IGNORED

Why the heck is it...

Paul R

Understood, guess I'm just too old school. Besides my HDA downloads, I purchase my CD's used or out of the $5 bins. Which I then rip and give away to the local churches thrift store.

I'm even older school than you, I actually keep and play my CDs, HDCDs and SACDs on my Yamaha Blu-ray/SACD player. I never rip physical discs, I use my computer hard-drive for mostly purchased high resolution PCM and DSD downloads.

I do appreciate people who donate discs to the thrift shops as I can purchase them for usually $1 and the money goes for a good cause.

If you sell or give away your CDs you should delete the rips.

You are quite correct, once one sells or gives away physical discs they lose the right to play any copies they made from them. Too many people right now are ripping and then selling CDs, one of the reasons we can buy them so cheap.

The artist only makes money on the first sale, a single disc can be resold tens to hundreds of times, and if each buyer keeps a copy of the rip they made, that amounts to lots of lost revenue to the artists and recording company. The only reason one should sell or give away a CD is if they don't like the CD and retained no copies of it.

When I buy a physical disc I never rip it, so if I like and keep the disc that is the end of the line for that disc.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

With all the music in the world at our fingertips...

Our own massive collections, Apple Music, Tidal, Qobuz, Bandcamp, Hundreds of sattelite radio channels, who knows how many internet radio channels, and more, all jusr a finger tap away...

I can't find some new music I want to listen to?!

(He says listening to ArchAndroid yet again...:))

Well, my music collection is not massive, I have 79 hours of PCM and DSD music downloads on my computer. And I have 286 hours of music on physical formats (SACDs, HDCDs, CDs, Blu-ray concerts, etc.) Yet I always find something enjoyable to play.

I don't do streaming services or internet radio. I usually discover new music by playing the 30 second or longer samples at sites that sell music.

If by new music, you mean new modern 21st century music, I have not found much I like. I do like these two modern DSD downloads though: Elephant Revival - It's Alive from 2012 and Kan'Nal - Myth Magic from 2008

Since I weed out music I don't like, I do enjoy all the music I've kept. Also, I'm sure it helps that I have almost no short-term memory, making my music usually sound new, fresh and alive.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

I'm even older school than you, I actually keep and play my CDs, HDCDs and SACDs on my Yamaha Blu-ray/SACD player. I never rip physical discs, I use my computer hard-drive for mostly purchased high resolution PCM and DSD downloads.

I do appreciate people who donate discs to the thrift shops as I can purchase them for usually $1 and the money goes for a good cause.

You are quite correct, once one sells or gives away physical discs they lose the right to play any copies they made from them. Too many people right now are ripping and then selling CDs, one of the reasons we can buy them so cheap.

The artist only makes money on the first sale, a single disc can be resold tens to hundreds of times, and if each buyer keeps a copy of the rip they made, that amounts to lots of lost revenue to the artists and recording company. The only reason one should sell or give away a CD is if they don't like the CD and retained no copies of it.

When I buy a physical disc I never rip it, so if I like and keep the disc that is the end of the line for that disc.

When I retired and moved out of my large home in Chicago into a 800 sqft modular in FL, space became a real issue. So at that time I ripped all my CD's and LP's to multi hard drives and sold off the collection. Since then I've become very spoiled being able to access my thousands of albums from the android remote of Clementine while never getting out of the ez chair or deep couch city.

As to the artists royalties, oh well. I was a mechanic and when I repaired your car or motorcycle I got paid for it, once. Not each time the car was sold to a new owner. Very gray area for me. The mp3 users, torrent, p2p, and now the streamers not paying spit to the artists have killed the industry for musicians. The whole system needs a new model.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

As to the artists royalties, oh well. I was a mechanic and when I repaired your car or motorcycle I got paid for it, once. Not each time the car was sold to a new owner. Very gray area for me. The mp3 users, torrent, p2p, and now the streamers not paying spit to the artists have killed the industry for musicians. The whole system needs a new model.
This is a fair point. Artists can't live off the residuals from album sales alone unless they are top 40. For the vast majority of musicians, the best way for people to truly support them is to go to shows and buy merch.

If I am anything, I am a music lover and a pragmatist.

