IGNORED

Which one to buy: UpTone USB REGEN or Intona USB Isolator?

so in the case of a mains powered dac it will not need the clean power supplied on the isolated side, but the intona will still be of benefit to the dac as it offers isolation from the usb 2.0 bus?, i.e. being cut off from the 'noisy' computer. the issue regarding the internal modi's lps now makes sense.

Everyone says closer to dac, i.e pc to intona to dac. the shorter usb from intona to dac the better. with regards to the intona everyone talks about the benefit to the dac. what happens if you use a combined amp/dac unit. would the intona still be useful here or could it interfere with the function of the amp for eg. i haven't read anything about this if anyone can help. cheers

Everyone says closer to dac, i.e pc to intona to dac. the shorter usb from intona to dac the better. with regards to the intona everyone talks about the benefit to the dac. what happens if you use a combined amp/dac unit. would the intona still be useful here or could it interfere with the function of the amp for eg. i haven't read anything about this if anyone can help. cheers
forgot to add.

Im using a small system centred around an earmax pro tube amp. i'm also considering around spring to upgrade to something like a sennheiser amp/dac h800s. the earmax pro excels at jazz, vocals, instrumentals, classical etc. However for electronic, reggae, rnb, more bass heavy stuff i feel i need something else hence an upgrade. with regards to the intona is there a way to connect the isolated side of the intona to two dacs at once? i searched for a usb A to twin B but i don't think such things exist. is the only way then to manually switch the connection depending on which system i'm listening to. if two intona's is the only way would not having one on standby and the other active not cause power deficiencies. surely there must be a simple way here not involving paying for a second intona. thanks to all.

I vote Intona! Just added Intona between Mac Mini with Amarra and Yggy. Using the industrial version with Audioquest Carbon cable. Results are great! Installation was basically plug and play, just had to restart the Mac and point to the Yggy in System Preferences/Sound. Noise floor lowered substantially, and I have to admit that I didn't realize the floor was there until now. I just plugged in yesterday, so I'm looking forward to several hours of listening today.

This is in sharp contrast to my experience with USB Regen a year ago. As I posted then, I did not find it helpful in front of a Meridian Director DAC (compared to AQVOX).

Intona in Jcat clothing:

USBIsolatorCart.jpg

JCAT USB Isolator | JPLAY

Same price as intona? Or double in price?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

strange question. is it possible to connect the usb cable leaving the device side of the intona in to a mini type usb c port on a portable dac like the meridian explorer 2? ie galvanically isolate a small portable type dac.

That would be interesting. But it might also need to get power from?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

I have 4 usb ports on my imac. can i plug 4 power hungry devices into them simultaneously. eg 2 intonas, hard drive, usb dac, all at once with no impact on imac or on performance of devices?

"No impact" is a subjective term--compared to what? You'd get dramatically better sound quality by putting the same amount of money into a single DAC instead of three. But leaving that aside, and assuming you seek to run only one DAC at a time, this should be no problem and you probably will not be sacrificing much if anything in terms of sound quality compared to having the two idle DACs unplugged. You simply point to the DAC you'd like to use for Output under Sound in System Preferences. (Just to be clear, I do not think you'd be able to power multiple DACs simultaneously.) Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the silly question guys but I understand the Intona is powered directly by the same USB port from the computer, right?

And I also understand that many folks here are plugging in an additional device to "purify" the power coming from the computer.

But if the Intona provides galvanic isolation why would I need to clean the input power? Isn't that what the Intona does in the first place??

NUC10i7 Roon ROCK > EtherREGEN > Lumin U1 Mini > Chord DAVE > Focal Utopia 

Sorry for the silly question guys but I understand the Intona is powered directly by the same USB port from the computer, right?

And I also understand that many folks here are plugging in an additional device to "purify" the power coming from the computer.

But if the Intona provides galvanic isolation why would I need to clean the input power? Isn't that what the Intona does in the first place??

You don't need to add anything before the Intona. The Intona stops the noisy 5 volts coming from the computer USB, and sends a new clean 5 volt supply to the DAC. You can experiment putting an Audioquest Jitterbug on the computer's USB port, but it is not necessary.

And yes, the Intona provides galvanic isolation from the computer. I have the Jcat version of the Intona. I recommend it strongly for anyone using a computer as a server (I use a Mac Mini). I had the ifi iUSB3 for several months before the Jcat/Intona. It is good and improves the sound, but the Jcat/Intona is much better (in my system).

