IGNORED

Why the heck is it...

Paul R

With all the music in the world at our fingertips...

Our own massive collections, Apple Music, Tidal, Qobuz, Bandcamp, Hundreds of sattelite radio channels, who knows how many internet radio channels, and more, all jusr a finger tap away...

I can't find some new music I want to listen to?!

(He says listening to ArchAndroid yet again...:))

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I have found quite a few new artists right here on this forum, then seen them live and bought their CDs and/or digital downloads. I listen to Minnesota Public Radio both Classical and The Current to find new artists I may like. They have online streams and a bunch of stuff on their website if you want to look at it Paul. NPR tiny desk concerts come up with some really cool stuff from time to time.

No electron left behind.

Our own massive collections, Apple Music, Tidal, Qobuz, Bandcamp, Hundreds of sattelite radio channels, who knows how many internet radio channels, and more, all jusr a finger tap away...

Possible explanation: Because you're getting older and your tastes have solidified around types of music that aren't being made as much anymore. And when they are, they aren't so original, so even this "new" stuff sounds like stuff you've heard before.

No insult intended by the above. I'd describe myself that way. Most of the "new" music I like tends to be in the relatively avant garde jazz and "classical" areas. I think that's because there is more actually new happening there, or at least I'm less acquainted with it and it sounds new to me.

In rock and pop, I do sometimes find new music I like, but often new albums sound sort of like "it's good, but so and so 20-40 years ago, did the same thing, only better".

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I have found quite a few new artists right here on this forum, then seen them live and bought their CDs and/or digital downloads. I listen to Minnesota Public Radio both Classical and The Current to find new artists I may like. They have online streams and a bunch of stuff on their website if you want to look at it Paul. NPR tiny desk concerts come up with some really cool stuff from time to time.

I have to admit, the NPR choices were great during the 90's and 2000's. They seem to be getting less and less appealing to me this decade. I admit, I did get a kick out of the Pat Benetar tiny desk concert recently. Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo: Tiny Desk Concert : NPR

Robert A. Heinlein

Possible explanation: Because you're getting older and your tastes have solidified around types of music that aren't being made as much anymore. And when they are, they aren't so original, so even this "new" stuff sounds like stuff you've heard before.

;)

Listening to Hoagy Carmichael right now- can't think of any contemporary artist that even comes close. Just a tab before my time though...

Robert A. Heinlein

that's a bit of music archaeology...I am walking his "walking the Dog" right now..

Sometimes the old stuff is best - Ray Stevens' _The Mississippi Squirrel Revival_ is playing now...

I had totally forgotten I had that album in my collection. Not sure if the music is really great, or if it is just great memories from when I was a kid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017L4WM8?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Robert A. Heinlein

go on Spotify and get lost down the rabbit hole of "related artists".Or listen to a completely new kind of music than what you're used to.I recently really fell into this style called Djent. It basically is a poly-rhythmic, jazz fusion, metal style with spiritual lyrics.The top 2 bands to check out are Disperse and TesseracT. If you don't dig the vocals, there are a lot of bands in this style that are instrumental.

If I am anything, I am a music lover and a pragmatist.

Too much choice. I think this is why internet radio stations remain very important to my listening pleasure (besides discovering new music that is). I have just a smattering of stations in each category, for example, Jazz24, TheJazzGroove, Jazz Wyoming, and Martini In The Morning in the Jazz category. If I want Jazz I know it won't take long to find something of interest. Listening to curated playlists (Spotify, TIDAL, etc. doesn't seem to accomplish the same for some reason. Radio. Who knew?

I think, for pop music anyway, our tastes and preferences begin to form during our "coming of age" period from around 16 to 20 and are pretty much ingrained after that.

We relate the music contemporaneous of those times to first loves, carefree times, increasing freedom and independence, rebelliousness, finding our identity, and the like.

The music of those times is the soundtrack to all that.

That's my theory, anyway.

Let the Roon guide you!

NUC10i7 + ROCK > dCS Rossini Apex DAC + dCS Rossini Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V 9” + Dynavector XV-1s > vdH The Grail

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Let the Roon guide you!

+1. Lots of different ways to find new music via Roon. There's the usual sort of "find stuff randomly" on Tidal by looking at new releases, but the best ways have to do with finding stuff related (by sub-genre, personnel, composer, label, etc.) to things in your collection (or not) that you already know you like.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

+1

Dinosaurs are reluctant to change their diets. :) In addition to those already mentioned, other sources include music reviews of new releases in magazines, e.g. Stereophile, Rolling Stone, etc., or music websites such as All Music. While most retailers of online downloads include samples, hi-res releases tend to be mostly remastered versions of old recordings.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I think that's why I still subscribe to Rolling Stone and to Stereophile. I can keep up with recent developments with hardware and with new bands that I might be interested in.

It's a lot easier now than it used to be, you don't have to take anyone's word for "they're really great, you're going to love it" type of thing.

Between being able to look them up on Allmusic and then check out a few videos on YouTube it's hard to go wrong. I still get something once in a while that I don't really care for, but it's quite rare and usually because I didn't do my homework.

Of particular note would be the latest Alabama Shakes. I liked the first album (Boys & Girls) and bought the second (Sound & Color) because of rave reviews in Rolling Stone. I don't care for it at all, it sounds like a bunch of stoners who left the tape recorder running and forgot about it while they were thrashing around.

It's impossible to recommend music to someone else, there's just too much out there. You need to do a bit of homework, but there's an awful lot of good stuff coming out.

I sometimes check "best of 2015" lists to get ideas on what might work. The Quietus lists their top 100 every year and keep a running total. A lot of it is alternative or fringe thrash metal stuff but I did end up with titles from Grouper, Oneotrix Point Never, Tim Hecker, Caribou, The National and others based on their reviews.

It's a good thing we have TV to distract us from that dilemma, Paul....

Cox-Gainesville-TV-Listings.png

LOL! Problem is, we cut the cord on Cable TV about 6 years ago now. Never looked back, except on Super Bowl Sunday...

Now we have Apple TV and Roku - offering between them, a bit over 10,000 choices now, including games.... I mean besides iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, and soon Amazon, you find these irresistible time sinks, like TouchPress.

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 2.37.28 PM.png

It's a conspiracy to invade my music time! :)

blank.gif

Robert A. Heinlein

It's a good thing we have TV to distract us from that dilemma, Paul....

Wow! Got a real shock when I saw that line-up card. I used to work on those for Cox — you'd be surprised how many variants there are — when they were based near here in Springfield, VA. Nightmare job.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I think, for pop music anyway, our tastes and preferences begin to form during our "coming of age" period from around 16 to 20 and are pretty much ingrained after that.

We relate the music contemporaneous of those times to first loves, carefree times, increasing freedom and independence, rebelliousness, finding our identity, and the like.

The music of those times is the soundtrack to all that.

That's my theory, anyway.

You nailed it! Psychologist's studies have shown that your fave music is "set in stone" by the time you leave college (or pass that age). I'm not sure if they were ever able to separate whether it was solely related to the nostalgia thing or if other factors were at play.