IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

27 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Thanks, exdmd!

From the manual only 5 of the 7 frequency response curves are shown...the FRMP and SRMP are not.

1) Not sure how the Minimum Phase curves would compare to the Linear Phase?!

2) At first glance the SRLP looks the "cleanest" subjectively but have no idea if that is relevant!?

The SRLP looks like the frequency response is more extended until one notices that the horizontal scale is different from the other four!

Do we have a filter meister out there who can  comment on the points above?

Am guessing the freq response is the same. Only phase differs. 

8 minutes ago, rayl1234 said:

Am guessing the freq response is the same. Only phase differs. 

Yes, "linear" vs "minimum"...but what does that mean?  Can you enlighten us further on what the difference is?

What about the relative "cleanliness" of the SRLP response vs the others?

Trying to understand the graphical differences in the frequency responses vs what we might hear.

blues_pedaler wrote:

I, too, am getting ready to purchase the DAC+.  I see that the matching Brooklyn Amp is now shipping. If anyone has this amp or heard it at one of the shows, your impressions would be appreciated. No doubt Mytek has voiced this amp to be a synergistic companion to the DAC+ but having owned an old school Bel Canto class D (EVO 4), I find the class D characteristics somewhat lacking in emotional engagement for some reason. Mytek claims their design is Class A-ish.  I was hoping to get an independent verification of that before I take the plunge and take advantage of their current bundle pricing. I use JansZen electrostatics/dynamic hybrid speakers; they are very revealing, fast and transparent. So amplification matching is important. If there is a better place to pose this question on CA, please point me in the right direction. I'm a newbie and want to thank all of you for sharing your expertise and your patience.

I too tired of Bel Canto class D sound and abandoned it long ago.  Alas, as of today, the Mytek Brooklyn AMP only exists in the promotional announcements from Mytek and a non-functioning sample displayed at the recent RMAF. No one, anywhere, reports having heard the amp.  Based on the excellence of the Mytek DAC, I did order the DAC/AMP bundle for a second system.  Hoping the AMP will manifest itself soon.

Qobuz via Aurender N10 > Devialet Expert Pro > Audio Physic Avantera

4 hours ago, BigGuy said:

Yes, "linear" vs "minimum"...but what does that mean?  Can you enlighten us further on what the difference is?

What about the relative "cleanliness" of the SRLP response vs the others?

Trying to understand the graphical differences in the frequency responses vs what we might hear.

A "minimum phase" system is one that changes the phase by the minimum amount at a given frequency -- if you change the amplitude at a given frequency, this can only be done with some amount of phase change.  A minimum phase system is one that minimizes it. Thus, the actual phase change can be calculated if you know the frequency and attenuation (via a formula).

The ramification of this is that at different frequencies, the phase change will be different.  I am not going to take a side on this argument, but one side says that's bad -- the other side says studies show that phase change cannot generally be heard.

A "linear phase" system maintains the phase -- but how can it do this?  Well, by taking the maximum phase change across all frequencies and forcing that same phase change across all frequencies -- thus, there is no relative phase change from one frequency to another.  In order to do this, the filter must be a filter that can look into the future -- this is achieved by delaying the output.  This is referred to as "pre-ringing."

Again, I am not going to take a side on whether pre-ringing is good or is bad in this context.

I am more willing to make comments in other contexts, e.g. a "perfect" filter requires infinite pre-ringing, but short of a close-to-perfect filter (very long filter), I don't know what to say about pre-ringing. Also room correction and minimum phase are not incompatible bec by definition, all real analog systems (i.e. your room) will only impose minimum phase changes, so a correction to those effects will only work to restore original phase (as closely as your correction gets)....  

I will also say a few words on why filtering is necessary for analog reconstruction. When you have a digital sample, in the frequency domain, the signal is replicated once every multiple of the sampling rate. Thus when converting to analog, you only one to convert one instance -- the one centered at 0 Hz up to 1/2 the sampling rate.

