sony S5100?

1 hour ago, Mike6f said:

I've downloaded sacd_extract-WINDOWS-v0.3.9@setmind_git_2019-03-21, and looked a bit at github, is that where I need to download the stuff for the USB to put in the Sony S5100?

You'll find the correct Pioneer-Sony AutoScript needed for the S5100 here.

Put the entire enclosing folder called AutoScript onto the root of the USB flash drive:

DropBox.jpg.ab7386f53759c7d38d971b9e58154ae1.jpg 

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

OK, I "think" I did that ^^^^^^^^ about to test.

Used Rufus to format 16GB thumb drive, UEFI, MBR, named it Jack (as in the ripper). Two files were in the root level when I looked in the thumb drive, autorun and I think autorun icon. I added the three unzipped files to the root level, AutoScript, AutoScript.TSS, and sacd_extract_160.

10 minutes ago, Mike6f said:

OK, I "think" I did that ^^^^^^^^ about to test.

Used Rufus to format 16GB thumb drive, UEFI, MBR, named it Jack (as in the ripper). Two files were in the root level when I looked in the thumb drive, autorun and I think autorun icon. I added the three unzipped files to the root level, AutoScript, AutoScript.TSS, and sacd_extract_160.

Please do use the quote button when replying, it helps to know exactly to whom you are replying, and what you are referring to in your posts.

You seem to have skipped the enclosing folder, it is required. We can't account for every different browser and unzip scenario, but suffice it to say if yours discarded the outer enclosing folder called AutoScript, you need it. Create one and put the 3 items you listed above into that AutoScript folder, that's what needs to reside at the root of the flash drive.

I don't know why formatting in Rufus would leave any kind of autorun files, but those likely need to be deleted, the only thing you should have is the AutoScript folder, anything else has the potential to interfere with the ripping script.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

Ready for the final checks?

These are both on-screen displayed menu items on the S5100, and SACDExtractGUI, assuming you have the USB flash drive all sorted.

Success, minor glitch I followed page one instruction to remove the USB before second rip, putting USB back fixed that. Here is the log.

[RUNNING][sacd_extract.exe, -i, 192.168.0.103:2002, -I, -o, E:\SacdISO]

Processing [E:\SacdISO\Oxford Camerata Summerly - Tallis Spem in alium.iso] (1/1)..
Completed: 100% (3861.0MB), Total: 100% (3861.0MB) at 3.18MB/secWe are done..                                                          

[DONE]

[SUCCESS] Port 2002 of 192.168.0.103 is accessible.

Response result non-zero or disc opened
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.103:2002 for reading

[DONE]

[DONE]

[RUNNING][ping, -n, 3, -w, 1, 192.168.0.103]

Pinging 192.168.0.103 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.103: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.103:
    Packets: Sent = 3, Received = 3, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

[DONE]

[SUCCESS] Port 2002 of 192.168.0.103 is accessible.

[DONE]

Processing [E:\SacdISO\Amsterdam Sinfonietta Fröst - Mozart Clarinet Concerto and Quintet.iso] (1/1)..
Completed: 100% (3381.5MB), Total: 100% (3381.5MB) at 3.15MB/secWe are done..                                                          

[DONE]

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2019 at 1:49 AM, mlknez said:

Thank you for the reply.  I tried using that version of SACD_extract.  I have some SACD .iso files that hang at 99% when extracting .dsf files.  The source .iso files play just fine on jriver 25.  Anyone have this issue?  Any fixes?

I used to have the same problems with iso file. 

I managed to make some improvements to sacd_extract to resolve the 99% infinite loop.

If you want to try it can be found here (version for Windows & Linux):

https://github.com/EuFlo/sacd-ripper/releases/tag/0.3.9.3

Sorry for the newbie/basic question but I've read the instructions, watched some videos, downloaded iso2dsd for OSX and placed autoscript in the root directory of a USB stick, but when I place the USB stick in the BDP-105, the drawer doesn't open and I can't "execute" from the iso2dsd window?

3 hours ago, Robby G said:

Sorry for the newbie/basic question but I've read the instructions, watched some videos, downloaded iso2dsd for OSX and placed autoscript in the root directory of a USB stick, but when I place the USB stick in the BDP-105, the drawer doesn't open and I can't "execute" from the iso2dsd window?

Good evening,

Can you post a screenshot of your USB flash drive directory? Are you using Windows, Mac, or Linux?

The failure of the disc tray to even open is due (typically) either to the 3 AutoScript files not having an outer/enclosing folder called AutoScript, or a flash drive that has some kind of hidden partition (or other strange incompatibility).

That's failure to launch, nothing will happen without first getting the script read-in and the disc tray to auto-open.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

37 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Can you post a screenshot of your USB flash drive directory? Are you using Windows, Mac, or Linux?

The failure of the disc tray to even open is due (typically) either to the 3 AutoScript files not having an outer/enclosing folder called AutoScript, or a flash drive that has some kind of hidden partition (or other strange incompatibility).

That's failure to launch, nothing will happen without first getting the script read-in and the disc tray to auto-open.

It's a Mac.  

IMAGE 11-30-19 AT 12.05 AM.jpeg

This drive is formatted as ExFAT.  I tried two USB drives.  The second one is USB 3.0, which I read somewhere might not work.  I tried all three USB ports, front and rear.  I disabled auto-play and auto resume.  I get visual indication on the front panel that the unit is seeing the USB drive.   

22 minutes ago, Robby G said:

This drive is formatted as ExFAT.  I tried two USB drives.  The second one is USB 3.0, which I read somewhere might not work.  I tried all three USB ports, front and rear.  I disabled auto-play and auto resume.  I get visual indication on the front panel that the unit is seeing the USB drive.   

The disc tray still won't open I assume? That's really strange. Last thing to try there is a complete power cycle of the 105 (remove and replace the AC cord) with the flash drive removed. 

If the disc tray still won't open after a full power cycle, I'd suggest scrubbing the AutoScript you have, and use the link directly below to download again. That link points to a known to work version for the OPPO 10x series players.

Oppo AutoScript (use the Download button on the upper right-hand side of the DropBox UI).

Be sure upon download and/or unzip that the outer enclosing folder called AutoScript survives, some browser/OS combinations tend to discard it and leave just the 3 files, but you do need that enclosing folder. The folder is so small it shouldn't need to be zipped, it downloads quickly without zipping, but some browser/OS combos will zip it anyway.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Okay now it's sort of working.  I took the following steps:  Switched to the USB 3.0 stick.  Reset the Oppo BDP-105 to factory settings, then disabled auto-play and auto-resume again.  Renamed the USB stick itself "AutoStick." Re-added the autoscript files to the USB stick.  Inserted the stick and the drawer opened.  Moved ISO2DSD to an external SSD hard drive, since there isn't much space on my laptop.  Ran ISO2DSD from the hard drive and hit "Execute," which ripped the disk to my external hard drive.  It shows up as a DSD Audio file and it plays on the computer with Audirivana, however when I copy the file to my Roon Nucleus+ and try to play it there, all I get is static? 

Follow-up:

ISO2DSD now seems to be working fine, however I needed to change the DSD playback setting on my Oppo UDP-205 from "Native" to "DSD over PCM v1.0 (DoP)" to avoid just getting white-noise/static.  The "Native" setting had been working fine with downloaded DSD files.  Is there something else that I'm missing or doing wrong or does this seem the best strategy under the circumstances?  I'm ripping to Channel Mode: Dual and Output Mode: Sony DSF.

Thanks for all the assistance!

Perhaps I should have been clearer?  I'm not questioning the playback settings, I'm wondering if there's any reason that ripped DSF file to act any differently and/or require any different playback settings than a downloaded DSF file?  Should I be using different ISO2DSD settings to accommodate native DSD playback?