IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

conqubite - looks like a cool LPS, but I don't know what I'm looking at in terms of design and function.  Is your unit's design based upon a commercial model that is available for purchase?  Last time I used a soldering iron I splattered solder and burnt myself...was a danger to those around me!

Michal shared that a good external LPS would firm up the lower register and that many customers and dealers appreciated the sonic improvements of an LPS.

Tone with Soul

10 minutes ago, 57gold said:

conqubite - looks like a cool LPS, but I don't know what I'm looking at in terms of design and function.  Is your unit's design based upon a commercial model that is available for purchase?  Last time I used a soldering iron I splattered solder and burnt myself...was a danger to those around me!

Michal shared that a good external LPS would firm up the lower register and that many customers and dealers appreciated the sonic improvements of an LPS.

Why didn't he put a good linear supply in the Brooklyn instead of that switcher? Or at least a better designed switcher since you always hear about how switching supplies can be made to be as good as linear supplies?

33 minutes ago, 57gold said:

I had someone who made it for me because i can't do it myself. It's made of a good but well known and more often used print together with al first class and expensive components. The maker is also making this...

But I'm no expert so I can not say much more than this. 

labjr, you'd have to ask Michal on the power supply choice, but I suspect that he was designing to a price point.

As it stands the Brooklyn and its predecessor, the DSD192, have more high quality features than most any other DAC - preamp, phono stage, quality analog attenuator, femtoclock, headphone amp, and about every input/output under the sun...for a reasonable cost.  

Tone with Soul

5 minutes ago, 57gold said:

labjr, you'd have to ask Michal on the power supply choice, but I suspect that he was designing to a price point.

As it stands the Brooklyn and its predecessor, the DSD192, have more high quality features than most any other DAC - preamp, phono stage, quality analog attenuator, femtoclock, headphone amp, and about every input/output under the sun...for a reasonable cost.  

Also dual voltage support is easier for switching. 

On 11/09/2017 at 12:50 AM, kylevuong said:

Hi guys,

I’m another happy customer of Mytek Brooklyn.

I got it for over a month, replacing Bel Canto DAC 3.5MKII + RefLink combo, which is serving me quite well.

The reason for the upgrade is to minimize the components, and I’ve been collecting quite a bit of DSD music.

My set up is Mac Mini (late 2012, quad-core, 500ssd), running Roon Core, music library was stored in separate NAS.

Amplifier is Leben CS600 driving a pair of Harbeth SHL5+. The Mytek Brooklyn is working as a standalone DAC. It has been used for a few months so there is no burning process required. I also bought a SBooster Power Supply to use with the Mytek.

In the first 2 weeks, I use connect Mac Mini straight to Brooklyn via Curious USB Cable. The sound is excellent. I already sold the Bel Canto DAC however it’s waiting to be picked up, that’s why I had chance to compare them side by side. The Mytek to me is in another league. I don’t know how to describe how good it is in terms of technical thing but I really like its sound.

After 2, 3 weeks, I use MicroRendu as a Roon endpoint, and I notice a significant improvement in sound quality. The sound is outstanding much much more better. I can’t believe this little device is a game-changer for my digital music life. I wish I know about NAA (network audio adapter) earlier instead of direct usb connection.

Anyway, I’m experiencing some issues while using the Mytek Brooklyn that I want to ask for some experience:

1. Can I leave the Mytek Brooklyn on 24/24 rather than turning on and off every time? I already set the screen to turn off display after 5 secs.
  2. When switching to Analogue input, there is quite a loud hum/buzz (volume is always set at 0db, the hum reduced when I set the volume to -30db, however it also applies to other inputs which I don’t want). I’m using Clearaudio Concept turntable with Dynavector 20x2H cartridge (moving coil - 2.8mV). Is there any way to reduce the hum? Earth ground is connected on the Mytek and I have no problem with my other phono stage.
  3. When should I use the gain jumper? (in the manual there is only a small section about it so I’m not really sure).

I would be much appreciated if you guys can share with me some experience so I can use the Mytek Brooklyn effectively.

