IGNORED

MQA at CES

I wonder if Auralic got the MQA code from Meridian for their DAC(s) and then decided to incorporate it in 'all their products' without getting an approval first?

As a partner they were likely provided an SDK with functions they could incorporate into their code. They obviously went ahead and did that. The issue here is whether that implementation will earn them the right to call their product MQA certified.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

As a partner they were likely provided an SDK with functions they could incorporate into their code. They obviously went ahead and did that. The issue here is whether that implementation will earn them the right to call their product MQA certified.

You can find some answers here, on their FAQ:

MQA | For playback providers

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

You can find some answers here, on their FAQ:

MQA | For playback providers

Thanks!

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I just downloaded a sample file from 2L and it was showing up on Audirvana+ as 24/44.1. So one can claim better than CD but just barely. I have not listened to it yet. I also looked at pricing for downloads on the 2L website for a recording from them I really like Joachim Kwetzinsky POLYPHONIC DIALOGUES: Shostakovich - Shchedrin.

44.1/16 14$

96/24 19$

MQA 24$

So why would anyone be interested in MQA if it would only play on one's DAC at close to CD quality. I understand the statement end to end for MQA. I am wondering wether any DACs presently owned by customers will be ever able to use MQA. Even if some companies have signed up for MQA it does not mean they can or will do a upgrade for MQA for their current or legacy DACs. If only a firmware upgrade is necessary I could see it happening.

I just downloaded a sample file from 2L and it was showing up on Audirvana+ as 24/44.1. So one can claim better than CD but just barely. I have not listened to it yet. I also looked at pricing for downloads on the 2L website for a recording from them I really like Joachim Kwetzinsky POLYPHONIC DIALOGUES: Shostakovich - Shchedrin.

44.1/16 14$

96/24 19$

MQA 24$

So why would anyone be interested in MQA if it would only play on one's DAC at close to CD quality. I understand the statement end to end for MQA. I am wondering wether any DACs presently owned by customers will be ever able to use MQA. Even if some companies have signed up for MQA it does not mean they can or will do a upgrade for MQA for their current or legacy DACs. If only a firmware upgrade is necessary I could see it happening.

The half million or so full boat Tidal subscribers are more important to MQA than the high rez download crowd. My guess.

I just downloaded a sample file from 2L and it was showing up on Audirvana+ as 24/44.1. So one can claim better than CD but just barely.

Thanks, then I hope this close the discussion about if you get 16 or 24.

However what seems strange to me is that the recording from 1993 with that DAT is also 24 bit. Could you download and verify as well ?

Carl Nielsen: Chaconne op 32

Christian Eggen

http://www.lindberg.no/hires/mqa/2L-120_01_stereo-44k-24b.mqa.flac

As far as I understand that file should be 16 bit, as the original is 16.

http://www.lindberg.no/hires/test/2L-120_stereo-44k-16b_01.zip

Thanks, then I hope this close the discussion about if you get 16 or 24.

Probably not. For example, you can encode an 8 bit file (or an mp3) into 16, 24, or anything you want. The question is not file size or how software/hardware that expects standard PCM encoding (such as Audirvana) reads an MQA file bit depth, but what is actually useful to a standard PCM DAC, and to answer this question you have to comb through the marketing/product speak of Meridian, look at Miska's work, etc.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

I have checked this 2L file with two pieces of software. It is of course 44.1, and is 24 bit. The lowest bit value in it was actually one step above the LSB at -138 db. According to the VST plug-in Bitter from within Reaper, it is 24 bit. Exporting samples using Audacity you have plenty of sample values in the lower few bits of a 24 bit signal. My guess is like someone said, was upsampled to DXD and then turned into MQA. Upsampling would have included some dither of some sort which fits with the least value being one step above the LSB. This file also has very low levels of signal in the upper frequencies even in 44.1 khz form.

Otherwise this thread seems to have spun off its axis, left the rails, gone astray.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Brilliant analysis.

(Of course I was being sarcastic)

There will still be a benefit from the compression and thus it will still be possible that TIDAL will stream high res. A big benefit to subscribers who care about sound quality.

The announcement pertains only to achieving MQA certification. A streamer can still be able to decompress MQA.

+1

Source: TIDAL HiFi/Masters, Pandora One > iPeng 9.2.1 on iPhone6s/iPad

Great Room: SBT#1 > Cullen Coax > PS Audio DL3 DAC > Audio Envy cables > Martin Logan (ML) 200Wpc Purity.

SBT#2 >JVC 110w amp > ML Motion 4 & AudioEngine 5.

Garage: SBT3 > Audioquest TOS > Wyred mINT > Cullen Cables > Martin Logan Motion 12

Carry Anywhere: TIDAL/Pandora >iPhone 6s > Bose Mini Bluetooth speaker.

Bluesound doesn't' look like a dac to me but someone posted their interview here about MQA and Bluesound integration .

Am I missing something or do their devices have a dac ?

I am not aware of any bluesound products that do not have a DAC. The streaming devices all have them any obviously the speakers would have to as well.

I am not aware of any bluesound products that do not have a DAC. The streaming devices all have them any obviously the speakers would have to as well.

Bluesound devices also have digital output which some suggested might be a problem with MQA. No chatter to support that theory at this point.

[h=2][/h]

Correction to previous posting RE: MQA, written by someone not at CES.) During CES, MQA discovered that wireless high-resolution Music Streamers without built-in DACs (i.e., AURALiC’s ARIES, ARIES LE & ARIES MINI) require a slightly different implementation of its technology.

MQA has not yet completed finalizing the definitive version of the technology; no MQA partner has yet to receive the actual final version of this emerging technology, which will be downloadable to any product in the very near future.) Because of this, AURALiC’s original plan to include TIDAL/MQA capability in the v3.0 firmware being issued today will not occur.

Xuanqian Wang

President & CEO

---------------------------

Just so more readable.

Correction to previous posting RE: MQA, written by someone not at CES.) During CES, MQA discovered that wireless high-resolution Music Streamers without built-in DACs (i.e., AURALiC’s ARIES, ARIES LE & ARIES MINI) require a slightly different implementation of its technology.

MQA has not yet completed finalizing the definitive version of the technology; no MQA partner has yet to receive the actual final version of this emerging technology, which will be downloadable to any product in the very near future.) Because of this, AURALiC’s original plan to include TIDAL/MQA capability in the v3.0 firmware being issued today will not occur.

Xuanqian Wang

President & CEO

---------------------------

Just so more readable.

Seems consumers, manufactures, i.e. everyone concerned is being jerked around by Meridian. Rollout of MQA is looking more and more like a fiasco from this seat.