7 hours ago, Fitz Music said:

I too tired of Bel Canto class D sound and abandoned it long ago.  Alas, as of today, the Mytek Brooklyn AMP only exists in the promotional announcements from Mytek and a non-functioning sample displayed at the recent RMAF. No one, anywhere, reports having heard the amp.  Based on the excellence of the Mytek DAC, I did order the DAC/AMP bundle for a second system.  Hoping the AMP will manifest itself soon.

Thanks, FM, for your response. I eagerly await any initial impressions and possible follow-ups you might share as you get familiar with the Brooklyn Amp.  If a new thread develops as this piece graduates from vapor-ware status to 'now shipping', I hope you'll let me know in this space as I'll continue to check here. Thanks again.

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎26 at 4:03 AM, Desert_Rick said:

Thanks, FM, for your response. I eagerly await any initial impressions and possible follow-ups you might share as you get familiar with the Brooklyn Amp.  If a new thread develops as this piece graduates from vapor-ware status to 'now shipping', I hope you'll let me know in this space as I'll continue to check here. Thanks again.

The Brooklyn AMP is (finally) in my system now. Listened to it briefly yesterday. Of course it's much too early to say anything for sure, but at least it made a good first impression. It definitely has the potential to be a keeper. Maybe a bit too much energy (borderline harshness) in the higher registers but that may be the material or something that will improve with some burn-in. And it sounds engaging and transparent right out of the box, without throwing the music at the listener (a quality I like about the Brooklyn DAC too).

Edit: It made a terrible "internal" noise when I plugged it in. Twice. Maybe it's the class D circuitry?

Pleased to see that at least one person has received the Brooklyn AMP.

The Brooklyn DAC+ has a Trigger I/O connector that does not appear on the original Brooklyn DAC, and the Brooklyn AMP has a plug on the back marked "POWER UP TRIGGER 12V".  Are these some kind of interconnection feature twixt DAC and AMP? (I ask out of ignorance.)  Did you receive a User's Manual with the Brooklyn AMP where the feature might be explained?

On 10/25/2017 at 10:48 AM, Fitz Music said:

blues_pedaler wrote:

I, too, am getting ready to purchase the DAC+.  I see that the matching Brooklyn Amp is now shipping. If anyone has this amp or heard it at one of the shows, your impressions would be appreciated. No doubt Mytek has voiced this amp to be a synergistic companion to the DAC+ but having owned an old school Bel Canto class D (EVO 4), I find the class D characteristics somewhat lacking in emotional engagement for some reason. Mytek claims their design is Class A-ish.  I was hoping to get an independent verification of that before I take the plunge and take advantage of their current bundle pricing. I use JansZen electrostatics/dynamic hybrid speakers; they are very revealing, fast and transparent. So amplification matching is important. If there is a better place to pose this question on CA, please point me in the right direction. I'm a newbie and want to thank all of you for sharing your expertise and your patience.

I certainly want to review the DAC+ to see if some issues have been fixed but I will have to work through Chris for this too happen.

6 hours ago, Fitz Music said:

Pleased to see that at least one person has received the Brooklyn AMP.

The Brooklyn DAC+ has a Trigger I/O connector that does not appear on the original Brooklyn DAC, and the Brooklyn AMP has a plug on the back marked "POWER UP TRIGGER 12V".  Are these some kind of interconnection feature twixt DAC and AMP? (I ask out of ignorance.)  Did you receive a User's Manual with the Brooklyn AMP where the feature might be explained?

No manual in the box, but the 12 v trigger is a pretty standard thing.

On 10/27/2017 at 6:02 PM, m5sime said:

I have long been awaiting a review of the Amp and especially wanted to understand what class D tech was being used inside. If anyone ever feels like taking the lid off for a photo, I’m sure others would be delighted. 

Also wondering what's inside the Mytek AMP.  A Polish site http://highfidelity.pl/@main-789&lang=en reviews a small Acuhorn class D amplifier of which the designer makes  claims about its sound that are very similar to Mytek's promotional copy. Hmm...

With only one person on CA reporting receipt of a Brooklyn AMP, information remains sparse. Too sparse for those of us awaiting receipt of the AMP.

2 hours ago, Fitz Music said:

Also wondering what's inside the Mytek AMP.  A Polish site http://highfidelity.pl/@main-789&lang=en reviews a small Acuhorn class D amplifier of which the designer makes  claims about its sound that are very similar to Mytek's promotional copy. Hmm...

With only one person on CA reporting receipt of a Brooklyn AMP, information remains sparse. Too sparse for those of us awaiting receipt of the AMP.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I will not risk Mytek's 30 day return option by opening it up. Not that I think I will return it. Still early days, but I had a very nice listening session yesterday.

1 hour ago, mumsoft said:

If Mytek can find some time to do a little, tiny update to the current firmware of the original Brooklyn, that is: show the current source when powered up... and then, come with the promised Linux version of the Control Panel: o, I would love that. :x

I recall seeing somewhere that Michal is on a panel at Capital Audiofest.  Not a show I attend, but you may want to go heckle! :-)

Greetings Everyone,

I have a question relating to the Brooklyn DAC+. I just picked up this DAC and have been doing some initial listening, nothing to crazy as I have not had time.  I have noticed though that ROON and Audivarna do not recognize the DSD256 capability of the unit.  The upper limit is DSD128.  I have a number of DSD256 recordings and wondered if anyone has had any experience with this an issue?  I clearly read in the spec sheet that DSD256 was supported with USB2 on OSX without need for drivers.  Any input would be appreciated. 

I do have a few other DACs and specifically my iDAC2 from (iFi) has no issues with DSD256, but just in the initial play of the MQA files I could hear a big difference in sound quality with the Brooklyn.

Brooklyn DAC+ via USB2 on iMAC running latest OSX.   

Thanks for the time!

1 hour ago, PMJ72 said:

Greetings Everyone,

I have a question relating to the Brooklyn DAC+. I just picked up this DAC and have been doing some initial listening, nothing to crazy as I have not had time.  I have noticed though that ROON and Audivarna do not recognize the DSD256 capability of the unit.  The upper limit is DSD128.  I have a number of DSD256 recordings and wondered if anyone has had any experience with this an issue?  I clearly read in the spec sheet that DSD256 was supported with USB2 on OSX without need for drivers.  Any input would be appreciated. 

I do have a few other DACs and specifically my iDAC2 from (iFi) has no issues with DSD256, but just in the initial play of the MQA files I could hear a big difference in sound quality with the Brooklyn.

Thanks for the time!

Native DSD256 is supported with Windows Driver.

No driver with OSX, so it uses DSD DoP (not native). Likely, that is limited to DSD128, since DoP requires 2x the processing resources of native DSD, i.e. DSD256 / 2 = DSD128

mQa is dead!

3 hours ago, PMJ72 said:

Greetings Everyone,

Thanks for the time!

The Brooklyn DAC does fine with DSD256 from the Auralic Aries Mini streamer over USB.  I cannot imagine that they would remove that capability in the + version.  I am not using the unit with a PC or Mac, so that may be the issue as previously pointed out.

13 hours ago, Bob M. said:

The Brooklyn DAC does fine with DSD256 from the Auralic Aries Mini streamer over USB.  I cannot imagine that they would remove that capability in the + version.  I am not using the unit with a PC or Mac, so that may be the issue as previously pointed out.

I have the Brooklyn Dac+ and I can confirm that it does fine with DSD256. The challenge will be more to find DSD256 files... :)

I only have an issue with DSD64 5.1 : the music starts and then stops after 2-3 seconds and I have a message from Roon saying that "An audiofile is loading slowly". So not sure if the DAC can handle these files. Maybe with a different configuration in Roon ?

1 hour ago, LaurentS said:

I only have an issue with DSD64 5.1 : the music starts and then stops after 2-3 seconds and I have a message from Roon saying that "An audiofile is loading slowly". So not sure if the DAC can handle these files. Maybe with a different configuration in Roon ?

For 5.1, you will need three Brooklyns.  See: https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-84-multichannel-mqa

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile