IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

So, it wouldn't play eg my mono Pet Sounds cd from the Beach Boys box set of about a decade back?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

No, a mono cd will, when ripped, result in equal right and left channels and will play fine. My downloaded tracks are just single mono streams, so to say.

It's quite weird that my humble Olive 4 has no problem playing such tracks, and the sophisticated Brooklyn just ignores them.

Marc

Someone please do correct me if am wrong, but I believe that Mytek originally promised DSD256 upsampling for the Manhattan I, with various indicated release dates for the firmware upgrade which, by version 1.4 of the manual (the last version), had been extended to Q3/2015 but it has still not happened (even though many retailers still market it on that capability). Nor, to date, has their "as soon as possible" fix for their USB2 driver seen the light of day to allow compatibility on OSX above Yosemite.

If I am mistaken in what I have said, please point me in the direction of the firmware updates, and I happily apologise in advance.

I love my Mytek, but (sadly), as it stands, if I were to ever buy one of their products again it would solely be on the basis of "as is" not "as may become".

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

Someone please do correct me if am wrong, but I believe that Mytek originally promised DSD256 upsampling for the Manhattan I, with various indicated release dates for the firmware upgrade which, by version 1.4 of the manual (the last version), had been extended to Q3/2015 but it has still not happened (even though many retailers still market it on that capability). Nor, to date, has their "as soon as possible" fix for their USB2 driver seen the light of day to allow compatibility on OSX above Yosemite.

You're right about the USB driver. Since the Brooklyn and the Manhattan II are both driverless for Mac & Linux, I doubt they'll ever fix that problem. If Mytek proves me wrong, I'll be happy, obviously.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Hi all, I have posted to this forum before regarding issues getting HQPlayer to work with Roon. I recently had to have the GPU replaced in my computer and had to reinstall HQP and Roon. Ever since then, I am not able to upsample to DSD256. I have the latest firmware installed on my Brooklyn, I have set up the audio settings for my Brooklyn in Roon, and have enabled HQP in Roon. My HQP settings are:

Backend: ASIO

Device: Mytek USB Audio

Channels: 2

Channel Offset: 0

SDM Pack: None

Buffer Time: 100ms

DAC Bits: 32

Alt DSD: Not Checked

PCM Defaults: Filter: poly-sinc-shrt-mp

SDM Defaults: Oversampling: poly-sinc-shrt-mp

Dither: Gauss1

Modulator: DSD5

Sample Rate (/limit): 384000

Bit Rate (/limit): 11289600

Vol Min: -60dB

Vol Max: -3dB

Pipeline SDM: Checked

CUDA Offload: Checked

Auto rate family: Checked

DSDIFF/DSF:

DirectSDM: Unchecked

6dB Gain: Unchecked

Conversion Type: poly-shrt-mp

Noise Filter: Standard

Integrator: IIR

When I start Roon with HQP, it automatically takes away (turns red) the DSD256 setting and I get weird, slow, rumbling sound out of the speakers.

My computer is a custom build running Windows 10, Intel i7-4790 @4GHz and 32GB RAM. I would imagine that I have enough processing power to run Roon/HQP at the current settings so I'm at a loss for what is going on.

I would not suggest a car battery, or most other types of batteries. I have tried them in the past, and they tend to sound "dark" and overly warm, with a closed-in soundstage. If you like the idea of a power supply that will get your gear separated from dirty AC power, Vinnie Rossi is supposed to be coming out with an ultracap power supply that will work with the Brooklyn. I have ordered a smaller ultracap power supply from Uptone Audio to try on my Microrendu, which is streaming to my Brooklyn DAC. If I like what it does better than my current DC power supply, I will be getting the bigger one from Vinnie when it comes out.

I just found you interesting post from:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/stereophile-mytek-brooklyn-better-than-it-measures

I tried 3 different power supplies on the Brooklyn....An HDPlex 100, a Keces ,and one "non-audiophile" one, which is built like a tank and quite affordable... An Astron RS-12A. I found the HDPlex and the Keces were quite "soft" sounding, and did not improve detail or imaging. I read a post on Computer Audiophile about the Brooklyn, and someone mentioned the Astron, which is American made. I picked up a used one for well under $100. It puts out 13.8 volts, but can be turned down to 12 volts by adjusting it inside. To my surprise, the Astron sounded fantastic, with a lot more clarity, energy, and detail. I had also tried various AC cords going to the Brooklyns own power supply, which just resulted in modest tonal changes to the sound.

Any progress and new conclusions with testing Astron RS-12A and DAC Brooklyn ?

The look inside the Astron RS-12A is not unsurprisingly (price $107)

Linear DC Supply 13.8vdc 12 amps

- Output Voltage: 13.8 VDC (+/- 0.05 V) Internally Adjustable (11-15 V)

- Continuous Amperage Output 9 Amps- ICS (Surge) Amperage Output 12 Amps

- Solid State Electronically Regulated- Fold-Back Current Limiting

- Protects Power Supply from Excessive Current & Continuous Shorted Output

- Ripple Less than 5 mV Peak to Peak Full Load and Low Line

- Maintain Regulation & Low Ripple at Low Line Input Voltage

- Three Conductor Power Cord

I play DSD256 with Jriver and Brooklyn without any issues. The sample rate shows 11.2 MHz so not sure if this makes a difference

Yeah.

44.1 (kHz) x (DSD) 256 = 11.2896 MHz.

48 (kHz) x (DSD) 256 = 12.288 MHz.

when I play a file with a base sample rate of 48 (48,96,192,384), I'd like to try keeping it as a multiple of 48 by upsampling to 12.288.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

[ATTACH]30559[/ATTACH]A screenshot from my jremote playing DSD256 without DOP. DOP was required with my chord Mojo but not with the Brooklyn

The JRemote is only remote control for JRiver, the DoP (DSD over PCM) is one with methods

of bitstreaming in Jriver (sending DSD binary data to DAC). Because DAC Brooklyn have limitations

in probe frequency to 384kHz for PCM, so far it was not possible to use DoP v1.0 standard (only v1.1)

and DSD256 format - DAC need support for 768kHz to mark DSD256 format in PCM header.

With a DAC that supports native DSD playback, it is possible to bitstream DSD with: ASIO 2.2,

DoP v1.0 (DSD over PCM) and DoPE (DSD over DLNA)

More info in page: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD

So, did you use ASIO 2.2 to playing DSD256 ?

The JRemote is only remote control for JRiver, the DoP (DSD over PCM) is one with methods

of bitstreaming in Jriver (sending DSD binary data to DAC). Because DAC Brooklyn have limitations

in probe frequency to 384kHz for PCM, so far it was not possible to use DoP v1.0 standard (only v1.1)

and DSD256 format - DAC need support for 768kHz to mark DSD256 format in PCM header.

With a DAC that supports native DSD playback, it is possible to bitstream DSD with: ASIO 2.2,

DoP v1.0 (DSD over PCM) and DoPE (DSD over DLNA)

More info in page: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD

So, did you use ASIO 2.2 to playing DSD256 ?

Thats how I set it up DSD bitstream through Mytek ASIO driver

IMG_1478743282.254185.jpg

A nice review in this months Stereophile . JA mentioned that the measurements are superb and he noted "Color Me Impressed".

I'm shooting to have my review done today or tomorrow. I'm very tempted to look at the measurements to see if what I hear can be correlated to the measurements, but I don't want to "color" my judgement and influence my writing before it's published. Plus, I haven't read another writer's review in years. John does great work, but I don't want to be accidentally influenced by another's writing. Thus, I don't read the other guys.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I'm very tempted to look at the measurements to see if what I hear can be correlated to the measurements

IMHO measurements are just loosely correlated to what one hears. That's why almost everybody strives to get a 'better' power supply while the internal power supply measures fine.

Perfect measurements can go along, but don't need to, with 'musicality', 'involvement', 'attractiveness' and all that kind of human stuff.

Marc

I like JA from Stereophile too. I wouldn't subscribe to the magazine if he wasn't providing the measurements. Keeps manufacturers honest. A good example is the review of the $10,000 Metronome CD player DAC with $40 Amanero USB board in it. The measurements were terrible!