IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

On 10/7/2017 at 11:01 AM, occamsrazor said:

DAC+ sounds very interesting, but will depend which type of streaming it supports. If it does Roon and Audirvana that would be awesome. Dante would be pretty useful too but unlikely I guess.

It appears the DAC+ is merely an updated version of the Brooklyn DAC.  In this case then, it does not directly support streaming -- the stream must be fed to the DAC from a streaming device or computer.

mQa is dead!

I had a brief listen through headphones. The headphone amp section seems to be improved therefore good news for headfiers since the original one was allready great. Mid bass was fuller and had more presence through headphones (I tried a couple of them to make sure) 

Cant say that I noticed anything different to the resolution and separation but the previous version was allready too good. Maybe an A-B comparison through a speaker system might reveal improvements but I dont think It would be a night and day difference. 

Back from RMAF and listening at home again -- Does anyone else noticed that on the Windows volume control setting, when using Tidal, the volume control no longer works correctly?  (I am guessing it's a Tidal update in the past few wks as I have not updated Mytek drivers nor Brooklyn firmware.)

If I turn the knob on the Brooklyn or change the volume on the PC side (either through OS or Tidal), the volume now jumps around.

If I set it to Force volume, it actually works except when you first start Tidal, the volume reverts to max -0 dB.  If you then adjust it down, all works. But the initial adjustment is a pain.

I've now set PC volume control to DSBL and am exclusively using the knob to adjust volume.  That's works correctly (of course), but I miss having the mute button on the PC for when a phone call comes in, etc....

21 minutes ago, left channel said:

@rayl1234 when you first start Tidal the Brooklyn's volume jumps to maximum? With Tidal set to Exclusive Mode, Force Volume, and Passthrough MQA? That's a potentially ear-splitting bug, worth asking Mytek about directly.

The Mytek doc says to uncheck Force Volume -- but that causes the volume to jump back and forth, as if the PC volume and the Mytek volume controls were fighting for the winning setting almost. I can't quite characterize it in words.

If I do check Force Volume, it will go to max volume when you first play... so my workaround has been to turn off  amps, start the playback, turn down the volume, then turn on amps.

This became too tedious and I now have PC volume control disabled -- i.e. volume control is only through the knob on the Mytek.  But I lose the mute button convenience.

This behavior (that is, the jumping which led me to try Force Volume) was not evidenced last month -- but started happening recently. (I haven't used Tidal with Mytek for a few wks on account of preparing for and heading to RMAF.)

@rayl1234 thanks, I've found the Mytek doc on Tidal and see now that it recommends not using Force Volume. So that's "not a bug, it's a feature". Disregarding that is potentially very dangerous for your ears, so best left the way they recommend.

That still leaves a conflict between the manual's recommended USB volume setting, "Win", and the new problems you're experiencing now, which forced you to switch to "DSBL". Even the Mytek control panel is a problem now? Perhaps this is still worth a discussion with Mytek, as you'll get nowhere asking Tidal.

I'd bet most of us here have long been accustomed to never touching any computer volume control, but you should have the option if you want it. I'm still considering the Brooklyn, but playing around with a cheaper MQA DAC for now, a little box from Pro-Ject which just so happens to include a mute feature: just press on the volume knob. Perhaps a feature request for the Brooklyn++?

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

2 minutes ago, left channel said:

@rayl1234 thanks, I've found the Mytek doc on Tidal and see now that it recommends not using Force Volume. So that's "not a bug, it's a feature". Disregarding that is potentially very dangerous for your ears, so best left the way they recommend.

That still leaves a conflict between the manual's recommended USB volume setting, "Win", and the new problems you're experiencing now, which forced you to switch to "DSBL". Even the Mytek control panel is a problem now? Perhaps this is still worth a discussion with Mytek, as you'll get nowhere asking Tidal.

I'd bet most of us here have long been accustomed to never touching any computer volume control, but you should have the option if you want it. I'm still considering the Brooklyn, but playing around with a cheaper MQA DAC for now, a little box from Pro-Ject which just so happens to include a mute feature: just press on the volume knob. Perhaps a feature request for the Brooklyn++?

I concede that using Force Volume was an attempted workaround for the jumping around issue that started recently and not the documented path... just exploring alternatives.

I am asking the question here to see if others have experienced the same issue to gather background info, though I think the path of least resistance may be to just get a headphone plug and use that as a mute switch (as plugging in headphone mutes speakers).

Just now, mumsoft said:

Can't you just switch the input, say from USB to AES/EBU or further with the remote?

Marc

I prefer to have Volume selected as that's the primary control desired.  One would need to deselect Volume, navigate over the input source, select that, and change it (by which time, one could've hit enough volume down presses).

18 hours ago, rayl1234 said:

I prefer to have Volume selected as that's the primary control desired.  One would need to deselect Volume, navigate over the input source, select that, and change it (by which time, one could've hit enough volume down presses).

Maybe I don't get it. With the remote, one has to press left or right for another source. Then adjust the volume (press down), and go back to the desired input with right or left.

Compared to fitting a headphone, it seems to me less cumbersome. But, as said, maybe I don't understand. I have no USB-sources here. Also no Tidal.

Marc

1 hour ago, mumsoft said:

Maybe I don't get it. With the remote, one has to press left or right for another source. Then adjust the volume (press down), and go back to the desired input with right or left.

Compared to fitting a headphone, it seems to me less cumbersome. But, as said, maybe I don't understand. I have no USB-sources here. Also no Tidal.

Marc

Ah ha!  Excellent suggestion. I've always kept my Brooklyn in the detailed settings mode, not in the simplified display mode.  But I can hit Menu, then left/right to switch input to mute.... and take a bit longer to return it to my preferred mode to unmute.

23 hours ago, Totsipaki said:

I had a brief listen through headphones. The headphone amp section seems to be improved therefore good news for headfiers since the original one was allready great. Mid bass was fuller and had more presence through headphones (I tried a couple of them to make sure) 

Cant say that I noticed anything different to the resolution and separation but the previous version was allready too good. Maybe an A-B comparison through a speaker system might reveal improvements but I dont think It would be a night and day difference. 

I was at RMAF, and got a chance to listen to the Brooklyn+ and Brooklyn side-by-side, with my own headphones. The source was a laptop running Roon I believe. The location of the Mytek table was not the greatest, so ambient noise was an issue.

I agree with @Totsipaki that the Brooklyn+ sounded better, and his characterization of the differences as well.

But sadly, that's about all you can do at these shows. How it will sound as a DAC in your system, with your source, is hard to say. What I heard did sound promising, though.

1 hour ago, rayl1234 said:

Ah ha!  Excellent suggestion. I've always kept my Brooklyn in the detailed settings mode, not in the simplified display mode.  But I can hit Menu, then left/right to switch input to mute.... and take a bit longer to return it to my preferred mode to unmute.

Ah! Well, I forgot the two menu's with their different settings, as I have the Brooklyn always in the simplified menu. Glad that we can now agree.

Marc

Hi all,

disappointing response about upgrade

Hello , Robert,

Thank you for your e-mail.
We regret to inform you that we don't provide the upgrade program from Brooklyn to Brooklyn +.
If your have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

With best regards
Daniel

Daniel Primakov
Mytek Digital
tel./fax: +48 22 823 72 38
[email protected]
[email protected]
www.mytekdigital.com

Robert-Jan

24 minutes ago, RJ Kamsma said:

Hi all,

disappointing response about upgrade

Hello , Robert,

Thank you for your e-mail.
We regret to inform you that we don't provide the upgrade program from Brooklyn to Brooklyn +.
If your have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

With best regards
Daniel

Daniel Primakov
Mytek Digital
tel./fax: +48 22 823 72 38
[email protected]
[email protected]
www.mytekdigital.com

Too bad about there not being an upgrade path but I am guessing the changes were more than just changing the mobo like with the Manhattan.

Did you by chance ask about trade-ins?

35 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Too bad about there not being an upgrade path but I am guessing the changes were more than just changing the mobo like with the Manhattan.

Did you by chance ask about trade-ins?

There's only one board inside? They should be taking care of customers by doing upgrades or trade-ins regardless. 

38 minutes ago, labjr said:

There's only one board inside? They should be taking care of customers by doing upgrades or trade-ins regardless. 

Cannot answer since I have the Manhattan 2 tho' a friend has the Brooklyn.

In my experience, Mytek has been very good about trade-ins but an upgrade may just not be possible geography-wise.

1 minute ago, BigGuy said:

Cannot answer since I have the Manhattan 2 tho' a friend has the Brooklyn.

In my experience, Mytek has been very good about trade-ins but an upgrade may just not be possible geography-wise.

I am guessing the board is a significant % of the cost for the Brooklyn... unlike the Manhattan where the margins are larger... Hence an upgrade is more difficult to offer.

22 minutes ago, rayl1234 said:

I am guessing the board is a significant % of the cost for the Brooklyn... unlike the Manhattan where the margins are larger... Hence an upgrade is more difficult to offer.

I don't think the board is that costly compared to the MSRP of the product.