IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

1 hour ago, labjr said:

There's only one board inside? They should be taking care of customers by doing upgrades or trade-ins regardless. 

Below the reply I got from Michal:

Generally if the Brooklyn DAC was bought before September 1st we do not offer upgrade. If after. You can swap this unit w dealer as long as its mint condition and pay difference. 

Best Regards Michal

Robert-Jan

I'm pretty upset about the lack of an upgrade path for the Brooklyn, even a paid one.  Where I am the Brooklyn costs almost $3000 and is roughly the same price as the Yggdrasil, which was my other choice.

If I had bought the Yggdrasil I would have an upgrade path and most of my resale value intact.  

Lesson learned about Mytek and their products.

JRiver -> NAD M51 -> Questyle CMA800R -> HD800 - LCD-X

16 minutes ago, Breen Lyden said:

Anyone having any problems with the new Windows Fall creators update?  After the update I can't get my Brooklyn to play Tidal Masters.  I've tried EVERYTHING!  Please help

I haven't upgraded but am curious to know how the problem shows up?  e,g, is it playing just not with MQA?

11 hours ago, rayl1234 said:

I haven't upgraded but am curious to know how the problem shows up?  e,g, is it playing just not with MQA?

I have the same issue with my Meridian Explorer2.

I just get no sound when I play MQA files in the Tidal app. No blue light. 

All other playback works fine.

Have notified both Tidal and Meridian.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

16 hours ago, Breen Lyden said:

Anyone having any problems with the new Windows Fall creators update?  After the update I can't get my Brooklyn to play Tidal Masters.  I've tried EVERYTHING!  Please help

Hi Breen, I did the update last night and have had no issues playing Tidal Masters MQA files through my Mytek Brooklyn.

BROOKLYN DAC+ PCM filters

The just released Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ has a batch of new PCM filter shapes. Any help in deciphering the best sounding use/applicability of any or all of the following would be appreciated. I listen to Aurender files, and Tidal and Qobuz streaming. Listening is my only audio skill.

FRMP-fast roll-off, minimum phase filter

SRMP-slow roll-off, minimum phase filter

FRLP-fast roll-off, linear phase filter

SRLP-slow roll-off, linear phase filter

APDZ-apodizing, fast roll-off. linear phase filter

HBRD-hybrid, fast roll-off, minimum phase filter

BRCK-brickwall filter

The above list is all the owner's manual supplies for these filter settings, with no usage suggestions.

I, too, am getting ready to purchase the DAC+.  I see that the matching Brooklyn Amp is now shipping. If anyone has this amp or heard it at one of the shows, your impressions would be appreciated. No doubt Mytek has voiced this amp to be a synergistic companion to the DAC+ but having owned an old school Bel Canto class D (EVO 4), I find the class D characteristics somewhat lacking in emotional engagement for some reason. Mytek claims their design is Class A-ish.  I was hoping to get an independent verification of that before I take the plunge and take advantage of their current bundle pricing. I use JansZen electrostatics/dynamic hybrid speakers; they are very revealing, fast and transparent. So amplification matching is important. If there is a better place to pose this question on CA, please point me in the right direction. I'm a newbie and want to thank all of you for sharing your expertise and your patience.

29 minutes ago, blues_pedaler said:

I, too, am getting ready to purchase the DAC+.  I see that the matching Brooklyn Amp is now shipping. If anyone has this amp or heard it at one of the shows, your impressions would be appreciated. No doubt Mytek has voiced this amp to be a synergistic companion to the DAC+ but having owned an old school Bel Canto class D (EVO 4), I find the class D characteristics somewhat lacking in emotional engagement for some reason. Mytek claims their design is Class A-ish.  I was hoping to get an independent verification of that before I take the plunge and take advantage of their current bundle pricing. I use JansZen electrostatics/dynamic hybrid speakers; they are very revealing, fast and transparent. So amplification matching is important. If there is a better place to pose this question on CA, please point me in the right direction. I'm a newbie and want to thank all of you for sharing your expertise and your patience.

You won't know if the Brooklyn Amp works with your speakers in your room until you get one in and try it. Make sure you can return for a refund if it does not work for you. What are the chances that a new amp on the market is a perfect match for your speakers?

You won't know if the Brooklyn Amp works with your speakers in your room until you get one in and try it. Make sure you can return for a refund if it does not work for you. What are the chances that a new amp on the market is a perfect match for your speakers?

I appreciate that nothing is as telling as having the component in one's system to judge its efficacy. The solution you suggest isn't as feasible as it appears on the face of it. Currently, Mytek is offering a 30 day full money back guarantee for the purchase of the Brooklyn Amp. However, after reviews start showing up online and in the audio press, they say that 30 day return program reverts to their standard "store credit" rather than cash return. Do to several personal issue, I will not be able to accept delivery or audition the amplifier for about a month from now. I was hoping that someone with audio experience that had spent some time with this amp would say either they believe it to be different, in kind, from other class D amps, and that it truly is more analog like or class A in spirit, or maybe, no... it still has a touch of that chalkiness and some of those non-linearities endemic to class D (there is a price to be paid for high efficiency).  With the former response, I'll take a chance and go for the bundle price in a month; with the latter response, I just won't bother. Thanks, again for your input.

4 hours ago, Henchard said:

The just released Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ has a batch of new PCM filter shapes. Any help in deciphering the best sounding use/applicability of any or all of the following would be appreciated. I listen to Aurender files, and Tidal and Qobuz streaming. Listening is my only audio skill.

BRCK-brickwall filter

The above list is all the owner's manual supplies for these filter settings, with no usage suggestions.

I would suggest reading the review of the Mytek Manhattan II where there are observations on the sound characteristics of each filter.  <https://www.stereophile.com/content/mytek-hifi-manhattan-ii-da-preamplifier-headphone-amplifier>

Even tho' the notes are for the Man II which I own, I would expect parallels with the Brooklyn+.   I found the description of the SRMP filter to be most like what I listen for so I have started with that.

NOTE: Make sure you disable MQA filter if not listening to MQA...it will interfere with filters listed above.

Have fun!

On 10/21/2017 at 2:57 PM, Henchard said:

BRCK-brickwall filter

Wow.  The Brooklyn DAC (no plus) has only these filters for PCM:

• MPH (Minimum Phase)
  • SR (Slow Roll-Off)
  • FR (Fast Roll-Off)

It's not clear whether SR and FR are minimum phase or linear phase.

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

Wow.  The Brooklyn DAC (no plus) has only these filters for PCM:

• MPH (Minimum Phase)
  • SR (Slow Roll-Off)
  • FR (Fast Roll-Off)

It's not clear whether SR and FR are minimum phase or linear phase.

The additional filters are from the chip upgrade. Alas, ESS does not make its info public... but I did find graphs of the filters in:

Manual%20Kit%20%20ES9038PRO%20DAC+%20%20

I am not familiar with how they sound relative to one another. I keep the default settings. 

9 hours ago, rayl1234 said:

The additional filters are from the chip upgrade. Alas, ESS does not make its info public... but I did find graphs of the filters in:

I am not familiar with how they sound relative to one another. I keep the default settings. 

How does one get to...   Manual%20Kit%20%20ES9038PRO%20DAC+%20%20

16 minutes ago, exdmd said:

Thanks, exdmd!

From the manual only 5 of the 7 frequency response curves are shown...the FRMP and SRMP are not.

1) Not sure how the Minimum Phase curves would compare to the Linear Phase?!

2) At first glance the SRLP looks the "cleanest" subjectively but have no idea if that is relevant!?

The SRLP looks like the frequency response is more extended until one notices that the horizontal scale is different from the other four!

Do we have a filter meister out there who can  comment on the points above?