Can you give more detail on why the microrendu is better than the Mac? I am thinking of making the same change to a sonore or Aries from MacBook Pro.

Last week got a Brooklyn Dac+ and have a linear PSU on order.

Really impressed by the Dac+ with all sources. Have streamed Tidal from my Macbook and Masters and MQA all "just works like expected" and sounds great.

So, next step. I need a streamer for Tidal duties and want it to passthrough the MQA to the Brooklyn Dac+.

Sort of like the chap in the post above!

I was going to go for an Aries Mini with LPSU after reading everything I can, and I still might go for it as it will work easily. It sounds like it can bettered though.

I'm aware that an SOTM sms-200 will sound better, and I'd put a LPSU on that too. I looked at MicroRendu but it seems consensus is the SOTM might have the edge on it really.

So, my question is, can I have an "it works nice and easily" with the SOTM sms-200? Can someone explain the various options of how I can play Tidal using it. I want to be able to surf and play music on my iPad and on my Macbook.

I know one route is to run Roon, and I have a server in my house already that the server side of it could be installed on (I assume the data doesn't much flow through the server itself, it's just gotta be a presence on the network right?).

Which other options (apps) are there which don't require the extra cost of Roon, are there some which people will say "you set the sms-200 to xxxx mode", "install the app on your macbook or ipad", "select the sms-200 and that's it, ready to go". Do any solutions work like that.

If someone could outline in idiots terms the different ways it is possible to get Tidal running through the sms-200 that would be great!!!

Brooklyn+ in the house.  Replaced a Stereo DSD192, one of the first made that has seen very heavy usage for past 6+ years.

Initial listening is pretty impressive.  Using HQPlayer to up convert PCM files to DSD128, suing the Mytek included USB cable (no FW on this unit), stock power supply using a Virtual Dynamics power cable that I bought for my old Wadia 861i, balanced out with analog volume control (don't own a pre amp).  

Across the board improvement - more coherent presentation, more body with quickness, and a significant reduction in high frequency edge versus the DSD192.  Really digging the improved clarity in reproduction of the percussion instruments, the clean shimmer and ring of the cymbals.  Piano work of Brad Mehldau on Peter Bernstein's new live album sounds so natural and John Abercrombie's guitar on Within a Song swirls with details I had previously missed. 

Will seem how it rocks in the AM.  Cocktail/jazz hour now in Tampa.

Also curious as to how an AQ Coffee sounds versus the stock USB cable and how this baby will break in.

Tone with Soul

I just got my Brooklyn DAC+ and Brooklyn Amp in today.  Hooked up in my system cooking away on Roon Radio.  Setup with Transparent Audio Plus balanced cables (MM2) between them.  Seven hours in and I am thinking there is something here.  Will know in a few days.  The existing Brooklyn DAC will go in my Computer desktop system as soon as I get some more balanced cables for my studio monitors.......

15 hours ago, 57gold said:

Brooklyn+ in the house.  Replaced a Stereo DSD192, one of the first made that has seen very heavy usage for past 6+ years.

Initial listening is pretty impressive.  Using HQPlayer to up convert PCM files to DSD128, suing the Mytek included USB cable (no FW on this unit), stock power supply using a Virtual Dynamics power cable that I bought for my old Wadia 861i, balanced out with analog volume control (don't own a pre amp).  

Across the board improvement - more coherent presentation, more body with quickness, and a significant reduction in high frequency edge versus the DSD192.  Really digging the improved clarity in reproduction of the percussion instruments, the clean shimmer and ring of the cymbals.  Piano work of Brad Mehldau on Peter Bernstein's new live album sounds so natural and John Abercrombie's guitar on Within a Song swirls with details I had previously missed. 

Will seem how it rocks in the AM.  Cocktail/jazz hour now in Tampa.

Also curious as to how an AQ Coffee sounds versus the stock USB cable and how this baby will break in.

Try using that AQ Coffee with a Schiit Eitr the Diamond is even better. The Coffee does give you about 85% of the Diamond the improvement from the Diamond is due to solid silver conductors.

On 12/17/2017 at 1:25 PM, mfin said:

Last week got a Brooklyn Dac+ and have a linear PSU on order.

Really impressed by the Dac+ with all sources. Have streamed Tidal from my Macbook and Masters and MQA all "just works like expected" and sounds great.

So, next step. I need a streamer for Tidal duties and want it to passthrough the MQA to the Brooklyn Dac+.

Sort of like the chap in the post above!

I was going to go for an Aries Mini with LPSU after reading everything I can, and I still might go for it as it will work easily. It sounds like it can bettered though.

I'm aware that an SOTM sms-200 will sound better, and I'd put a LPSU on that too. I looked at MicroRendu but it seems consensus is the SOTM might have the edge on it really.

So, my question is, can I have an "it works nice and easily" with the SOTM sms-200? Can someone explain the various options of how I can play Tidal using it. I want to be able to surf and play music on my iPad and on my Macbook.

I know one route is to run Roon, and I have a server in my house already that the server side of it could be installed on (I assume the data doesn't much flow through the server itself, it's just gotta be a presence on the network right?).

Which other options (apps) are there which don't require the extra cost of Roon, are there some which people will say "you set the sms-200 to xxxx mode", "install the app on your macbook or ipad", "select the sms-200 and that's it, ready to go". Do any solutions work like that.

If someone could outline in idiots terms the different ways it is possible to get Tidal running through the sms-200 that would be great!!!

Another option besides MicroRendu, Aeries Mini, SoTm200 would be to look at the Aurender N100H or the Auralic G2 or original Aries Bridge. 

The Aurender and Auralic products don’t need any additional Music Playback and Streaming SW w/ associated fees, they’re both “set it and forget it”, since they come with their own proprietary SW and the Conductor SW for Aurender is fully controlled via an iPad and also has Tidal and Qobuz and internet radio all embedded within too (just like Roon). 

On 12/13/2017 at 9:39 AM, conqubite said:

I had someone who made it for me because i can't do it myself. It's made of a good but well known and more often used print together with al first class and expensive components. The maker is also making this...

But I'm no expert so I can not say much more than this. 

Looks cool! 

On 12/22/2017 at 11:08 AM, exdmd said:

Try using that AQ Coffee with a Schiit Eitr the Diamond is even better. The Coffee does give you about 85% of the Diamond the improvement from the Diamond is due to solid silver conductors.

Coffee is good!

Bought one for my first foray into CA.  Used Wavelength's great little box to convert USB to BNC to connect Mini to Wadia 861 and play with A+.  Gordon, Wavelength's impresario, told me at that time that, "I do not know why, but the AQ UBS cables with the electronic bias dialectric just sounds better." The Coffee that I'm using is a replacement, the 8 year old one's terminations plastic was "melting", turned sticky, so the nice folks from AQ sent me a replacement.  No questions asked; they stand by their products.

Listening to Dave Holland's great album with flamenco artist Pepe Habichuela, Hands, and the guitarists and Dave are in the room and the palmas and goples are startling real! 

Tone with Soul

1 minute ago, 57gold said:

Coffee is good!

Bought one for my first foray into CA.  Used Wavelength's great little box to convert USB to BNC to connect Mini to Wadia 861 and play with A+.  Gordon, Wavelength's impresario, told me at that time that, "I do not know why, but the AQ UBS cables with the electronic bias dialectric just sounds better." The Coffee that I'm using is a replacement, the 8 year old one's terminations plastic was "melting", turned sticky, so the nice folks from AQ sent me a replacement.  No questions asked; they stand by their products.

Listening to Dave Holland's great album with flamenco artist Pepe Habichuela, Hands, and the guitarists and Dave are in the room and the palmas and goples are startling real!  A very nice improvement versus the one in the B+ box.

A very nice improvement versus the one in the B+ box.

Tone with Soul

The output level on the original DAC is adjusted by the user by opening the case which means warranty is still valid. Not sure DAC+ if has the same jumper adjustment model. Discovery of a tiny broken plastic piece may prevent the hassle of sending the unit back.

Then again, contacting Mytek might be the best choice.

Yaman