IGNORED

Which one to buy: UpTone USB REGEN or Intona USB Isolator?

I find, whenever possible, use a USB adapter for best SQ for the $$$. See my workflow in my Signature below.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

All this chaining prompts me to ask: where are we in the progress of making the USB interfaces within DACs more robust?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

All this chaining prompts me to ask: where are we in the progress of making the USB interfaces within DACs more robust?

A $1000 teac NT503 has true galvanic usb isolation and supports ethernet and usb and 4xDSD. I would hope that nothing over $500 in future dacs would require any special "usb toys".

Isolated Grounds for Digital and Analog Sections [TABLE=width: 618]

[TR]

[TD]nt-503_interior.jpg[/TD]

[TD]Between the digital and analog sections, the NT-503 employs a Digital Isolator to completely isolate each power supply path and the ground. All digital noise from digital sources, particularly a PC plugged into the USB input, is prevented from entering the analog section through a power supply path or the ground. An isolation circuit offers significant benefit particularly when playing back Hi-Res Audio sources that have higher sampling frequency.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Is that the question, or is the question where are we in the progress of making USB sources more robust?

My belief is that the damage is already done when the signal leaves the source device. There is only so much that can be remediated downstream.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

>>>Which one to buy: UpTone USB REGEN or Intona USB Isolator

Neither, buy a modern dac that has this technology built into their dac.

Easy to say, but hard to prove. Not all galvanic isolation is equal. I wouldn't trust what the manufacturer claims.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Is that the question, or is the question where are we in the progress of making USB sources more robust?

My belief is that the damage is already done when the signal leaves the source device. There is only so much that can be remediated downstream.

No, I was really asking about the DAC's USB interface, at reception.

The approaches are not mutually exclusive, especially if you are using a usual USB (analogue) cable in between.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Easy to say, but hard to prove. Not all galvanic isolation is equal. I wouldn't trust what the manufacturer claims.

harder to prove the "toys".

it would be easier for me to believe when teac says:

All digital noise from digital sources is prevented from entering the analog section

than "small shop" claims...

jmo

That Teac has opto-couplers between the analogue and digtal section – not at the front of the UBS bord. Quite different to what Intona is doing.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

harder to prove the "toys".

it would be easier for me to believe when teac says:

All digital noise from digital sources is prevented from entering the analog section

than "small shop" claims...

jmo

I definitely wouldn't drink the koolaid from manufacturing sales claims. Individual comparisons would be far more credible.

Are you saying and are you qualified to claim that what Intona is doing provides better isolation and better sq than TEAC?
I would say he does. Especially if he has first hand experience.

Are you saying and are you qualified to claim that what Intona is doing provides better isolation and better sq than TEAC?

Well I didn't get that implication from what Freann wrote. I thought Freann was saying the Teac implementation for their isolation solution was between digital/analogue stages. The Intona one is isolating within the Digital stage, I.e a different implementation of their solution contained solely within a digital stage. I also didn't get any impression they were implying better isolation or better sound quality?

But I am sure Freann will answer for themselves....

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

Wouldn't it be better to convert USB to spdif optical. That way you will have perfect galvanic isolation.

No such thing.

Nothing is perfect, everything has it's drawbacks. USB offers a one for all format Hi Rez ability. Maybe needs a bit more effort for clean sound, but worth every penny which I don't doubt surpasses spdif optical when implemented correctly.

Any suggestion where to buy a male/male USB A/B solid adapter plug, like the one that ships with the Regen?

No luck at Monoprice or Amazon.

A short reference grade audiophile USB cable is far better than that adapter! My 0.75m Diamond USB cable makes so much more difference that the adapter itself...

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

A short reference grade audiophile USB cable is far better than that adapter! My 0.75m Diamond USB cable makes so much more difference that the adapter itself...

Some have claimed the opposite. So rather than argue, I plan to listen.

I'll have a Curious 0.2m, Cardas Clear 2m, Lightspeed 2G 1m, and now this adapter.

I'll go in with open mind and ears and see what emerges.

Some have claimed the opposite. So rather than argue, I plan to listen.

I'll have a Curious 0.2m, Cardas Clear 2m, Lightspeed 2G 1m, and now this adapter.

I'll go in with open mind and ears and see what emerges.

That's exactly what I'm suggesting... Instead of arguing, give it a listen! :)

P.S. Do tell us your findings!

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

A couple of questions about these three products: Intona, Regen, and iUSB3.

1) Am I correct in that Intona isolates the USB power & signal from the source\ power supply noise and that the UltraCap LPS-1 isolates the powered component (e.g., Regen) from the AC mains noise? So the combination of Intona + Regen w/ LPS-1 should be electrically as isolated as possible from sources of noise?

2) I've read comments by others who prefer iUSB3 over Regen or Intona alone and that Regen + Intona is better than either alone, but how does Regen + Intona compare with iUSB3? Is iUSB3 + Intona better than either alone?