You don't need to add anything before the Intona. The Intona stops the noisy 5 volts coming from the computer USB, and sends a new clean 5 volt supply to the DAC. You can experiment putting an Audioquest Jitterbug on the computer's USB port, but it is not necessary.

And yes, the Intona provides galvanic isolation from the computer. I have the Jcat version of the Intona. I recommend it strongly for anyone using a computer as a server (I use a Mac Mini). I had the ifi iUSB3 for several months before the Jcat/Intona. It is good and improves the sound, but the Jcat/Intona is much better (in my system).

That's what I thought, thanks! By Jcat you mean the industrial version? why would this be any better thn the normal one? I undertsand that the advantage is only a higher voltage protection?

Thanks a lot!

NUC10i7 Roon ROCK > EtherREGEN > Lumin U1 Mini > Chord DAVE > Focal Utopia 

That's what I thought, thanks! By Jcat you mean the industrial version? why would this be any better thn the normal one? I undertsand that the advantage is only a higher voltage protection?

Thanks a lot!

The Jcat USB isolator is the industrial version of the Intona. It is the exact same board. The only difference is the case. Jcat puts the Intona industrial board into a nicer aluminum case. It has been reported by users that the industrial version sounds better than the normal Intona.

JCAT USB Isolator | JPLAY

I can hear the effect of different power supplies feeding the Intona (injected via split USB cable).

Also by injecting a separate power source you are reducing draw on the server.

... and if possible connecting only the 2 data wires to the server massively increases isolation.

just my 2p based on experience.

You don't need to add anything before the Intona. The Intona stops the noisy 5 volts coming from the computer USB, and sends a new clean 5 volt supply to the DAC.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Hi I have Metrum acoustics Pavane DAC with integrated and internal powered M2Tech XMOS USB module. What would be in this case benefit in I put some “re-clocking gadget” between USB and DAC? Whether these gadgets are more suitable for situations, where USB is powered by computer (and therefore for “cleaning up” the USB audio chain).

I also did some “investigation” around DAC manufactures about to integrate this gadgets (in not for powering USB cable) at least for decreasing packet errors and jitter and the answer was that this will not help as jitter is around 400 femto second.

What are your opinions of using these gadgets with more “hi-end” DACs? Many of them reclock the digital signal internally before feeding it to the DAC chips. Maybe my DAC also? (see Metrum Pavane NOS DAC philosophy)

Hi I have Metrum acoustics Pavane DAC with integrated and internal powered M2Tech XMOS USB module. What would be in this case benefit in I put some “re-clocking gadget” between USB and DAC? Whether these gadgets are more suitable for situations, where USB is powered by computer (and therefore for “cleaning up” the USB audio chain).

I also did some “investigation” around DAC manufactures about to integrate this gadgets (in not for powering USB cable) at least for decreasing packet errors and jitter and the answer was that this will not help as jitter is around 400 femto second.

What are your opinions of using these gadgets with more “hi-end” DACs? Many of them reclock the digital signal internally before feeding it to the DAC chips. Maybe my DAC also? (see Metrum Pavane NOS DAC philosophy)

Well I just checked, my DAC has FPGA based Forward Correction Module, splitting the 24-bit digital signal into two 12-bit streams before actual conversion to analogue takes place. The FPGA works at a 400MHz clock speed and applies the algorithm Metrum Acoustics uses for this technology, so what (regarding to my previously writing) would be the benefit of reclocking the signal (with special reclocing gadget) before it enters the DAC?

What would be in this case benefit in I put some “re-clocking gadget” between USB and DAC? Thundermac

I have an Intona and would strongly suggest you borrow one or other devices(reclocking) and listen before buying for at least a week or more.

I'm undecided on the Industrial Intona as it does some good things but takes something away from the sound. I have found this in the past for such add ons as power filters. I end up discarding them in the end. Initially they can appear to improve things but after comparison prove not to be a benefit. It should all be done in the DAC design.

Robert

if your dac is mains powered does that mean it does not need the 5v from intona? maybe just for the handshake? in this case does the dac just benefit from the isolation only.

If the DAC has built in galvanic isolation it will need the 5Vbus (warning, not all galvanic isolations are equal). Also some DAC's power up on being flashed the 5Vbus. Some DAC's are powered from the 5Vbus. Handshake is thru the ground.

What kind of isolation?? Uptone's power isolation with the LPS-1 or/and Intona's USB isolation or/and thru networking/Ethernet, MicroRendu? All are good, pick your path.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)