IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

10 hours ago, intensemojo said:

Actually, very happy with the two channel playback. 

Two things for me are worth the upgrade on paper:

1. Redesigned analog circuits - I route my phono preamp through the Brooklyn for headphone playback. So if they say its better I'll try it.

2. New balanced headphone amp - If it can improve the sound through my LCD-X, again I'l try it

OK - thanks for your response.  I am pretty happy with the Brooklyn as-is, so I was wondering what your motivation was.  I do not do vinyl and I have another headphone amp (Schiit Asgard 2) that I am pretty happy with.  In an A-B comparison with the Brooklyn headphone amp, I thought the Schiit was much better, actually.  Hope you enjoy the new product and your music!

Some new interesting info about Brooklyn+ from mytek page:

Brooklyn DAC+ features the following improvements as compared to Brooklyn DAC:

- Sabre 9028 Pro chipset ( 9018 in older model)
- Higher grade, more transparent and less noisy analog attenuator circuit. 
- Improved analog input performance 
- Improved Phono Stage transparency 
- Improved Headphone Amp sound (more detail, more definition)
- Dual mono analog path

In other words Brooklyn DAC+ has the same features as Brooklyn DAC but improved sound. It’s not a huge improvement, but noticeable, as Brooklyn DAC is still excellent sounding and best value in the price category when compared to competition.

Info from manual:

Brooklyn DAC+ similar outside, completely different inside
Although the Brooklyn DAC+ looks similar to its predecessor (Brooklyn DAC) it has been completely
redesigned inside.
All changes
• new state-of-the-art DA chip with more filters available,
• redesigned analog circuits (separate for left and right channel),
• new balanced headphone amp with high quality analog volume control chip built-in
• optimized clock section guarantee pristine, transparent and very musical sound!
Trigger control compatibility allows the Brooklyn DAC+ easily to be integrated with other devices.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any further experience of the DAC+? Currently looking to upgrade my Audiolab MDAC to something more modern and trying to choose between the original Brooklyn, DAC+, and RME ADI-2 Pro. Would be using pretty much as a DAC/Pre from Mac mini only, though always nice to have the other functions.

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

I have been using a Brooklyn DAC+ for over a month. Very satisfied would buy again. I have seen reviews on head-fi giving the nod to the DAC+ over Yggdrasil from users who have compared both. You have the MQA option with DAC+ which will never happen with Schiit gear. The DAC+ is the way to go don't save money by buying the original Brooklyn. My experience with the built in headphone amp is that it is decent, about the same as a Magni 3, not as good as a Vali 2. I am using HD800S which prefer tubes and am using the Vali 2 until my Kenzie arrives.

On 12/2/2017 at 10:29 PM, lmitche said:

Sad to realize that like the Manhattan 2, there is no DSD512 support from Mytek here.

As long as the Manhattan II is concerned, I've shown that there is a way to enable to play DSD512 sources, probably applicable to Brooklyn (and Dac+). You might want to take a glance at my previous post.

Regards,

Hi all, a quick first post and question which I guess can be answered quite quickly.... thinking of a Brooklyn Dac+ and want to feed it Tidal with MQA with a decent easy to use app.

So, basically I am looking at an Aries Mini or Aries. The question is, if I went for a mini I would very likely rapidly follow with an SBooster and Curious USB cable. Would I be actually be better spending slightly more in total and just going for a full Aries? (which I later have similar upgrades I can do).

I had considered going for an Sotm SMS-200, but being a bit new to this, I can't see how I'd get tidal to work with it, although if Roon is added to the cost then I understand it (not sure I want to hack that additional Roon cost). I'm not interested in the Roon surfing experience btw. ...maybe someone can give an idiot's guide to how Tidal could work for me with the SOTM and whether it could potentially sound better than the Aries Mini or Aries.

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, exdmd said:

Considering simpler is often better why not use the Tidal app on your laptop directly to the Brooklyn DAC+?

I want to free myself from the wires in that respect. I've run music from my laptop before to a dac down a 5 metre USB cable before, it's too much bother for me (especially as I am often using my laptop and moving it around all the time). Plus, I won't the max unfolding capability of mqa that way.

On 2017-12-09 at 11:53 PM, mfin said:

I want to free myself from the wires in that respect. I've run music from my laptop before to a dac down a 5 metre USB cable before, it's too much bother for me (especially as I am often using my laptop and moving it around all the time). Plus, I won't the max unfolding capability of mqa that way.

IME you will get improved Tidal SQ using LigthningDS/ OpenHome. Better than wired. I am using Aries Mini with Brooklyn DAC and get a glorious sound. Ofcourse what ever player you choose you'll need to improve AC, DC, isolation and grounding to get the most out of things. With Tidal it is crucial to improve the network (router/wireless bridge/network switch) on all four respects.

🎛️  Audio System  

Great. My network is wired, so as far as networking for an Aries Mini goes, I don't have to use wireless to connect it to the network. By wireless as I am sure you have picked up, I just mean being sat there with a laptop which is connected to something by a usb cable or any other sort of cable is not something I want to be doing.

I'm familiar with the approach to the networking side of things too, so putting any of that into action is easy for me, I've done plenty of network work and if I decide to go from an ISP's wireless router across to separate boxes for router, modem, wireless AP, and switch then getting that all in place and running is no problem at all for me if I chose to do it. (the costs get quite high quite quick though, well, I mean high as in approaching or above the cost of the Aries Mini).

So, it appears that you are saying an Aries Mini is not a bad shout and concentrating not just on its PSU and Cable but on the Network aspect too will reap rewards. The cost of doing all these things together is definitely at least the same or just over the cost of a full Aries.

27 minutes ago, mfin said:

Great. My network is wired, so as far as networking for an Aries Mini goes, I don't have to use wireless to connect it to the network. By wireless as I am sure you have picked up, I just mean being sat there with a laptop which is connected to something by a usb cable or any other sort of cable is not something I want to be doing.

I'm familiar with the approach to the networking side of things too, so putting any of that into action is easy for me, I've done plenty of network work and if I decide to go from an ISP's wireless router across to separate boxes for router, modem, wireless AP, and switch then getting that all in place and running is no problem at all for me if I chose to do it. (the costs get quite high quite quick though, well, I mean high as in approaching or above the cost of the Aries Mini).

So, it appears that you are saying an Aries Mini is not a bad shout and concentrating not just on its PSU and Cable but on the Network aspect too will reap rewards. The cost of doing all these things together is definitely at least the same or just over the cost of a full Aries.

One thing that improves Tidal quite a lot with Aries Mini is to connect a wireless bridge (or wireless adapter as they are also called) into a network switch, so the router is communicating with the wireless bridge and Aries Mini is connected wired to the bridge. IME it sounds way better than to wire the Aries Mini to the router. A very simple and cheap thing is also to add the JSSG (John Swenson Ground Tweak) to DC- output on all PSUs for router and network switch.

Aries Mini is a really great shout IMO. No doubt that it will require a lot of improvements around it to perform optimal, but I would say it is the very same thing for any other streamer solution as well. Ofcourse if you get the full Aries or a SOtM SMS-200Ultra you´ll get a jump in SQ, but not without the additional improvements. The additional improvements will most likely be neccessary whatever streamer you´ll choose, so it will only be more expensive in the end. 

There is many things that improves Tidal. In the very first post of my thread "The True Experimental Tweak Thread" I have put down the most important steps towards that specific goal. Have a look if there is something useful for you! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, mfin said:

Got it, I have a wireless bridge here too which is sat doing nothing. So I can use that for the Aries Mini rather than just regularly wiring it.

I'll read up on that ground tweak etc, thank you.

Here is a link to the JSGT (Sorry, not JSSG that I wrote by misstake. This is another good improvement on ethernet cables. A Faraday cage for cables by recommendation from John Swenson):

In my experiance it is works great for the PSUs powering routers and network switches. It can improve in other spots too, but can also take some away, so it needs to be tested in each system.

Good luck! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

24 minutes ago, mumsoft said:

Maybe this is an interesting video on this matter:

The Pink Faun LAN isolator have been around for quite some time now. Indeed use it, but it (or any other network isolator) will not block the high impedance leakage. The JSGT is needed as well. ?

🎛️  Audio System  

After almost 7 years of musical enjoyment from my DSD192, I have a Brooklyn+ arriving next week.  

Been checking this thread periodically, but with 107 pages, much of it dealing with the first version of the Brooklyn, I haven't been able to ascertain with any clarity what folks are doing to coax the best performance out of this unit.  

I run the DSD192, which is powered by a very nice specialty AC cable, with a quad core Mac Mini using HQPlayer, PM and A+ connected by FireWire.  The DSD192 runs directly into a McCormack DNA-500 which drives Aerial 10Ts.

Looking for no-brainer enhancements to the B+.  

Understand that a linear power supply is an effective upgrade but not sure which one makes sense (many have the UpTone JS-2, but wonder if there is a more economical quality alternative)?  

I have no plans to use Tidal or other streaming services as I have 2,500+ rips on HD and purchase CDs periodically, so not sure if a renderer is useful/of high utility?  

Have not been using USB, but do have a couple of decent USB cables, an AQ Coffee and an Oyaide.  Pages and pages on the CA Forum on all kinds of USB filters, isolators, re-clockers...would consider one, if it was a no brainer upgrade to sonics?  Only one though; I'd rather buy music, guitar gear, wine...than spend on a string of gizmos and must have power supplies.

Did speak to Michal at Mytek, and he believed I would be more than pleased with increased musicality of his newest generation product...pretty pumped!

Grateful for reasonable suggestions in this regard from Mytek Brooklyn owners.  Thanks.

FWIW, I can not do DYI electronics.

Tone with Soul

6 hours ago, 57gold said:

Grateful for reasonable suggestions in this regard from Mytek Brooklyn owners.  Thanks.

There's a separate thread on the Brooklyn/external PS theme somewhere here. I use the SBooster (around 300 euros) and it works and sounds fine with the original Brooklyn.