IGNORED

Why the heck is it...

Paul R

I love Adele's performances, despise the audio quality and compression on her recordings, and find Ed Sheeran to be too young and obsessed with drugs for my taste. ;)

Bought the Ed Sheeran X album due to a couple raves I had read somewhere, no thanks.

Good thing I only paid a couple bucks for it off ebay.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

We know you like streaming. What have you heard lately that's new and interesting?

Not speaking for JeffMudrick, but I streamed this last night and found it perplexing and intriguing all at the same time. It had elements of a lot of different music in it, including parts that sounded like Cirque music, a lot of repetitive themes, and it bounced me around all over the place. It did however, draw me so far into the music I forgot to listen to how good or bad the recording was. (grin)

Thomas-J-Bergersen-Sun.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_(Thomas_Bergersen_album)

Available to stream on Apple Music.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

John Cale has a new release, a reissue of Music for a New Society both in original form and a newly reimagined one. I'm not so crazy about the new version but find the original (new to me) astonishingly good.

The release of the Velvet Underground's 1969 Matrix tapes is superb.

The new Judy Collins album is excellent and led me to greater explore the Fred Neil catalog. I've also been spending time with John Fahey's catalog (a Kottke fan) . Both Kottke and Fahey sound wonderful on my system.

My favorite release of of 2015 was James McMurtry's Complicated Game. His boy Curtis work is also superb. Ditto Steve Earl's boy Justin Townes Earle.

I've got all the 2L catalog favorited and am starting to shuffle the through that in preparation for all the MQA discussion.

Likewise I have a best of 2015 playlist which is a compilation of best ofs from Uncut, No Depression, Pitchfork, Rolling Stone etc.

Here's a Best of 2015 playlist to shuffle through :

http://tidal.com/playlist/19d80029-e4f0-493e-ae28-a11c37f33c78

I used to listen to James McMurtry back in the days of "Too Long in the Wasteland." He's still good.

I love Justin Townes Earle's last two albums.

Jason Isbell's latest on your best of 2015 playlist is another of my favorites.

If you like those guys, try Ryan Bingham if you haven't already. (Saw him live in Philly last weekend, a terrific show, and last night's live New York show that was up on Yahoo! Live Nation unfortunately just stopped streaming an hour or two ago.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Not speaking for JeffMudrick, but I streamed this last night and found it perplexing and intriguing all at the same time. It had elements of a lot of different music in it, including parts that sounded like Cirque music, a lot of repetitive themes, and it bounced me around all over the place. It did however, draw me so far into the music I forgot to listen to how good or bad the recording was. (grin)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24078[/ATTACH]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_(Thomas_Bergersen_album)

Available to stream on Apple Music.

-Paul

It's on Tidal, will give a, listen thanks.

rn701, thank you. Nicely said.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi folks. Indeed, I'm not giving out legal advice here, free or any other kind. For that you need to hire a lawyer, and I've already got a job.

I'd love to see the thread get back to the subject of discovering new music, which as you might imagine is a heck of a lot more fun for me than legal discussions.

I think I'd find Jud's Law Blog more interesting than 90% of the stuff on this forum.

Teresa,

As poorly as the music labels have historically treated both it's artists and customers I really don't understand why you take all this stuff so seriously. Their only guiding light is greed. But I do respect your convictions.

If you've read many of my posts over the years, you know that I am not a fan of the major labels, I abhor not only the sound quality but the music on most major labels recordings made since the 1980's. Before that time some of the major label recordings were quite good.

I know you are a fan of David Manley's ViTaL Records. Well, there are also many other audiophile labels that also care about both their customers and their artists, and most importantly how realistic their music sounds, indeed they reputation depends on it. So don't punish the audiophile labels because of the sins of the major labels. And that is why I take this stuff so seriously.

I don't support the greedy major labels, but I don't want to lose the audiophile labels whose motivation is not greed but the enjoyment of music.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

If you've read many of my posts over the years, you know that I am not a fan of the major labels, I abhor not only the sound quality but the music on most major labels recordings made since the 1980's. Before that time some of the major label recordings were quite good.

I know you are a fan of David Manley's ViTaL Records. Well, there are also many other audiophile labels that also care about both their customers and their artists, and most importantly how realistic their music sounds, indeed they reputation depends on it. So don't punish the audiophile labels because of the sins of the major labels. And that is why I take this stuff so seriously.

I don't support the greedy major labels, but I don't want to lose the audiophile labels whose motivation is not greed but the enjoyment of music.

Yes I was a big fan of David, both his recordings and his equipment. I owned a pair of his VTL Compact 80 monoblocks and they were the pride of my system for 20 years. Sad when I had to sell off that whole large system in my retirement move to MUCH smaller digs in FL. We were passingly friendly as have spent quite a bit of time jawing together a number of Hi Fi shows back in the 80-90s.

I thank you for your article at PF, it still gets lots of action as I point someone to it about once a week while recommending his recordings. His studio and equipment were unique and IMHO the recordings are still some of the best sounding ever done, one of his CD's are the first thing I throw on when I want to demo real HiFi. For those who haven't read it, very interesting short description of the studio design and all personally made custom equipment.

manley recordings

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

By the way - a friend recommended "The Hot Sardines." Their first album at least is - well - a hoot! Well worth listening to, the lady singing is just fun to listen to. Jazz from several mixed eras, but it isn't hard to see them as a 1920's jazz band, or a 1950's, or a N'awlins band. Lots of great piano, lots of fun brass, and great singing.

Recommended! Available on iTunes Music to stream.:)

P.S. The track "Wake Up In Paris" was perhaps "the" outstanding track to me. -Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein