IGNORED

Why the heck is it...

Paul R

P.S. Strangely enough, I find myself looking forward to Cyndi Lauper's new album - _Detours_. I bet she can really do justice to some of those country ballads from the 50's and 60s. :)

-Paul

+1

these yung-uns and their screeching ear plug thingies.......

what has the world come to?

wait....my grandparents are channeling thru me....!

there is life after death!

oh schiit, im well past mid-life now.....no future other than death...just memories of the way things used to be.

fu(k it, im only listening to classical from now on.....which probably wont be long.

btw, the way this year has started out with the loss so many musical greats from my past, i truly hope Cindy does not leave us before she finishes the album.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

You nailed it! Psychologist's studies have shown that your fave music is "set in stone" by the time you leave college (or pass that age). I'm not sure if they were ever able to separate whether it was solely related to the nostalgia thing or if other factors were at play.

I completely agree. IME this is true for the vast majority of people. I think I am an exception to this rule though.

I can be very nostalgic, but not when it comes to what I listen to. I can only listen to my favorite songs/albums so many times before the magic is lost. As such, I probably only listen to my favorite albums 2-3 times per year. I treasure these albums and save them for special occasions.

This is a blessing and a curse, but that is just how I am wired so I don't fight it. I enjoy the hunt almost as much as the catch and I've become very good at finding new tunes. Most of my listening sessions involve sampling new artists rather than ones I already own.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

+1

these yung-uns and their screeching ear plug thingies.......

what has the world come to?

wait....my grandparents are channeling thru me....!

there is life after death!

oh schiit, im well past mid-life now.....no future other than death...just memories of the way things used to be.

fu(k it, im only listening to classical from now on.....which probably wont be long.

btw, the way this year has started out with the loss so many musical greats from my past, i truly hope Cindy does not leave us before she finishes the album.

You got more years left in ya than I do - probably. :)

It's already in preorder -

Home : Cyndi Lauper

cyndi-lauper-detour-cover-800x800.jpg

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

You nailed it! Psychologist's studies have shown that your fave music is "set in stone" by the time you leave college (or pass that age). I'm not sure if they were ever able to separate whether it was solely related to the nostalgia thing or if other factors were at play.

That's interesting, but there has to be exceptions. My wife for instance, never listened to classical music until about a year after we were married, then she grew addicted to it and has a better depth and grasp of the field than do I. We were married about a year after graduation. :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Let the Roon guide you!

i need Roon for TV.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

That's interesting, but there has to be exceptions. My wife for instance, never listened to classical music until about a year after we were married, then she grew addicted to it and has a better depth and grasp of the field than do I. We were married about a year after graduation. :)

-Paul

Classical music is something you either love or you don't. It's not something that needs to be understood. If you are fortunate enough to love it, you will never get sick of it. The sheer breadth and scope of it takes a lifetime to fathom. After all, it is the product of Western civilisation's greatest musical genius's for the past 1000 years.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

I often get to the point where Paul is.....

tons of music in my RAID HD's along with shelves of vinyl.

when adding to my libraries it is nearly always releases of past works.

still, with so many choices available, there are times i can not think of anything i 'want' to listen to.

that is when i go directly to my classical category.

there is always something 'new' in the classics.

AFA new releases, i have found V good new works from artists by way of Cuneiform Records & Artist Share

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

With all the music in the world at our fingertips...

Our own massive collections, Apple Music, Tidal, Qobuz, Bandcamp, Hundreds of sattelite radio channels, who knows how many internet radio channels, and more, all jusr a finger tap away...

I can't find some new music I want to listen to?!

