IGNORED

Which one to buy: UpTone USB REGEN or Intona USB Isolator?

lovely job Abtr.

Asking and reading up on RFI EMI...

A layer of copper foil inside or if you fancy MU metal as well. From what I can gather the case will act as a faraday cage / shield NP. But some frequencies are blocked by different materials/ metals. EMI can be shaped around by the ferrous metals not blocked.

why I am suggesting copper inside ..if you want to try, experiment.??. I missed my case today bloody UPS.

I and going all in and try 3 maybe 3. It's a test so why not. I will google steel tape....

Thanks for doing this mate hopefully we can add a bit O learning to the site.. An expert opinion would be nice ..Small interest from headfi and SBAF....

A description in your words on what you hear different. ATM mines more detail and Holographic not a giant leap but there...

The wife's out... so sorry for rambling ..

Dave

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

lovely job Abtr.

Asking and reading up on RFI EMI...

A layer of copper foil inside or if you fancy MU metal as well. From what I can gather the case will act as a faraday cage / shield NP. But some frequencies are blocked by different materials/ metals. EMI can be shaped around by the ferrous metals not blocked.

why I am suggesting copper inside ..if you want to try, experiment.??. I missed my case today bloody UPS.

I and going all in and try 3 maybe 3. It's a test so why not. I will google steel tape....

Thanks for doing this mate hopefully we can add a bit O learning to the site.. An expert opinion would be nice ..Small interest from headfi and SBAF....

A description in your words on what you hear different. ATM mines more detail and Holographic not a giant leap but there...

The wife's out... so sorry for rambling ..

Dave

I wear a tin foil hat to reduce emi interference while listening to music '

Arr come on Horneytoad, it's always going to be in your head unless someone can hookup a scope who knows what they are doing....

Most to the expensive purchases here are done on mass approval. This is a general experiment and not cost more than £20 and that's me seeing if there is any more benefit... Just seeing if a sensitive bit of kit in a plastic box benefits. Not a load of paranoid audiophoolery.... A bit of learning fun...

To be fair you should try if it works for you.....Then. ... We ain't going mad....?

Arr come on Horneytoad, it's always going to be in your head unless someone can hookup a scope who knows what they are doing....

Most to the expensive purchases here are done on mass approval. This is a general experiment and not cost more than £20 and that's me seeing if there is any more benefit... Just seeing if a sensitive bit of kit in a plastic box benefits. Not a load of paranoid audiophoolery.... A bit of learning fun...

To be fair you should try if it works for you.....Then. ... We ain't going mad....[emoji44]

My tin foil hat also protects me from the aliens that

have invaded our planet and are now controlling our minds .

Paranoid : yes !! Audiophile-No !!

I am using the Intona as a first test for shielding. I want to try some stuff on my LPS...Compartmentalize the AC DC sections. Tips from the experts on DIYAUDIO...

Don't believe everything posted in DIY Audio either. You need a very transparent system to hear improvements of this magnitude.(if any)

That's not to say that some of the suggestions aren't technically correct though, but you will normally need to do a lot of work to get to the point where such minor improvements become verifiably audible.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Don't believe everything posted in DIY Audio either. You need a very transparent system to hear improvements of this magnitude.(if any)

That's not to say that some of the suggestions aren't technically correct though, but you will normally need to do a lot of work to get to the point where such minor improvements become verifiably audible.

I would rather wear my tin foil hat for audible improvement .

Abtr nice!

What did you use to stand off the board?

Thanks. :cool: I used 3 small wooden bars, glued to the aluminium plate with super glue. The PCB is mounted on the bars with the original screws.

Note that I used a Hammond 1590BX casing of 254 x 70 x 51mm. There is also a lower version of that box of 254 x 70 x 35mm (part number 1590BX2 or in black 1590BX2BK):

1590BX2_Rs.jpg

1590BX2_Us.jpg

A few tips on shielding in general.

Electric field shielding works by the external field causing electrons in the conductor (the shield) to move, thus generating an electric field in the conductor that opposes the external field. Note the term "moving electrons", this means a current, so shielding happens when current is allowed to flow in the conductor. What do we know about current? It always flows in loops, no loop, no current.

A faraday cage works by allowing this current to flow, it is a seamless conductor surrounding the shielded device. A bunch of conductive plates (or pieces of aluminum foil) will only work if they are electrically connected all over the interfaces.

(BTW this requirement for current loops for shielding to be effective means that almost all shielded cables are not built right, but that is another story)

So a single diecast aluminum box with a metal lid that is electrically connected to the rim of the box meets the requirements nicely.

Magnetic shielding works similarly except it relies on the movement of magnetic domains to provide the opposing magnetic field. Thus substances like mu metal work such that magnetic domains are easily moved under an applied magnetic field.

The problem is that many high permeability magnetic materials are lousy electrical conductors so don't work well as electric field shields, so you need BOTH, high conductivity shield and high permeability magnetic shield.

There IS a way to do both at the same time, THICK aluminum or copper (aluminum is a LOT cheaper than copper!) Thick aluminum (at least 1/4" preferably thicker) has a low enough resistance that externally applied magnetic fields cause eddy currents to flow which generate opposing magnetic fields. So the thick aluminum does both at the same time. But you still need to have conduction between edges of the plates.

So a diecast aluminum box with 1/4" sides will be great, but I don't know of any that are commercially made. If building your own out of thick plates make sure that anodized surfaces don't get in the way of conduction between plates.

BTW copper is not inherently better than aluminum, it just has higher conductivity, so you need a thicker piece of aluminum to equal a particular thickness of copper. The aluminum will be cheaper and lighter than the copper. But maybe not as impressive.

John S.

Hey thanks for chipping in Mr S.

This just was a small experiment for a non shielded PCB. The cases we got are about 3mm thick but never realised the anodising wouldn't cause a connection... A bit of fine sanding. .. I won't be anal and lap the case flat too soft....

Thanks.for making us feel we aren't wasting our time doing this... I hope?

Copper and MU coming the weekend. Been a fun experiment but the blind leading the blind... But some success. .

Thank you for posting

Kind Regards

Dave

Do you see John Swenson's USB Regen in a 1/4"thick aluminium case ?

Perhaps it doesn't need it, just like many other well designed electronic products don't need to go to such extremes !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

I suppose that's what they mean by a bullet proof design.... I am not advocating or advising anything Sandyk or stating anything as factual.

£20 I spend on a Chinese meal made me I'll last week.. .. £20 on a box a bit of tape and tin foil has got me and a few others thinking and having a bit of fun trying something different.... And I wouldn't want anyone to get the impression otherwise.... Most tests here start from 10 people agreeing something is good and dropping $200+. I only mentioned kitchen foil?.

I really hope the subtle changes we have heard are real and can be improved on... But if not then everyone has at least learned something. . even just not to try, as it is a waste of time but not spending hundreds to find out....

We did want to subvert expert insight and thanks to John again for 'learning us better'

The biggest gain I have had was a fuse.. so go figure.. Cables did nothing The intona very little and LPS a small change but not in John's league...

I maybe a fool but not a fool for trying....

I would like 'don't bother because of.'..

Not just don't bother....

No offence to anyone here I come here to gain insight and experience and hopefully pass some back to the community..

Techniques like these are best used with high gain analogue preamplifiers such as RIAA Phono Preamps etc.

Die cast aluminium cases are also great for very low noise preamplifiers or where you may need extra heat dissipation for an internal voltage regulator(s). Mu Metal or a piece of steel used as a shield between a transformer and nearby sensitive electronics may also be useful. Even a piece of copper clad PCB used for making PCBs can be useful for additional screening in high gain Preamps etc. as shown in the photo at the attached link.

Note also John's comment about scaping away the anodising in rack cases etc., when panels are bolted together in order to achieve full shielding and low resistance earthing.

Regards

Alex

K5513 - Silicon Chip Magazine Preamp RIAA Shortform Kit - Altronics