IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Ha! Discovered something. 

I swapped SACD's. The SACD that didn't work is:

• Carpenters - with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

I stuck this SACD in:

• Blood, Sweat & Tears - Original Master Recording

The Carpenter SACD is brand new... I wonder if there isn't something about it that prevents this type of copying? 

Right now, BS&T is ripping without issue. 

10 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Ha! Discovered something. 

I swapped SACD's. The SACD that didn't work is:

• Carpenters - with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

I stuck this SACD in:

• Blood, Sweat & Tears - Original Master Recording

The Carpenter SACD is brand new... I wonder if there isn't something about it that prevents this type of copying? 

Right now, BS&T is ripping without issue. 

I bet the SACDExtractGUI app gave you a different error message than ISO2DSD did on that problem disc?

As best I can tell, there is no SACD release for that title. So the problem is that it's not an SACD, Redbook CD only, which can't be ripped using this method and a Blu-ray player. 

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

9 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

I bet the SACDExtractGUI app gave you a different error message than ISO2DSD did on that problem disc?

As best I can tell, there is no SACD release for that title. So the problem is that it's not an SACD, Redbook CD only, which can't be ripped using this method and a Blu-ray player. 

Yeah, I was wondering about that as I recently purchased the Redbook CD version of this and, if there is an SACD version, I wasn't aware of it, otherwise I would have bought that instead of the CD.

1 minute ago, Redbeemer said:

Yeah, I was wondering about that as I recently purchased the Redbook CD version of this and, if there is an SACD version, I wasn't aware of it, otherwise I would have bought that instead of the CD.

I haven't turned on the Oppo for a while, and that disk just happened to be in there. I didn't really think too much about it simply because I almost NEVER listen to a CD on the Oppo, all of my CD's are already ripped, so in the back of my mind I was thinking SACD.  It never even occurred to me until BS&T started working. 

I retired last November after 30 years in technology and years as a network systems engineer. This is one of those days where I overthought everything and just assumed it was a configuration/setup problem, and I know better. 

I appreciate you taking your time to help me out, sorry I wasted it! 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to everybody.

First of all thank you very much for this guide, I successfully ripped my SACDs following the instruction on this thread.

Please, I need help to solve a very annoyong problem that affects my OPPO BDP 103EU. I apologize if it’s off topic! And here’s what happening:

Basically every time that I load a Blu Ray disc of a movie, the main menu is displayed correctly, but every time that I start playing the movie the signal goes lost for several seconds and the screen becomes black until the signal comes back; then I can finally watch the entire movie with no more troubles. But when the movie arrives to end and the disc backs to the main menu, the signal goes lost again in the same way described.
The problem happens no matter if the HDMI cable is long or very short, no matter what monitor, TV or projector it’s connected to; no matter if the disc is original or a BD-R.

Please, any suggestion? Did it already happen to someone here?

Last question to back in topic: if I update the firmware to the last version, can I still rip SACDs?

Thank you in advance.

Sounds like the Oppo is switching from the Oppo's framerate settings to the framerate settings your Bluray movie was mastered in... usually only takes a second or so for your display to catch up. As far as your firmware, some of the earlier versions of Oppo BDP-103 firmware were able to play SACD-R discs, but Oppo was pressured into releasing firmware that blocked that "feature"; depending on how old the firmware version you have is, and whether or not you'd ever want to play SACD-R's, you might want to wait a research this subject before you upgrade, because you can't 'downgrade' the firmware at a later date; I can't remember the version number, but I'll see if I can dig it up and post here; maybe someone else reading this will have the info too.

And, yes, if you upgrade the firmware to the latest version, you'll still be able to rip Blurays... 

26 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

..."depending on how old the firmware version you have is, and whether or not you'd ever want to play SACD-R's, you might want to wait a research this subject before you upgrade, because you can't 'downgrade' the firmware at a later date; I can't remember the version number, but I'll see if I can dig it up and post here; maybe someone else reading this will have the info too.

And, yes, if you upgrade the firmware to the latest version, you'll still be able to rip Blurays... 

SACD-R's? Are they possible? I've scanned and searched for a long time and haven't found a way to do this, although I did read some articles alluding to them years ago.

Thank you

Kind regards

---Hyendaudio

11 minutes ago, hyendaudio said:

SACD-R's? Are they possible? I've scanned and searched for a long time and haven't found a way to do this, although I did read some articles alluding to them years ago.

Thank you

Kind regards

---Hyendaudio

i use img burn and blank dvds and just burn th iso you ripped, for mastering you have to get a little creative and get on the net to find the tools, super author (ca. 2004) is what I use

The Oppo BDP-103 capability to play SACD-R discs was removed with firmware 50-0323B which was released sometime prior to April 2013; a real long-shot, but you never know, depending on how you came about having the 103.

Also removed with this release: BDMV folders are no longer supported on DVD media (this was a directive from the Bluray Disc Association); the "AVCHD trick" where Bluray backups could be played if the BDMV folder was copied into and AVCHD folder no longer works (this was by command of the licensing authorities).

Hi all!

I bought a used Pioneer BDP-170 and tried to rip SACD for 3 hours now. No success :-(

The unit came with Firmware 1.01.

- I followed the instructions 100%

- My router finds the BDP-170 (LAN)

- Windows finds the BDP-170. It's visible in the Network environment.

- The BDP-170 says SACD after the tray is closed.

Nevertheless the edited cmd-filed does not start the extraction. The cmd windows closes after some seconds. Sonore also does not work. It fails to connect to the player.

Any help is welcome!!!

there never was a FW update for the Pioneer 170 so... I bet issue is within files on the USB key

you are using the BDP-160 ones, right?

sorry, sold my Pioneer and bought an Oppo so... look for proper download link in this thread

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

7 hours ago, pl_svn said:

there never was a FW update for the Pioneer 170 so... I bet issue is within files on the USB key

you are using the BDP-160 ones, right?

sorry, sold my Pioneer and bought an Oppo so... look for proper download link in this thread

Well, the tray opens automatically after reboot with USB stick. So I guess the software should work. I tried the BDP-160 SACD_extract files and the Dropbox link on page 2. Not successful yet 😞

1 hour ago, chichaz said:

Over the last two years or so I have read every post on these 187 pages. If you'll indulge me for a moment, I wanted to chime in with an update. 

I bought some SACDs on Discogs recently and ripped them last night, for backup purposes of course 👍. I had installed a wired gigabit switch in my entertainment center a few months ago. Now everything is just a little bit easier. Popped in my trusty (read: dedicated) flash drive into my Oppo, turned off auto-resume & looked at the IP address, inserted the first disc, connected an Ethernet cable I leave behind the cabinet to my laptop, edited the IP address in the sacd.cmd file, shelled out to DOS, changed the directory, typed "sacd" and blamo!

While I realize this still takes several steps, it requires a maximum of five minutes. That's unless you make a mistake, and I admit I usually make one or two. I have to say, though, wired Ethernet and the dedicated flash drive are the keys to making this an easy process. Hope this helps anyone else who has successfully ripped a disc and hopes to do so again in the future. 

Cheers

I have an Oppo (BDP-103) as well. If I understand you correctly, your Oppo network setting is now set to DHCP mode? If that is the case, unless you have some specific reason for doing this, you might consider giving it a fixed address, eliminating one of the steps that you mentioned. 

In addition, you can save time and steps by creating .bat files for the various ways you rip your SACD's i.e., a .bat for extracting stereo sony dsf files, another .bat for raw iso's, etc. This is easy to do and eliminates looking up parameters and prevents typos.

A more detailed and expanded version of how to do this appears in this post:

I wonder why the file sizes are different depending on the extraction software.

For example: Depeche Mode "World in my Eyes" from Violator SACD, Dual Mode:

- Sonore server input: 184 MB

- Trax demo: 93 MB

Which software/method is giving the best sound quality results?

18 minutes ago, 1731867 said:

I wonder why the file sizes are different depending on the extraction software.

For example: Depeche Mode "World in my Eyes" from Violator SACD, Dual Mode:

- Sonore server input: 184 MB

- Trax demo: 93 MB 

Which software/method is giving the best sound quality results?

Sonore ISO2DSD is yielding the correct file size there, I have no idea what Trax is doing there, I've never used it.

These days I use SACDExtractGUI, as it utilizes mindset's updated faster/better sacd_extract 3.9 in the package, my rip of that same stereo track using the above software is 185.74 MB, but bear in mind that includes some slight alteration to the meta data and also the embedding of album cover art too, which affects the file size.

Looks to me like the Trax demo might have down-sampled to 24-bit/88.2 kHz FLAC, no?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group