(He says listening to ArchAndroid yet again...:))

Could it be that the "new music" pickings are slim? Don't know, just asking.... :)

George

Paul,

I'd insert some of your present faves/wants into Amazon and have a look-see at their suggestions. The same could be said for some of the streaming services, but Amazon seems to have really good suggestions for me. It might help that I have purchased a lot from them however, but it is in part becasue of their ability to serve me music I liked. These days I dare not even open it, and am a bit perplexed to hear that you are struggling to find new stuff you like. Unlike some here, I have little to no interest in the music I liked when I grew up, but it might be in part that I am subjected to it by others more often than I'd care to. Another suggestion would be to list stuff here, and see what bubbles to the surface. There is a great volume of collective music knowledge here from what I have seen.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

The good news for me is that there has been so much great Rock, Country, Blues, Motown, etc done in my last 66 years that I never run out of great music to collect and listen to. Every week a album or two pop up that are missing from my collection that I can get used CD off ebay dirt cheap in most cases. Plus along with a few new greats being done in HDA by my most loved artists, James Taylors - Before This World is an immediate example but there are lots more.

Don't find anything coming out of the new artist Rock world today that I have any interest in. Best new popular artists and music for me today comes from the Country and Western world.

Got no more than 50 Classical and Jazz recordings, most bought over the years as "Audiophile To Die For" recommendations used to evaluate my system. Have played each no more than a few times to do their intended job and then never to be heard again. Just not my thing.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Paul,

I'd insert some of your present faves/wants into Amazon and have a look-see at their suggestions. The same could be said for some of the streaming services, but Amazon seems to have really good suggestions for me. It might help that I have purchased a lot from them however, but it is in part becasue of their ability to serve me music I liked. These days I dare not even open it, and am a bit perplexed to hear that you are struggling to find new stuff you like. Unlike some here, I have little to no interest in the music I liked when I grew up, but it might be in part that I am subjected to it by others more often than I'd care to. Another suggestion would be to list stuff here, and see what bubbles to the surface. There is a great volume of collective music knowledge here from what I have seen.

Oh, if I actually buckle down and do some research, I find plenty of interesting music. Just not a lot of *new* music - except for classical releases.

And this perplexing condition seems to happen when I want to listen, not research. I must admit, I find myself wanting to listen more these days, and research less.

Much less in fact. I mean, some of my own collection sounds new to me because I have not listened in so long.

_Diamonds and Rust_ - one of my all time favorite albums - sounded new and fresh to my ears - after trying to listen to _Straight Otta Compton_, which I really did not like, and Flo Rida's _Wild Ones_, which I did kinda like, but probably won't ever listen to again... :)

[Edit - I don't think I communicated very clearly there, basically I think there are simply too many choices to be discriminating about, and I think my tastes in music are not "mainstream" for 2016. :) ]

Robert A. Heinlein

Oh, if I actually buckle down and do some research, I find plenty of interesting music. Just not a lot of *new* music - except for classical releases.

And this perplexing condition seems to happen when I want to listen, not research. I must admit, I find myself wanting to listen more these days, and research less.

Much less in fact. I mean, some of my own collection sounds new to me because I have not listened in so long.

_Diamonds and Rust_ - one of my all time favorite albums - sounded new and fresh to my ears - after trying to listen to _Straight Otta Compton_, which I really did not like, and Flo Rida's _Wild Ones_, which I did kinda like, but probably won't ever listen to again... :)

[Edit - I don't think I communicated very clearly there, basically I think there are simply too many choices to be discriminating about, and I think my tastes in music are not "mainstream" for 2016. :) ]

I'm enjoying expanding my tastes in both classical and jazz.

A few years back, I was pretty much limited to baroque / classical period, and pretty much only well-known composers. Given the availability of streaming (Qobuz, in my case), I'm able to listen to less well-known composers, earlier / later periods, etc., and this expands my listening universe substantially.

Similarly, I initially likely only hard-bop, mid-50s to mid-60s jazz. Again, given the ability to sample almost the entire world of jazz recordings, I've been able to expand my horizons there, as well.

Great time to be a music fan :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

The good news for me is that there has been so much great Rock, Country, Blues, Motown, etc done in my last 66 years that I never run out of great music to collect and listen to. Every week a album or two pop up that are missing from my collection that I can get used CD off ebay dirt cheap in most cases. Plus along with a few new greats being done in HDA by my most loved artists, James Taylors - Before This World is an immediate example but there are lots more.

Don't find anything coming out of the new artist Rock world today that I have any interest in.

I'm with you. A couple you might want to check out are Vintage Trouble and Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings.

With all the music in the world at our fingertips...

Our own massive collections, Apple Music, Tidal, Qobuz, Bandcamp, Hundreds of sattelite radio channels, who knows how many internet radio channels, and more, all jusr a finger tap away...

I can't find some new music I want to listen to?!

(He says listening to ArchAndroid yet again...:))

+1 on ArchAndroid - why is Janelle Monae not more popular? Extremely talented lady.

PS Audio DirectStream DSD Bridge -> Classe CA-2200 - >B&W 803-D2, Nordost Tyr cabled. Synology NAS, MinimServer, BubbleDS.

+1 on ArchAndroid - why is Janelle Monae not more popular? Extremely talented lady.

I agree. I think that Janelle's work is pretty edgy, unique, and she has a lot of control over her work. She is an artist who creates in music, and thus not easily categorized.

That may be a barrier to the huge commercial acceptance more mainstream performers achieve. Lastly, she does not seem to get into much trouble!

Robert A. Heinlein

For other than classical and jazz, I particularly appreciate Uncut magazine reviews. I come away with at least a dozen albums to listen to on Tidal each issue. If rock with a alt-country bent appeals it's a great read.

Love Jason Isbell and going to see Ryan Bingham tonight, so I'll start checking out Uncut.

It can take some looking, but I find "world music" research can pay off in new stuff that sounds different from the rest of your collection. The Moroccan guitarist and singer Bombino's album Nomad is a personal favorite (loud, rocking, Arabic rhythms and melodic inflections).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Love Jason Isbell and going to see Ryan Bingham tonight, so I'll start checking out Uncut.

It can take some looking, but I find "world music" research can pay off in new stuff that sounds different from the rest of your collection. The Moroccan guitarist and singer Bombino's album Nomad is a personal favorite (loud, rocking, Arabic rhythms and melodic inflections).

I think you'll love Uncut Jud. Quite expensive outside the UK for the print edition (which comes with a CD) but digital subscription very reasonable. Very good for world music and classic rock as well.

For other than classical and jazz, I particularly appreciate Uncut magazine reviews. I come away with at least a dozen albums to listen to on Tidal each issue. If rock with a alt-country bent appeals it's a great read.

After a preview on Tidal, Of that dozen how many have you laid down the $ to purchase?

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

After a preview on Tidal, Of that dozen how many have you laid down the $ to purchase?

I'll lay out $$ for my musician friends' albums but otherwise see no need to purchase music (beyond than the vinyl and 2000 CDs I already have). The 3000 albums in my Tidal favorites feel as much "mine" as FLAC rips on my hard drive. Alt-country recommendations from Uncut usually stay among my Tidal library favorites.

I'll lay out $$ for my musician friends' albums but otherwise see no need to purchase music (beyond than the vinyl and 2000 CDs I already have). The 3000 albums in my Tidal favorites feel as much "mine" as FLAC rips on my hard drive. Alt-country recommendations from Uncut usually stay among my Tidal library favorites.

Understood, guess I'm just too old school. Besides my HDA downloads, I purchase my CD's used or out of the $5 bins. Which I then rip and give away to the local churches thrift store.

If you sell or give away your CDs you should delete the rips.

I'll get right on that.

Nice, but at $84/print and $76/digital, it is a little pricey for me. :(

Robert A. Heinlein

Nice, but at $84/print and $76/digital, it is a little pricey for me. :(

It appears to be a little cheaper ($46.66/year) from Zinio.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull