IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

I'll have a play!

Have fun!

Also as reported, keep in mind that external LPS makes a very noticeable difference in SQ but I would get used to the Bklyn "neat" before investing. I will say that based on friend's experience the SBooster BOTM 12-13V supply sounds extremely good...in fact very close to the SQ of my Manhattan I.

It should be noted that Michal at Mytek designed preamps in a previous life which might indicate why the Brooklyn sounds great with its internal preamp as well as why the phonostage sounds great also.

I and a friend both found that setting the Brooklyn for ANALOG (with gain set for 100) in conjunction with a preamp gave the best sonics. Another friend actually found that doing the same but with Bklyn set for DIGITAL sounded best.

I think you need to experiment since it not a case of what if globally better...but what works best for you.

As always, YMMV!

+1

Finally, I decided to use both the Brooklyn and my (pre)amp, the last at half the max output, so that the Brooklyn never can blow me away again when I inadvertently set bypass on with my clumsy fingers.

But what sounds best is not my concern. One of these days someone with those famous golden ears told me that I should not change anything at all, because it sounded perfect in his ears. When he was here previously he still had something to moan about. a015.gif

Marc

I'm looking forward to having a play. I've had the Brooklyn a couple of months or so now and have been listening to it directly into my power amps until I was used to the sound, as I have been adding the Wyred 4 sound recovery, cables and an LPS for my Mac mini. Yesterday I wired it through my valve pre-amp just before I left to travel off shore for work. It certainly sounded sweeter with greater depth and space between the instruments. I'm looking forward to having a play with the settings when I get back home in a couple of weeks, whilst I'm ordering a LPS!

Hi, anyone on the Brooklyn thread using their Brooklyn with HQPlayer+Roon. I got everything set up last night for PCM and DSD playback. I set HQP to upsample to the highest PCM rate the Brooklyn will handle (32 bit 384kHz) and also the highest DSD rate the Brooklyn will handle (11,289,600 MHz). The display on the Brooklyn never changes from 32 bit 384 kHz. Has anyone else experienced this, or do I have my settings in HQP wrong?

Allright, time to step up and share my experiences after reading here for some time. As a fellow dutchy to Marc I use the brooklyn since early april this year. And i like it. I have an interesting issue right now. I have installed firmware 2.21 this week en was almost shocked by the much better usb SQ. Next to that, I had a lot of bitrate issues before and they were gone with firmware 2.21............ But just for 2 days. Now my usb playback bitrate is fixed at 32 bit (again) and the SQ is back to how it was before 2.21. Not as good as it was after installing 2.21. And no MQA anymore. But the fact is, it still is firmware version 2.21.. Anyone recognizing this? I tried to install it again in bootloader mode but that did not work...

And my english is a bit rusty so be gentle.....;-)

I do not listen much my system probably for only once a week but I have to say I am very happy. I wanted buy mainly one diy top preamp and wanted see how big difference there will be against Brooklyn preamp and wanted try separate power supply but unfortunately money is tight a little now. Anyway I think sound is amazing via DAC/PRE of the Brooklyn to my lovely active speaker. I am actually quite surprised that preamp in the Brooklyn is also quality very usable.

Have to upgrade firmware and finally also try MQA :D..

Is it here anybody who have chance to listen Yggdrasil next to the Brooklyn? It is quite popular dac on headfi etc..

I am setting up HQ Player for the first time with a new Brooklyn fed via a Microrendu. Pretty capable desktop, but not Cuda rich.

What settings would you recommend that I start with? (It's a pretty intimidating learning curve.)

Thanks!

Roon + HQ Player; Trinnov Altitude32; Bricasti M3 with Ethernet and headphone amp; Pro Audio Technology 28212ai active speakers and amps plus four 15" subs; MSB Reference DAC wi/ Digital Director; Antipodes K50 server; MadVR video processing with JVC NZ9 projector; Kii3 + Control in another room; Accourate, Trinnov, and Dirac bass management and room correction; extensive RPG room treatment; HifiMan and Focal cans; Decware Taboo Mk3; 20 amp hospital grade UPS; EtherRegen, Sonore Empirical Audio and SOTM, all on LPS, feeding DACs

Also, I too am not seeing higher than 384k 32 bit for all PCM files, or, higher than DSD64 for all DSF files, independent of any settings I apply in HQ Player. (I can get less than 384k if I set sampling to, say, 96 or 44).

Roon + HQ Player; Trinnov Altitude32; Bricasti M3 with Ethernet and headphone amp; Pro Audio Technology 28212ai active speakers and amps plus four 15" subs; MSB Reference DAC wi/ Digital Director; Antipodes K50 server; MadVR video processing with JVC NZ9 projector; Kii3 + Control in another room; Accourate, Trinnov, and Dirac bass management and room correction; extensive RPG room treatment; HifiMan and Focal cans; Decware Taboo Mk3; 20 amp hospital grade UPS; EtherRegen, Sonore Empirical Audio and SOTM, all on LPS, feeding DACs

I am setting up HQ Player for the first time with a new Brooklyn fed via a Microrendu. Pretty capable desktop, but not Cuda rich.

What settings would you recommend that I start with? (It's a pretty intimidating learning curve.)

Thanks!

Here is what I use with roon/hqplayer/microrendu/brooklyn...I upsample everything to DSD256:

Channels 2

Ch offset 0

SDM none

2 wire unchecked

Buffer 100 ms

DAC bits default

SDM Defaults

poly-sinc-shrt-mp

ASDM7

Pipeline SDM checked

CUDA checked (if you have a CUDA enabled card installed)

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

Hi, anyone on the Brooklyn thread using their Brooklyn with HQPlayer+Roon. I got everything set up last night for PCM and DSD playback. I set HQP to upsample to the highest PCM rate the Brooklyn will handle (32 bit 384kHz) and also the highest DSD rate the Brooklyn will handle (11,289,600 MHz). The display on the Brooklyn never changes from 32 bit 384 kHz. Has anyone else experienced this, or do I have my settings in HQP wrong?

I initially had the same issues and even had a thread going on the HQPlayer forum. I uninstalled HQPlayer and reinstalled it and it is working fine now, but I am not able to use any of the PCM settings; only DSD256.

My current settings:

Channels: 2

Channel Offset: 0

SDM Pack: None

Buffer Time: 250ms

DAC Bits: 32

AltDSD: Unchecked

PCM Default: poly-sinc-shrt-mp

SDM Default: poly-sinc-shrt-mp

Dither: Gauss1

Modulator: DSD7

Sample Rate: 384000

Bit Rate: 11289600

Vol Min: -60dB

Vol Max: -3dB

Cuda Offload

I initially had the same issues and even had a thread going on the HQPlayer forum. I uninstalled HQPlayer and reinstalled it and it is working fine now, but I am not able to use any of the PCM settings; only DSD256.

My current settings:

Channels: 2

Channel Offset: 0

SDM Pack: None

Buffer Time: 250ms

DAC Bits: 32

AltDSD: Unchecked

PCM Default: poly-sinc-shrt-mp

SDM Default: poly-sinc-shrt-mp

Dither: Gauss1

Modulator: DSD7

Sample Rate: 384000

Bit Rate: 11289600

Vol Min: -60dB

Vol Max: -3dB

Cuda Offload

The key to switching between SDM and PCM is not in the settings panel...its in the player panel. While noting is playing just select either PCM or SDM in the right hand dropdown. When I do this either PCM (DXD) or SDM (DSD) is sent to the brooklyn (via the microrendu) and it shows up as such in the brooklyn display. Incidentally I'm using poly-sinc-shrt-mp / NS5 / 352800 for the PCM settings. I don't check the Auto rate family button.

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

The key to switching between SDM and PCM is not in the settings panel...its in the player panel. While noting is playing just select either PCM or SDM in the right hand dropdown. When I do this either PCM (DXD) or SDM (DSD) is sent to the brooklyn (via the microrendu) and it shows up as such in the brooklyn display. Incidentally I'm using poly-sinc-shrt-mp / NS5 / 352800 for the PCM settings. I don't check the Auto rate family button.

I was under the impression that I could listen to PCM and DSD upconverted in their native format, i.e., PCM at 384,000 and DSD at 11289600, without having to select one over the other. So if I have a 24/192kHz recording, it would be automatically upconverted to 384000kHz and if the next song were DSD64, it would automatically be upconverted to 11289600, without any interaction from me.

I was under the impression that I could listen to PCM and DSD upconverted in their native format, i.e., PCM at 384,000 and DSD at 11289600, without having to select one over the other. So if I have a 24/192kHz recording, it would be automatically upconverted to 384000kHz and if the next song were DSD64, it would automatically be upconverted to 11289600, without any interaction from me.

Correct, just choose auto in player panel instead of either SDM or PCM. Just did that now and its working great. Incidentally if you are going to upsample PCM of different sampling frequencies (e.g., redbook and 24/192 or 24/96) make sure to check autorate family in the settings panel. This will then upsample to the proper frequency multiple...for instance redbook goes to 352 not 384 while 24/192 goes to 384. I just did a test playlist (in Roon) and had a redbook file followed by a DSD256 followed by a 24/192 followed by a DSD64. The dsd's upsampled to dsd256 while the redbook went to 352 and the 24/192 went to 384. Worked flawlessly. Typically I just upsample everything to DSD256, however.

Robert

I don't know what it is with HQPlayer on my PC, but I checked autorate and have auto checked in HQPlayer and now all it will output is 352.8. I also stopped HQPlayer checked SDM and HQPlayer will not output a signal higher than 352.8.

That's what you would get if you are trying to output a red box or 24/88 file. What file format are you trying to output that gives that?

Robert

That's what you would get if you are trying to output a red box or 24/88 file. What file format are you trying to output that gives that?

Robert

I am getting that with all file formats: redbook, 24/88, 24/96, 24/192, DXD, 384, DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256

I am getting that with all file formats: redbook, 24/88, 24/96, 24/192, DXD, 384, DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256

That's what you are seeing both in the HQplayer display (at the bottom of the time box) and the brooklyn display? I'm assuming you have tried restarting the brooklyn and the computer after making those selections? Do you have the most recent firmware in the Brooklyn including the driver? If you don't check autorate family, and you manually select either PCM or SDM do they work there or do you still only get PCM?

Robert

Dear Mytek/Michal,

There's increasing interest in Audio-over-IP solutions such as Dante networking.

AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/focusrite-rednet-28878/

etc etc

Given that Mytek straddle the professional and audiophile worlds, they'd be really well-placed to take advantage of this.

I know there's an interface card for the 8x192 ADDA, but has any thought been given to producing a Mytek Brooklyn with Dante input? I'm sure it would be amazing and given that the Brooklyn is also used in professional environments, I'm sure would have interest there too.

Just a thought....

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

I haven't heard anything yet for the internal module for the Manhattan..... I hoped for this to be released then maybe a separate module for the Brooklyn. ...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Manhattan II web page just says:

"Compatible w/ Roon, Airplay, DLNA/UpnP, Spotify Connect, IOS, Android"

https://mytekdigital.com/hifi/products/manhattan/

...so seems more consumer-orientated than pro in terms of network functionality.

I don't see how you could just add module to the Brooklyn (unfortunately) given it has no Ethernet port or module slot. Seems you'd need a new model variant....

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer