IGNORED

Which one to buy: UpTone USB REGEN or Intona USB Isolator?

FWIW,my Uptone USB Regen also works well with extracted BluRay Video and multi channel .dts Audio , as well as 1920 x 1080 digital TV .ts streams with 5.1 Audio.

Has anybody tried the Intona Isolator with high res. A/V ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

FWIW,my Uptone USB Regen also works well with extracted BluRay Video and multi channel .dts Audio , as well as 1920 x 1080 digital TV .ts streams with 5.1 Audio.

How can a Regen or Intona help a digital video streamed to a digital TV/monitor? Next thing you know your going to claim that ripping a BR or DVD video is better with an Intona or Regen to a HDD.

Let alone you don't stream video via USB 2.0. At least I don't. Usually HDMI or DVI.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

How can a Regen or Intona help a digital video streamed to a digital TV/monitor? Next thing you know your going to claim that ripping a BR or DVD video is better with an Intona or Regen to a HDD.

I am talking here about digital content saved to USB memory etc. being played by a media player such as an Oppo 103 with an HDMI connection to the TV monitor and audio either direct from analogue out of the Oppo 103 or exported by coax SPDIF to a higher quality DAC .

In fact , I AM claiming that multimedia saved to USB memory via a USB Regen with a markedly better PSU than the supplied Meanwell SPMPS wallwart does result in improved audio compared without the USB Regen in line, and is further improved if the Regen is in line for playback.

I don't give a damn whether you believe me or not, and I will not be responding further to YOU on this issue given your never ending sarcasm and hostility to virtually everything I report. As well as which, we are now off topic, and this isn't the thread to discuss these things.

Have a nice day !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Just to further clarify, your not making any claims for the video/picture, just the audio? As you do with CD.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

As long as we are talking about the audio only part of a video. Then yes, I do it all the time, in fact I often remaster videos with hirez or redbook audio. Playback is really no different than audio hirez or redbook by itself. I use JRiver for playback. I prefer 2 channel.

The video gets streamed via HDMI to my monitor. Audio follows it's normal stream to my Hugo via USB 2.0

As long as we are talking about the audio only part of a video. Then yes, I do it all the time, in fact I often remaster videos with hirez or redbook audio. Playback is really no different than audio hirez or redbook by itself. I use JRiver for playback. I prefer 2 channel.

The video gets streamed via HDMI to my monitor. Audio follows it's normal stream to my Hugo via USB 2.0

That's not what I asked. I asked whether anybody had tried the Intona in line when exporting via USB, high res video PLUS high res or multi channel audio. My Uptone Regen will handle 1080P video plus multiplexed multi channel audio.

(I also remaster 4K or 1920 x1080 music videos with the higher bit rate .aac audio (197Kilobits) associated with only 1280 x 720 YouTube videos . I use Freemake Video Downloader and TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 to do this)

That's not what I asked. I asked whether anybody had tried the Intona in line when exporting via USB, high res video PLUS high res or multi channel audio. My Uptone Regen will handle 1080P video plus multiplexed multi channel audio.

(I also remaster 4K or 1920 x1080 music videos with the higher bit rate .aac audio (197Kilobits) associated with only 1280 x 720 YouTube videos . I use Freemake Video Downloader and TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 to do this)

I never do youtube. YouTube is lossy only. 192 kbps is lossy audio, I don't do lossy, ever, Redbook or bettter. Waste of time other than for informational purposes. Really don't see the purpose in running the video thru the Regen. Don't even understand how your doing it, unless using the Regen for data only, non streaming, then what's the purpose? Other than your unproven theory that non streaming data can be altered via USB even though the checksum is the same.

All my video work is done in Adobe Premiere.

Audio in Izotope RX4

The part I put in brackets was an aside ONLY to your remark about remastering Videos.

I also re-encode video formats and audio formats with lossless audio, including re-encoding suitable quality DVD videos to 24 bits Audio where the original was 16/48 LPCM for example.

It's clearly a waste of my time discussing ANYTHING with you .

No but I will. Never thought to try that one. I do download movies onto USB played back into my Cambridge 751.

Interesting the Auckland Audio club had a demo from the Australian distributor of Oppo players and used ripped BR, DVD, CD, SACD material on a USB stick. He claimed it was better sounding than the discs. I did not attend this but thought this was interesting.

I have tried this by using a program called Acrok to rip BR and DVD music tracks but it was unsuccessful. I needed to spend more time fiddling with the rip program settings. I'm always interested in better sound. I managed to rip the sample discs but playback picture was problematic and can't run sound through computer XXhighend which would be better sounding than my Cambridge. It already is way ahead in sound(XXhighend). My Cambridge does not upsample, as the recent models do. My theory would be by using USB material could be better sound than straight off the disc. Anyway if others have played with this would be an interesting path. Putting the Intona in this circuit could well give benefits if it worked.

My recent re ripping my CD's on a new I5 desktop using EAC without Intona has given quite noticeable improvements in sound over old DBpoweramp rips on a laptop. Using the Intona between the USB and music server to load ripped files into it is something I will try. All though I don't want to repeat the process as it takes days.

The better your source music files, the better the sound.

Robert

My recent re ripping my CD's on a new I5 desktop using EAC without Intona has given quite noticeable improvements in sound over old DBpoweramp rips on a laptop.

Robert

Are you able to compare the .md5 checksums of the same tracks on the I5 desktop with those of the laptop ?

Many of my earlier rips to .wav on an old Pentium 4 in 2008 and 2009, and saved on the repurposed old "C" HDD sound quite lacklustre compared with recent rips of the same material.

Alex

Slightly unrelated enquiry from a non technical individual. when i stream hifi lossless from tidal which speed low, full or high is the audio data transfer taking place via usb? could you therefore use any galvanic isolator with the Mutec 1.2 if it is not high speed? i don't fully understand why the usb high speed capability of the intona i.e to provide galvanic isolation at this high speed makes it unique in this regard and what makes this function so attractive for audiophiles?

Hi, since two weeks I use JCat USB Isolator - it is in fact Intona inside, but in nicely build aluminium cage. I use it with my Lampizator DAC and Dell laptop (i7,audio only, Daphile). Happy with the improvement! With Rega there is a small nuance I've heard. They cut the computer port to 16/48. That saying, it seems to be reasonable to buy USB/S-Pdif converter. Might improve too.

Hi, since two weeks I use JCat USB Isolator - it is in fact Intona inside, but in nicely build aluminium cage. I use it with my Lampizator DAC and Dell laptop (i7,audio only, Daphile). Happy with the improvement! With Rega there is a small nuance I've heard. They cut the computer port to 16/48. That saying, it seems to be reasonable to buy USB/S-Pdif converter. Might improve too.

Thank you for the information. I believe you are talking about the original Rega DAC. It's USB port was limited to 16/48, and was not asynchronous.

The current Rega DAC R has an asynchronous USB port that goes up to 24/192.

I just ordered the Jcat version of the Intona industrial. Has anyone tried the Intona with Audioquest Jitterbugs? I have one Jitterbug in series, and another in parallel. I used both of them with the ifi IUSB3 that I had, with good results.

I am wondering if the Jitterbugs might work against the Intona and possibly harm the sound.

someone over on headfi states that its important that the power supply supplying the dac be galvanically isolated downstream of the intona. he also said this could only be done with the uptone lps1 or a battery. in my situation my modimulti bit dac as far as i understand uses a wallwart in conjunction with an internal 100% lps. am i ok here with the intona? also schitt say that only their own power supply can be used with the dac?

also schitt say that only their own power supply can be used with the dac?

Most manufacturers make that statement which is completely understandable. But that does not stop us from experimenting at our own risk. I use a Channel Island VAC-1 with my Modi MB and it is fine, granted overkill.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

Can you confirm the intona works well with the modi multibit. the reason i ask is that i read a post which states a requirement of the dac's power supply is to also be galvanically isolated when using the intona. this is a problem as i do not want to change the psu of my dac due to the manufacturer saying so and as a newcomer to this area. thanks photonman

Can you confirm the intona works well with the modi multibit. the reason i ask is that i read a post which states a requirement of the dac's power supply is to also be galvanically isolated when using the intona. this is a problem as i do not want to change the psu of my dac due to the manufacturer saying so and as a newcomer to this area. thanks photonman

No, I cannot as I do not have an Intona (would love to try one) but I did have a REGEN. But what I do is to use use my Teradak U9 LPS to supply the 5V to the USB which takes care of the clean power to the USB but nothing in regards to what the REGEN and Intona are doing with the data.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

i need the usb isolator to solve me problems of pops and clicks that happens sometimes (when they happen - its terrible).

i'm using MOTU Ultralite AVB Sound card which has his own power supply - this sound card is a USB 2 HIGH SPEED Device and a DELL M4800 Laptop.

Questions:

1. Your USB Isolator will fit to my Soundcard?

2. Do you really think it will eliminate the clicks and pops and the data fails?

3.Do you think AC Power Coordinator like Furman or Samson will help?

4.I may change my Sound Card 12VDC PSU to linear Power Supply,Do you think its needed if i buy the AC Power Coordinator?

Please answer me in detail as more as you can,tell me your professional advise, it is really important to me

I'm hoping to add the industrial version to my system very soon. i did email schitt audio to ask about the suitability of the intona for my modi multibit dac. the response i got was; 'It is an internal lps. It cannot be galvanically isolated because it is the power supply.' this is very basic stuff but can anyone make sense of this reply please. i thought the point was to isolate the dac fully including the in built in linear power supply? many thanks

I'm hoping to add the industrial version to my system very soon. i did email schitt audio to ask about the suitability of the intona for my modi multibit dac. the response i got was; 'It is an internal lps. It cannot be galvanically isolated because it is the power supply.' this is very basic stuff but can anyone make sense of this reply please. i thought the point was to isolate the dac fully including the in built in linear power supply? many thanks

Galvanic isolation is the principle of isolating functional sections of electrical systems to prevent current flow; no direct conduction path is permitted. Energy or information can still be exchanged between the sections by other means, such as capacitance, induction or electromagnetic waves, or by optical, acoustic or mechanical means. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_isolation)

The Intona galvanically (electrically) isolates a USB-DAC from the USB-connection of (e.g.) a PC by means of capacitance. The Intona doesn't galvanically isolate in any way the main power supply of the Modi multibit, which is not the USB connection, but comes from a 16V (AC) wall-wart PS feeding the internal LPS.

Basically it's true that the internal LPS of the Modi multibit cannot be galvanically isolated from the DAC because it provides the final DC power. But this is a non-answer to a wrong question. Note that the built in LPS is galvanically isolated from AC mains power by the 16V wall-wart transformer by means of induction.