As to the artists royalties, oh well. I was a mechanic and when I repaired your car or motorcycle I got paid for it, once. Not each time the car was sold to a new owner. Very gray area for me.

This is a fair point. Artists can't live off the residuals from album sales alone unless they are top 40. For the vast majority of musicians, the best way for people to truly support them is to go to shows and buy merch.

I don't understand how this is a fair point. A work of art is a durable entity (if properly cared for) with lasting value based in large part on its ongoing and reproducible existence. It can be viewed, read, heard, watched, used, or otherwise enjoyed repeatedly over its lifetime.

A mechanical repair is "work for hire" - it lacks all of those characteristics. On the other hand, if a mechanic makes a video demonstrating and explaining how to carry out a repair, that video is a durable entity with lasting value based on its ongoing and reproducible existence, like any other work of art. The creator of that video has a right to compensation for views and for copies sold - he or she owns the intellectual property rights.

I have David Vizard's books on BMC A-series engine modification, Carroll Smith's books on race prep, etc. I paid for them because they're enduring works with inherent lasting value. But David Vizard only expected to be paid once for working on a customer's engine. I also have a large electronics and audio library. I paid for the excellent book "Building Valve Amplifiers" by Morgan Jones and I've made reference to it many times. But if he were to repair an amp for me, I'd only expect to pay once.

i need Roon for TV.

They tried, but as soon as they hit the Kardashians all hell breaks lose.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I don't understand how this is a fair point. A work of art is a durable entity (if properly cared for) with lasting value based in large part on its ongoing and reproducible existence. It can be viewed, read, heard, watched, used, or otherwise enjoyed repeatedly over its lifetime.

A mechanical repair is "work for hire" - it lacks all of those characteristics. On the other hand, if a mechanic makes a video demonstrating and explaining how to carry out a repair, that video is a durable entity with lasting value based on its ongoing and reproducible existence, like any other work of art. The creator of that video has a right to compensation for views and for copies sold - he or she owns the intellectual property rights.

I have David Vizard's books on BMC A-series engine modification, Carroll Smith's books on race prep, etc. I paid for them because they're enduring works with inherent lasting value. But David Vizard only expected to be paid once for working on a customer's engine. I also have a large electronics and audio library. I paid for the excellent book "Building Valve Amplifiers" by Morgan Jones and I've made reference to it many times. But if he were to repair an amp for me, I'd only expect to pay once.

Just legal positions I don't understand.

Now if you lend that book to a friend and he reads it and gains it's knowledge, or you teach someone the skills you learned, will you collect a royalty and pass it on the author?.

When used book or CD stores sell a item, are they paying royalty fees to anyone?

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Just legal positions I don't understand.

Now if you lend that book to a friend and he reads it and gains it's knowledge, or you teach someone the skills you learned, will you collect a royalty and pass it on the author?.

When used book or CD stores sell a item, are they paying royalty fees to anyone?

That's perfectly reasonable.

Tell me though, if you Xerox that book and give the original to your friend for keeps, does that change things?

Without touching on the moral implications, I am pretty sure doing the above is illegal. RIPing your CDs and then selling the discs is also, I am pretty sure, illegal too.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Tell me though, if you Xerox that book and give the original to your friend for keeps, does that change things?

Without touching on the moral implications, I am pretty sure doing the above is illegal. RIPing your CDs and then selling the discs is also, I am pretty sure, illegal too.

-Paul

Shoot I don't know. This is the stuff the lawyers been arguing for years.

I'm not going to worry about any of that over the used Van Morrison Astral Weeks CD I just bought on ebay and will give to the church store after I rip it.

-Paul

As a lawyer I would be extremely reluctant to issue these sorts of legal "remote diagnoses." Very specific facts can easily change legal outcomes.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'm not going to worry about any of that over the used Van Morrison Astral Weeks CD I just bought on ebay and will give to the church store after I rip it.

I'd want to make sure that CD falls into the hands of someone who will appreciate it (being my favorite album since the dawn of time).

And people wonder why it is hard for artists to earn a living...

Was introduced to the album in the last year or so. It's incredible!

"In Astral Weeks and "T.B. Sheets" he confronted enough for any man's lifetime. Of course, having been offered this immeasurably stirring and equally frightening gift from Morrison, one can hardly be blamed for not caring terribly much about Old, Old Woodstock and little homilies like "You've got to Make It Through This World On Your Own" and "Take It Where You Find It."

*On the other hand, it might also be pointed out that desolation, hurt, and anguish are hardly the only things in life, or in*Astral Weeks. They're just the things, perhaps, that we can most easily grasp and explicate, which I suppose shows about what level our souls have evolved to. I said I wouldn't reduce the other songs on this album by trying to explain them, and I won't. But that doesn't mean that, all thing considered, a juxtaposition of poets might not be in order... "... Lester Bangs :

https://personal.cis.strath.ac.uk/murray.wood/astral.html

+ Richard Davis' bass.

Was introduced to the album in the last year or so. It's incredible!

Want me to burn you a copy? LOL

Maybe you slept through your law school class on USC Title 17?

Nope, he was high. :-)

As a lawyer I would be extremely reluctant to issue these sorts of legal "remote diagnoses." Very specific facts can easily change legal outcomes.

The first example with a book I am sure of, the later with a disc, not so much. It is a murky area, but there are still sharks in the water out there who will zoom in on anyone unable to defend themselves and sue them blind. (*sigh*) I do bow to your far superior instincts on anything legal though. :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

"In Astral Weeks and "T.B. Sheets" he confronted enough for any man's lifetime. Of course, having been offered this immeasurably stirring and equally frightening gift from Morrison, one can hardly be blamed for not caring terribly much about Old, Old Woodstock and little homilies like "You've got to Make It Through This World On Your Own" and "Take It Where You Find It."

*On the other hand, it might also be pointed out that desolation, hurt, and anguish are hardly the only things in life, or in*Astral Weeks. They're just the things, perhaps, that we can most easily grasp and explicate, which I suppose shows about what level our souls have evolved to. I said I wouldn't reduce the other songs on this album by trying to explain them, and I won't. But that doesn't mean that, all thing considered, a juxtaposition of poets might not be in order... "... Lester Bangs :

+ Richard Davis' bass.

Fricken awesome!

Here is a great version for people to download in high resolution- Astral Weeks | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

"In Astral Weeks and "T.B. Sheets" he confronted enough for any man's lifetime. Of course, having been offfered this immeasurably stirring and equally frightening gift from Morrison, one can hardly be blamed for not caring terribly much about Old, Old Woodstock and little homilies like "You've got to Make It Through This World On Your Own" and "Take It Where You Find It."

+ Richard Davis' bass.

From that article:

what it means is Richard Davis's bass playing, which complements the songs and singing all the way with a lyricism that's something more than just great musicianship: there is something about it that more than inspired, something that has been touched, that's in the realm of the miraculous. The whole ensemble - Larry Fallon's string section, Jay Berliner's guitar (he played on Mingus's Black Saint and the Sinner Lady), Connie Kay's drumming - is like that: they and Van sound like they're not just reading but dwelling inside of each other's minds. The facts may be far different. John Cale was making an album of his own in the adjacent studio at the time, and he has said that "Morrison couldn't work with anybody, so finally they just shut him in the studio by himself. He did all the songs with just an acoustic guitar, and later they overdubbed the rest of it around his tapes."

And awhile back I read an interview with bassist Richard Davis where he pretty much confirms this: he said he pretty much didn't have any interaction with Van, he just sat in a room and improvised his bass parts to the voice and guitar. Sort of amazing, because when you listen to the album it does seem like there is some kind of "miraculous" interplay between the musicians, something "inspiring", with true understanding....

Just goes to show you what immensely talented musicians can do when given the chance.

And Chris, it is an incredible album. Been one of my favorites for many years. BTW, the 24/96 release is very high quality.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Maybe you slept through your law school class on USC Title 17?

I took my law school class on copyright from a former Commissioner of the US Patent and Trademark Office, which makes (via regulations and sub-regulatory guidance) and administers copyright law in the United States. In addition, during my professional career I've drawn up intellectual property licensing documents and NDAs under both US and Norwegian law, and acted as counsel in copyright and patent litigations.

Anything else?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.